Proving/Disproving "Every Pot Has a Lid

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving the phrase "every pot has a lid" and its validity. The problem is poorly phrased and involves real-world concepts, making it difficult to solve using regular mathematical vocabulary. The expert suggests asking the teacher to restate the problem in a clearer, purely mathematical form.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a phrase in English, and I need to determine if it is true or false. If it is true, I need to prove it, and if it is false, I need to disprove it.

The phrase is based on the famous phrase "every pot has a lid", and it goes like this:

"If there exist an infinite set of lids, then, all pots has a lid (every pot has a lid)".

As you can see, I have the "if-then" connector here ([tex] \implies [/tex]), along with the two quantifiers (all and exist). I am not sure how to prove or disprove it.

On one hand, it sounds invalid, since having an infinite number of lids doesn't mean that there is no pot without a lid. On the other hand, the number of pots and number of lids are both natural numbers, and so the cardinality of both is equal, I think.

I was trying to write this down using predicates (using [tex] \forall \exists \implies \therefore [/tex]), but couldn't do it.

Can you please assist in solving this problem ?

Thank you in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
"If there exist an infinite set of lids, then, all pots has a lid (every pot has a lid)".
If I were you, my first reaction would be to refuse to solve this problem. Making mathematical questions in such a way that they essentially involve knowledge about our world of physics, biology and human relationships is a poor way of constructing problems. Yes, problems for younger students often involve names and real situations, e.g., "A teacher announced that she is forming a student theater. Only senior students are eligible, and there has to be at least 14 members...". But such descriptions are readily translated into a purely mathematical model about sets, numbers, functions and so on. If one needs to know what the relationship between a pot and a lid is and how many pots are there in the world (countable and uncountable numbers are both impossible in our physical world), this is not good.

So I would ask you teacher to state the problem using regular mathematical vocabulary. If you have any guesses about the meaning of this phrase, feel free to say.

Thank you, I like your answer. I thought it was only me who thought this problem wasn't phrased properly.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If I were you, my first reaction would be to refuse to solve this problem. Making mathematical questions in such a way that they essentially involve knowledge about our world of physics, biology and human relationships is a poor way of constructing problems. Yes, problems for younger students often involve names and real situations, e.g., "A teacher announced that she is forming a student theater. Only senior students are eligible, and there has to be at least 14 members...". But such descriptions are readily translated into a purely mathematical model about sets, numbers, functions and so on. If one needs to know what the relationship between a pot and a lid is and how many pots are there in the world (countable and uncountable numbers are both impossible in our physical world), this is not good.

So I would ask you teacher to state the problem using regular mathematical vocabulary. If you have any guesses about the meaning of this phrase, feel free to say.

Unfortunately some teachers/lecturers seem to love this sort of ambiguity. I would not be surprised if OP mentioned this to his prof. and got a response of "Oh yeah yeah of course, just assume bla bla and so and so"...

FAQ: Proving/Disproving "Every Pot Has a Lid

1. Can you really prove or disprove the saying "every pot has a lid"?

As a scientist, I cannot prove or disprove a saying or idiom. These statements are often based on beliefs or superstitions, rather than scientific evidence. However, I can investigate the concept of matching objects or pairs and see if there is any validity to the saying.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the saying "every pot has a lid"?

There is no scientific evidence that directly supports this saying. However, there are studies that have shown that humans tend to seek patterns and connections between objects, which could explain why we often believe that every pot has a lid.

3. What factors determine whether a pot has a lid or not?

The main factor is the design and purpose of the pot. Some pots are meant to be used without a lid, such as frying pans or woks, while others are designed specifically to be used with a lid, such as soup pots or saucepans. The size and shape of the pot can also play a role in whether a lid is needed or not.

4. Can you give an example of a pot that does not have a lid?

As mentioned before, pots that are designed for cooking methods like frying or stir-frying typically do not have lids. For example, a traditional wok does not have a lid because it is used for high-heat cooking methods that require constant stirring and tossing of ingredients.

5. How does the saying "every pot has a lid" relate to science?

The saying relates to the human tendency to seek patterns and connections between objects. In science, this can be seen in the study of symmetry and matching objects. However, it should be noted that this saying is not a scientific concept or principle, but rather a common phrase that is based on perceived patterns and beliefs.