Proving Every Uncountable Subset on Real Line Has Limit Point | Hint Included

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving that every uncountable subset of the real line has a limit point. The hint given is that the union of a countable family of finite sets is countable. The conversation discusses different approaches to proving this statement, including using the fact that a closed bounded interval contains a limit point and decomposing the set into countable subsets. Ultimately, the solution involves intersecting the set with each bounded interval on the real line.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

Prove that every uncountable subset of the real lline has a limit point. There is a hint: The union of a countable family of finite sets is countable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please give me more hints. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
qinglong.1397 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that every uncountable subset of the real lline has a limit point. There is a hint: The union of a countable family of finite sets is countable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please give me more hints. Thanks a lot!

If a closed bounded interval contains an infinite number of points, then it contains a limit point. Do you know this or can you prove it?

Dick said:
If a closed bounded interval contains an infinite number of points, then it contains a limit point. Do you know this or can you prove it?

Yes. I can. It is pretty easy.

qinglong.1397 said:
Yes. I can. It is pretty easy.

Well, then, if the set doesn't have a limit point, then every interval must contain a finite number of points, right?

Dick said:
Well, then, if the set doesn't have a limit point, then every interval must contain a finite number of points, right?

I think it is right for the bounded interval. But now, the interval is actually a set of some finite discrete points, isn't it?

So I should first suppose that the opposite statement is true. Then show that every uncountable subset of real line can be decomposed into countably many subsets. Some of them are intervals. Then I should prove that any interval has a limit point. So the uncountable subset consists of countable subsets which are finite. Is that right?

qinglong.1397 said:
I think it is right for the bounded interval. But now, the interval is actually a set of some finite discrete points, isn't it?

So I should first suppose that the opposite statement is true. Then show that every uncountable subset of real line can be decomposed into countably many subsets. Some of them are intervals. Then I should prove that any interval has a limit point. So the uncountable subset consists of countable subsets which are finite. Is that right?

The real line is a countable union of bounded intervals. Intersect your set with each interval.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The real line is a countable union of bounded intervals. Intersect your set with each interval.

Oh, I see. Thank you very much!

FAQ: Proving Every Uncountable Subset on Real Line Has Limit Point | Hint Included

1. What is the purpose of asking for more hints?

The purpose of asking for more hints is to gain a better understanding or clarification on a particular topic or problem. It can also help to guide further research or experiments.

2. How can I effectively ask for more hints?

To effectively ask for more hints, it is important to be specific about what you are struggling with and provide context or background information. It is also helpful to ask open-ended questions that encourage the person to provide more detailed explanations.

3. Why is it important to ask for more hints in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, asking for more hints can help to improve understanding and promote critical thinking. It also allows for collaboration and learning from others, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements.

4. How many times is it appropriate to ask for more hints?

There is no specific number of times that is considered appropriate to ask for more hints. It is important to use your best judgment and not rely too heavily on hints, as it can hinder your own problem-solving skills. However, if you are genuinely struggling and need more guidance, it is acceptable to ask for more hints as needed.

5. Is it okay to ask for more hints from multiple sources?

Yes, it is okay to ask for more hints from multiple sources. This can provide different perspectives and approaches to the problem, leading to a deeper understanding and potential solutions. However, it is important to properly cite and credit the sources if their hints or information were used in your work.

Back