Proving dN/ds=−κT+τB: A Differential Geometry Homework Solution

• Thread starter Murtuza Tipu
  • Start date
In summary, the question involves proving dN/ds = -κT + τB, and the mark scheme states that it follows from the previous item and B = T×N. The next step is to show that dN/ds must be orthogonal to N, and it can be expressed as C*T + D*B. The already proven value of C allows us to find D.
Murtuza Tipu

Homework Statement

Currently revising for a differential geometry exam. The question I am working on is one of those types where the next part of the question follows from the last. I've gotten to the point where I have proven T⋅dNds=−κ,

Homework Equations

The next part is where I got stuck, which is to prove dN/ds=−κT+τB. I looked at the mark scheme

The Attempt at a Solution

it said "Follows from previous item, and B=T×N". I simply don't see how it follows, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Murtuza Tipu said:

Homework Statement

Currently revising for a differential geometry exam. The question I am working on is one of those types where the next part of the question follows from the last. I've gotten to the point where I have proven T⋅dNds=−κ,

Homework Equations

The next part is where I got stuck, which is to prove dN/ds=−κT+τB. I looked at the mark scheme

The Attempt at a Solution

it said "Follows from previous item, and B=T×N". I simply don't see how it follows, though.

You know that [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{N}}{ds}[/itex] must be orthogonal to [itex]\mathbf{N}[/itex]. Hence [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{N}}{ds} = C\mathbf{T} + D\mathbf{B}[/itex] for some [itex]C(s)[/itex] and [itex]D(s)[/itex]. You have shown that [itex]C = -\kappa[/itex]. How do you think you should go about finding [itex]D[/itex]?

FAQ: Proving dN/ds=−κT+τB: A Differential Geometry Homework Solution

1. What is the meaning of dN/ds in the equation dN/ds=-κT+τB?

The term dN/ds represents the change in the unit normal vector N along the curve with respect to the arc length s. It is a measure of the curvature of the curve at a particular point.

2. What does κ represent in the equation dN/ds=-κT+τB?

κ, also known as the curvature, is a measure of how quickly a curve deviates from being a straight line at a particular point. It is equal to the reciprocal of the radius of the osculating circle at that point.

3. What is the significance of τ in the equation dN/ds=-κT+τB?

τ, also known as the torsion, measures the rate of change of the normal vector N along the curve. It is a measure of how the curve twists or turns in space.

4. How is the equation dN/ds=-κT+τB used in differential geometry?

This equation is used to describe the relationship between the curvature and torsion of a curve in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can you provide an example of how this equation is applied in real-world situations?

One example of how this equation is used is in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations of objects moving in space. By using the values of κ and τ, the computer can accurately simulate the movement of objects along a curved path.

Back