Proving fixed point(s) exist w/ intermediate value theorem

In summary: Then do the same thing for ##g(1)##. Hint: it will not be the same range as for ##g(0)##. Once you have written down the range of possible values for ##g(0)## and the range of possible values for ##g(1)## the next step may become... easier.You are correct, the ranges are not the same. ##g(1)## has a larger range since it can take on any value between -1 and 1.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

Use the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove that any continuous function with domain [0,1] and range in [0,1] must have a fixed point.

Homework Equations

Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT) states that if a function ##f(x)## of domain [##a,b##] takes values ##f(a)## and ##f(b)##, then it also takes any value between ##f(a)## and ##f(b)##.

Fixed points are any points on the line ##y=x##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm awful at proofs. I can understand this statement at a very abstract level, and it appears to be true. But obviously that's not proof. By the IVT, any continuous function, ##f(x)##, with domain [0,1] takes all values between ##f(0)## and ##f(1)##, right? I don't know where to go from here.

Are there any tips anyone can offer on how best to approach this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the function ##g(x)=f(x)-x##.
Is it continuous?
What can we say about ##f(c)## if ##g(c)=0##?
Can you use IVT to prove that ##g## must be zero somewhere on [0,1]?

cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

Use the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove that any continuous function with domain [0,1] and range in [0,1] must have a fixed point.

Homework Equations

Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT) states that if a function ##f(x)## of domain [##a,b##] takes values ##f(a)## and ##f(b)##, then it also takes any value between ##f(a)## and ##f(b)##.

Fixed points are any points on the line ##y=x##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm awful at proofs. I can understand this statement at a very abstract level, and it appears to be true. But obviously that's not proof. By the IVT, any continuous function, ##f(x)##, with domain [0,1] takes all values between ##f(0)## and ##f(1)##, right? I don't know where to go from here.

Are there any tips anyone can offer on how best to approach this proof?
The statement to prove is equivalent to saying that the graph has to intersect the line y = x somewhere.

andrewkirk said:
Consider the function ##g(x)=f(x)-x##.
Is it continuous?
What can we say about ##f(c)## if ##g(c)=0##?
Can you use IVT to prove that ##g## must be zero somewhere on [0,1]?
You'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty slow.

##g(x)## should be continuous. If ##g(c)=0## then ##f(c)=c##. Therefore, there is a fixed point so long as ##g## is zero at some point.

By IVT, I can say that there exist all values, ##a##, where ##g(0) \leq a \leq g(1)##.

Am I heading in the right direction? I don't see where I can use IVT to prove that ##g## must be zero somewhere on [0,1]. Perhaps I'm looking at IVT in the wrong way?

In the simplest terms, I understand IVT to state that there exist all values between the two ##y## values that exist the beginning and end of the domain of a continuous function. How can I leverage this to say that ##g## must be zero at some point? Sorry if I'm missing something extremely obvious.

What are the possible ranges of ##g(0)## and ##g(1)##? Can you use that to work out whether 0 must lie between ##g(0)## and ##g(1)##?

andrewkirk said:
What are the possible ranges of ##g(0)## and ##g(1)##? Can you use that to work out whether 0 must lie between ##g(0)## and ##g(1)##?
The range of the function should be [0,1], from the problem statement, right? Does that have any implications as far as what ##g(0)## and ##g(1)## could be?

cmkluza said:
The range of the function should be [0,1], from the problem statement, right? Does that have any implications as far as what ##g(0)## and ##g(1)## could be?
Sure. Both g(0) and g(1) have to lie somewhere in that interval.

Mark44 said:
In order for ##g(0)## or ##g(1)## to encompass zero, and given that ##0 \leq g(x) \leq 1##, wouldn't that imply that either ##g(0)## or ##g(1)## would have to equal zero? I don't see how I can prove that.

cmkluza said:
In order for ##g(0)## or ##g(1)## to encompass zero,
What do you mean by "encompass zero"?
cmkluza said:
and given that ##0 \leq g(x) \leq 1##, wouldn't that imply that either ##g(0)## or ##g(1)## would have to equal zero?
No. Consider ##y = g(x) = -\frac {1}{2}x^2 + x + \frac 1 2## on the interval [0, 1]. Neither g(0) nor g(1) equals 0.
cmkluza said:
I don't see how I can prove that.

Likes cmkluza
cmkluza said:
Does that have any implications as far as what g(0) and g(1) could be?
Try to reason through it. Start with ##g(0)##. Since ##g(x)=f(x)-x##, that is equal to ##f(0)-0##. What is the range of possible values for that?

Then do the same thing for ##g(1)##. Hint: it will not be the same range as for ##g(0)##. Once you have written down the range of possible values for ##g(0)## and the range of possible values for ##g(1)## the next step may become apparent.

Likes cmkluza
Mark44 said:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure on this. We have ##g(1)=f(1)-1##. Since ##f(x)## lies on [0,1] that means that ##g(1)## must either be zero or negative. Therefore, it's not bounded by that interval ([0,1]), but ##f(x)## is. Is that what you were saying? I think I got mixed up with the bounds and the newly defined function ##g##.
andrewkirk said:
Try to reason through it. Start with ##g(0)##. Since ##g(x)=f(x)-x##, that is equal to ##f(0)-0##. What is the range of possible values for that?

Then do the same thing for ##g(1)##. Hint: it will not be the same range as for ##g(0)##. Once you have written down the range of possible values for ##g(0)## and the range of possible values for ##g(1)## the next step may become apparent.
I think I finally have it. ##g(0)=f(0)##, and since ##f(x)## is in [0,1]. then ##g(0)=f(0)## is either zero or positive. By my logic above, ##g(1)## is either zero or negative. Therefore, by IVT, there exists some value, ##c##, between 0 and 1 where ##g(c) = f(c) - c = 0##, which satisfies the proof, right?

Almost. You need to state, before you apply the IVT, that 0 lies between g(0) and g(1). That follows from the middle sentence of your post, but it needs to be stated before you apply IVT.

Depending on how relaxed your lecturer is, they may want you to also prove that ##g## is continuous rather than assuming it to be obvious. That takes two steps, given that ##f## is continuous. The first is to prove that the function ##x\mapsto x## is continuous which, if you haven't already been given it, is easy to show with an ##\epsilon,\delta## argument. For the second step there is a basic theorem about continuous functions that can be used.

Likes cmkluza
Mark44 said:
cmkluza said:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure on this. We have ##g(1)=f(1)-1##. Since ##f(x)## lies on [0,1] that means that ##g(1)## must either be zero or negative.
You're mixing up what I said with a reply that came later.

I was replying to what you said in post #6:
cmkluza said:
The range of the function should be [0,1], from the problem statement, right? Does that have any implications as far as what g(0) and g(1) could be?

Likes cmkluza

FAQ: Proving fixed point(s) exist w/ intermediate value theorem

What is the intermediate value theorem?

The intermediate value theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function f(x) is defined on a closed interval [a,b] and takes on values f(a) and f(b) at the endpoints, then for any value c between f(a) and f(b), there exists at least one point x=c on the interval [a,b] where f(x) = c.

How does the intermediate value theorem relate to proving fixed points exist?

The intermediate value theorem can be used to prove the existence of a fixed point for a continuous function. If a function f(x) is defined on a closed interval [a,b] and takes on values f(a) and f(b) at the endpoints, then for any value c between f(a) and f(b), there exists at least one point x=c on the interval [a,b] where f(x) = c. This means that there is at least one fixed point on the interval [a,b].

What is a fixed point?

A fixed point of a function is a value x for which f(x) = x. In other words, it is a point on the graph of the function where the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate are equal.

How do you use the intermediate value theorem to prove the existence of a fixed point?

To use the intermediate value theorem to prove the existence of a fixed point, you must show that the function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and that it takes on different values at the endpoints. Then, you can use the theorem to show that there exists at least one point on the interval where f(x) = x, which proves the existence of a fixed point.

What are the limitations of using the intermediate value theorem to prove the existence of fixed points?

The intermediate value theorem can only be used to prove the existence of fixed points for continuous functions on closed intervals. It cannot be used for discontinuous functions or on open intervals. Additionally, the theorem does not provide a method for finding the exact value of the fixed point, it only proves that it exists.