Proving Existence of Equal Values in Continuous Functions with Equal Integrals

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of leadership and the qualities that make a good leader. The participants discussed the importance of communication, decision making, and adaptability in a leader. They also touched upon the role of empathy and humility in effective leadership. Overall, the conversation emphasized the idea that a good leader is someone who can inspire and guide their team towards success.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Talking)

I am given this exercise:

Let $f,g:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ continuous functions such that $\int_a^b f(x) dx=\int_a^b g(x) dx$. Show that $\exists x_0 \in [a,b]$ such that $f(x_0)=g(x_0)$ .

That's what I thought:

We consider the function $h(x)=f(x)-g(x)$. So we have to show that if $h:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ continuous and $\int_a^b h(x) dx=0$,then $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0.$

Let's suppose that $h(x) \neq 0, \forall x \in [a,b]$.
Then $h(x)>0 \text{ or } h(x)<0$ in $[a,b]$.
Let $h(x)>0 , \forall x \in [a,b]$
Then $f(x)-g(x)>0 \Rightarrow f(x)>g(x) \Rightarrow \int_a^b f(x) dx > \int_a^b g(x) dx \Rightarrow \int_a^b (f(x)-g(x)) dx>0 \Rightarrow \int_a^b h(x) dx>0$,that can't be true,since $\int_a^b h(x) dx=0$.
So, $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0$ .

Could you tell me if it is right? (Blush) (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
A whatever theorem claims that:

If \(\displaystyle h\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle [a,b]\), there is a point \(\displaystyle x_0\in [a,b]\), such that

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=h(x_0)(b-a)\).

Now let \(\displaystyle h=f-g\). Can you begin with this?

stainburg said:
A whatever theorem claims that:

If \(\displaystyle h\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle [a,b]\), there is a point \(\displaystyle x_0\in [a,b]\), such that

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=h(x_0)(b-a)\).

Now let \(\displaystyle h=f-g\). Can you begin with this?

So,you mean that we suppose that $h(x_0) \neq 0$ and we also know that $b-a \neq 0$,and then we conclude that $\int_a^b h(x)dx \neq 0$,that is a contradiction?? :confused:

Is that what I have done wrong?? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So,you mean that we suppose that $h(x_0) \neq 0$ and we also know that $b-a \neq 0$,and then we conclude that $\int_a^b h(x)dx \neq 0$,that is a contradiction?? :confused:

Is that what I have done wrong?? (Thinking)

If you doubt the whatever theorem, I will give some hint.

Clearly, \(\displaystyle h\in \mathcal{R}[a,b]\).

If \(\displaystyle m\leq h(x)\leq M\) at each \(\displaystyle x\in [a,b]\), then

\(\displaystyle m(b-a) \leq \int_a^b h(x)dx \leq M(b-a)\).

Hence, there is a number \(\displaystyle \mu \in [m,M]\) such that

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=\mu (b-a)\).

Since \(\displaystyle h\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle [a,b]\), there must be an \(\displaystyle x_0\in [a,b]\) such that \(\displaystyle h(x_0)=\mu\).

stainburg said:
If you doubt the whatever theorem, I will give some hint.

Clearly, \(\displaystyle h\in \mathcal{R}[a,b]\).

If \(\displaystyle m\leq h(x)\leq M\) at each \(\displaystyle x\in [a,b]\), then

\(\displaystyle m(b-a) \leq \int_a^b h(x)dx \leq M(b-a)\).

Hence, there is a number \(\displaystyle \mu \in [m,M]\) such that

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=\mu (b-a)\).

Since \(\displaystyle h\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle [a,b]\), there must be an \(\displaystyle x_0\in [a,b]\) such that \(\displaystyle h(x_0)=\mu\).

Ok,I understand the theorem! But could you also tell me if that what I tried is right or if I have done something wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ok,I understand the theorem! But could you also tell me if that what I tried is right or if I have done something wrong? (Thinking)

The statement
evinda said:
Let \(\displaystyle h(x)>0\) , \(\displaystyle \forall x \in [a,b]\)

is wrong, because you were not discussing under the condition, \(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=0\).

By the way, you cannot forget the continuity condition.

stainburg said:
The statement is wrong, because you were not discussing under the condition, \(\displaystyle \int_a^b h(x)dx=0\).

By the way, you cannot forget the continuity condition.

Why is it wrong?? (Wondering) I suppose,for contradiction that $h(x) \neq 0, \forall x \in [a,b]$,so it is either $h(x)>0 \text{ or } h(x)<0, \forall x \in [a,b]$.So,I take the case $h(x)>0, \forall x \in [a,b]$ ,and I want to find a relation that is not true,to have the wanted contradiction.

evinda said:
Why is it wrong?? (Wondering) I suppose,for contradiction that $h(x) \neq 0, \forall x \in [a,b]$,so it is either $h(x)>0 \text{ or } h(x)<0, \forall x \in [a,b]$.So,I take the case $h(x)>0, \forall x \in [a,b]$ ,and I want to find a relation that is not true,to have the wanted contradiction.

OK, it's my fault. I really meant that it cannot lead to the conclusion. Continuity is the key. If not (continuous), the conclusion is not true.

evinda said:
Furthermore, I understand what you mean. You want to make sure that both \(\displaystyle g(x)\leq f(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\geq f(x)\) hold on some subsets of [a,b]. This cannot lead to the conclusion. For example,

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\begin{cases} 1,&&0\leq x<1/2\\1/20,&&x=1/2\\0, &&1/2< x\leq 1\end{cases}\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)=1/2\), \(\displaystyle x\in [0,1]\). Clearly, \(\displaystyle \int_0^1f(x)dx=\int_0^1g(x)dx\) but there is no such \(\displaystyle x_0\)

If we want to show that $\exists x_0 \in [a,b]$ such that $h(x_0)=0$,by finding a contradiction, don't we have to suppose that $h(x) \neq 0 , \forall x \in [a,b]$? So, $h(x)>0 \forall x \in [a,b] \text{ or } h(x)<0 \forall x \in [a,b]$.Because, if $h$ would take both positive and negative values in $[a,b]$,according to a theorem,it would exist a point at which it would be equal to $0$.

evinda said:
If we want to show that $\exists x_0 \in [a,b]$ such that $h(x_0)=0$,by finding a contradiction, don't we have to suppose that $h(x) \neq 0 , \forall x \in [a,b]$? So, $h(x)>0 \forall x \in [a,b] \text{ or } h(x)<0 \forall x \in [a,b]$.Because, if $h$ would take both positive and negative values in $[a,b]$,according to a theorem,it would exist a point at which it would be equal to $0$.
Then you should use the continuity condition. That's all.

So you mean that this is wrong:
Then $f(x)-g(x)>0 \Rightarrow f(x)>g(x) \Rightarrow \int_a^b f(x) dx > \int_a^b g(x) dx \Rightarrow \int_a^b (f(x)-g(x)) dx>0 \Rightarrow \int_a^b h(x) dx>0$,that can't be true,since $\int_a^b h(x) dx=0$.
So, $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0$ ??

Do I have to do it in an other way?? :confused:(Wondering) :confused:

evinda said:
So you mean that this is wrong:
So, $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0$ ??

Do I have to do it in an other way?? :confused:(Wondering) :confused:

I think you did it in a complicated way...After all, you have to follow my way...

stainburg said:
I think you did it in a complicated way...After all, you have to follow my way...

I have understood your way... But would my way be also right?? (Wondering)

evinda said:
I have understood your way... But would my way be also right?? (Wondering)

I have shown that if you ignore continuity condition you get nothing.

stainburg said:
I have shown that if you ignore continuity condition you get nothing.

So,do I have to do it like that?

$h$ is continuous,so it has a positive minimum value at $y$, let $h(y)$.So, $h(x) \geq h(y) \Rightarrow \int_a^b h(x) \geq h(y)(b-a)>0 $,that is a contradiction.

evinda said:
So,do I have to do it like that?

$h$ is continuous,so it has a positive minimum value at $y$, let $h(y)$.So, $h(x) \geq h(y) \Rightarrow \int_a^b h(x) \geq h(y)(b-a)>0 $,that is a contradiction.

Yeah, it has something to do with the continuity... but why do you like contradiction so much?

stainburg said:
Yeah, it has something to do with the continuity... but why do you like contradiction so much?

I usually use contradiction to solve such type of problems.. (Nerd)

evinda said:
Hello! (Talking)

I am given this exercise:

Let $f,g:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ continuous functions such that $\int_a^b f(x) dx=\int_a^b g(x) dx$. Show that $\exists x_0 \in [a,b]$ such that $f(x_0)=g(x_0)$ .

That's what I thought:

We consider the function $h(x)=f(x)-g(x)$. So we have to show that if $h:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ continuous and $\int_a^b h(x) dx=0$,then $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0.$

Let's suppose that $h(x) \neq 0, \forall x \in [a,b]$.
Then $h(x)>0 \text{ or } h(x)<0$ in $[a,b]$.
Let $h(x)>0 , \forall x \in [a,b]$
So, $\exists x_0$ such that $h(x_0)=0$ .

Could you tell me if it is right? (Blush) (Thinking)
Your method is correct. In it, you need to use continuity twice. First, you need the intermediate value theorem to justify the assertion that if $h$ takes both positive and negative values, then it must also take the value $0$ somewhere. Second, you need continuity to justify the statement that a strictly positive function has a strictly positive integral.

Opalg said:
Your method is correct. In it, you need to use continuity twice. First, you need the intermediate value theorem to justify the assertion that if $h$ takes both positive and negative values, then it must also take the value $0$ somewhere. Second, you need continuity to justify the statement that a strictly positive function has a strictly positive integral.

Great!Thank you very much! (Party)

FAQ: Proving Existence of Equal Values in Continuous Functions with Equal Integrals

What does it mean to "show that f(x0)=g(x0)?"

Showing that f(x0)=g(x0) means proving that the two functions, f and g, have the same output when their inputs are equal to x0. In other words, it is demonstrating that the two functions are equal at a specific value of x.

How do you prove that f(x0)=g(x0)?

To prove that f(x0)=g(x0), you can use algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other mathematical methods. You can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the two functions and showing that they intersect at x0.

Why is it important to show that f(x0)=g(x0)?

Showing that f(x0)=g(x0) is important because it allows us to verify the equality of two functions at a specific point. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems or in verifying the correctness of a mathematical model.

What are some common mistakes when trying to show that f(x0)=g(x0)?

One common mistake is assuming that f(x0) and g(x0) are equal without proper proof. Another mistake is using incorrect algebraic manipulations or not considering all possible cases. It is also important to ensure that the two functions have the same domain and range at x0.

Can f(x0)=g(x0) be shown for all values of x0?

Not necessarily. It is possible for f(x0) and g(x0) to be equal at one specific value of x0, but not at other values. This is why it is important to specify the value of x0 when showing that f(x0)=g(x0).