Proving Existence and Uniqueness for x in ℝ in a Quartic Equation

In summary, the equation x/√(x2+y12)-(l-x)/√((l-x)2+y22)=0 has a unique solution for x in the set of real numbers, as proven by the existence and uniqueness proofs. Despite the initial belief that isolating x would result in a messy quartic equation, it was actually easy to isolate x by squaring both sides and simplifying. The derivative of the equation is always positive, further supporting the existence of a unique solution for x.
Harrisonized

Homework Statement

x/√(x2+y12)-(l-x)/√((l-x)2+y22)=0

How do I prove that the above equation has a solution for x in ℝ and that the solution is unique?

(y1, y2, and l are constants.)

Homework Equations

x√((l-x)2+y22)-(l-x)√(x2+y12)=0

x√((l-x)2+y22)+x√(x2+y12)=l√(x2+y12)

x[1+√((l-x)2+y22)/√(x2+y12)]=l=f(x)

I actually don't think it's plausible to isolate x, since it'll result in a quartic equation, which is messy.

The Attempt at a Solution

Existence

Observe that the square root of a real number is always positive. Then lim(x→-∞)f(x)=-∞ and lim(x→∞)f(x)=∞. Since l is a continuous function, there must be at least one value of x that equals the constant l.

Uniqueness

I was told that in general, existence proofs start with the assumption that two different values x1 and x2 satisfy the equation, and then show that the two values are actually the same, but I really don't feel like solving a quartic equation.

So I'm going to make an observation. Observe that f(x) is a purely increasing function. Hence, df/dx is always positive.

df/dx=[1+√((l-x)2+y22)/√(x2+y12)]+x*(d/dx)[√((l-x)2+y22)/√(x2+y12)]

(d/dx)[√((l-x)2+y22)/√(x2+y12)]=-(l-x)/[√((l-x)2+y22)√(x2+y12)]-x√((l-x)2+y22)/(x2+y12)3/2

df/dx=[1+√((l-x)2+y22)/√(x2+y12)]+x*[-(l-x)/[√((l-x)2+y22)√(x2+y12)]-x√((l-x)2+y22)/(x2+y12)3/2]

So messy...

I'm not even sure if df/dx is always positive. It just appears to be that way when I graph it.

-----

By the way, I know this "proof" isn't rigorous at all, but I've never taken an analysis course. I also don't know how large the difference is between "sufficient" and "complete", but I think the assumption of continuity and limits is sufficient here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You gave up way too easily in trying to isolate x. It's actually really easy. Write the two terms on two different sides of the '=' and square both sides. It falls part pretty easily and the higher degree stuff cancels to give you a quadratic. An EASY quadratic.

Actually, the problem I was trying to solve was

x/(c√(x2+y12))-(l-x)/(v√((l-x)2+y22))=0

I didn't type out the extra coefficients c and v last night because I didn't think it'd make a difference, but apparently it does. Sorry about that. The above definitely does not reduce to an easy quadratic, or I would have done it. :(

Edit: After taking the derivative, I've found that it equals

[1/(c√(x2+y12))][1-x2/(x2+y12)] + [1/(v√((l-x)2+y22))][1-(l-x)2/((l-x)2+y22)], which is always positive, since:

x2/(x2+y12)

and (l-x)2/((l-x)2+y22)

can never be greater than 1.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proving Existence and Uniqueness for x in ℝ in a Quartic Equation

1. What is the concept of "Existence and Uniqueness" in science?

The concept of "Existence and Uniqueness" in science refers to the existence and uniqueness of solutions to mathematical equations or models. It is a fundamental principle in mathematics and physics that states that given certain initial conditions, there exists a unique solution to a problem.

2. Why is "Existence and Uniqueness" important in scientific research?

"Existence and Uniqueness" is important in scientific research because it ensures that the solutions to mathematical equations are well-defined and consistent. It also allows scientists to make accurate predictions and understand the behavior of systems in the natural world.

3. What are the implications of violating the principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" in science?

If the principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" is violated, it can lead to inconsistent or non-existent solutions to mathematical equations. This can result in incorrect predictions and models that do not accurately reflect the behavior of natural systems.

4. How is the principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" applied in different fields of science?

The principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" is applied in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and applied mathematics. It is used to solve problems related to differential equations, optimization, and modeling of physical systems.

5. Can the principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" be proven?

No, the principle of "Existence and Uniqueness" cannot be proven. It is a fundamental assumption in mathematics and science, and its validity is accepted based on the fact that it consistently produces accurate and reliable results in various fields of study.