Proving Existence of $N$ for $a^N=e$ in Finite Group $G$

In summary, for a finite group $G$, there exists a positive integer $N$ that works for every element $a \in G$ such that $a^N = e$. This can be proven by considering a list of the elements in $G$ and finding a corresponding $N$ for each element. The smallest possible $N$ is the least common multiple of all the orders of the elements in $G$, but a smaller $N$ may also work.
Guest2
If $G$ is a finite group, show that there exists a positive integer $N$ such that $a^N = e$ for all $a \in G$.

All I understand is that G being finite means $G = \left\{g_1, g_2, g_3, \cdots, g_n\right\}$ for some positive integer $n.$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found a proof online. Let me rephrase it if I understand it. Suppose $G$ has $k$ elements. Consider the following list of the elements: $g^1, g^2, \cdots, g^{k+1}$. Since $G$ has only $k$ elements, there must be repetition in our list, say when $k = l$. So we have $g^k = g^l$ and $g^k = g^l \iff g^{k}(g^{-1})^{k} = g^l (g^{-1})^{k} \iff e = g^{l-k}$. Hence we take $N = l-k$, and the proof is complete.

I would never come up with this, however! :(

That shows that there exists such an $N$, for any given (single) $g \in G$. But you're not done yet-you need to find an $N$ that works for EVERY $g$ in $G$.

Deveno said:
That shows that there exists such an $N$, for any given (single) $g \in G$. But you're not done yet-you need to find an $N$ that works for EVERY $g$ in $G$.
Thank you! I thought I was done! (Giggle)

So for any $g_i$ in our list, we have shown that we have corresponding $n_i$ such that $g_i^{n_i} = e.$ So that $n_{i-1}$ works for $g_{i-1}$ (assuming $i > 1$ here). And $n_i \times n_{i-1}$ works for both $g_i$ and $g_{i-1}$ etc. Let $N = n_1 \times n_2 \times \cdots \times n_k$. Then we've $g^N = e$ for every $g \in G.$

Could a smaller $N$ work?

Deveno said:
No, I think, since have $k$ elements this is smallest $N$ that works for every one of them. Not sure, though. (Thinking)

Suppose I have a group of 8 elements where 5 elements have order 2, and 2 elements have order 4, and the identity has order 1.

Is $8 = (1)(2)(4)$ the smallest $N$ that will work?

You're not wrong, the multiple of all the orders will work, but it's a bit inefficient.

Deveno said:
So the answer to this should have been yes, $N = \text{lcm}(n_1, n_2, \cdots, n_k)$ would work?

Related to Proving Existence of $N$ for $a^N=e$ in Finite Group $G$

1. How can we prove the existence of $N$ in a finite group $G$ if $a^N=e$?

In order to prove the existence of $N$, we can use the concept of the order of an element in a group. The order of an element $a$ in a group $G$ is the smallest positive integer $n$ such that $a^n=e$, where $e$ is the identity element of the group. Therefore, by finding the order of $a$, we can determine the existence of $N$ in the finite group $G$.

2. What is the significance of proving the existence of $N$ in a finite group $G$?

Proving the existence of $N$ in a finite group $G$ is important because it allows us to better understand the structure and properties of the group. It also helps us to solve problems and make conclusions about the group and its elements.

3. Can we use any element $a$ in a finite group $G$ to prove the existence of $N$?

No, we cannot use any element $a$ in a finite group $G$ to prove the existence of $N$. The element $a$ must have a finite order, which means that $a^n=e$ for some positive integer $n$. If an element has an infinite order, it cannot be used to prove the existence of $N$.

4. How do we determine the order of an element $a$ in a finite group $G$?

The order of an element $a$ in a finite group $G$ can be determined by finding the smallest positive integer $n$ such that $a^n=e$, where $e$ is the identity element of the group. This can be done by repeatedly multiplying $a$ by itself until the result is equal to the identity element.

5. Can we prove the existence of $N$ in a finite group $G$ using a different method?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the existence of $N$ in a finite group $G$. Some of these methods include Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of an element in a group must divide the order of the group, and Cauchy's theorem, which states that if a prime number divides the order of the group, then there exists an element in the group with that order.