Proving \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b

• Thread starter Government$
  • Start date
In summary, we are tasked with proving that \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b, by showing that (\frac{a+b}{2})^{2}\geq ab. We can do this by observing that (\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b})^2 \geq 0 for all positive real a and b. Also, when proving something for all positive integers a, b, and c, we cannot infer any specific order between them, but we can assume without loss of generality that a \geq b \geq c > 0 if it helps our proof.
Government$

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab}[/itex] for [itex]0 < a \leq b[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]b \geq a[/itex] then [itex]b + a \geq 2a[/itex] and [itex]2b\geq a + b[/itex]
That is [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq a[/itex] and [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\leq b[/itex].

Since [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\leq b[/itex] can i multiply [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq a[/itex] with [itex]b[/itex]?

If i can do that then [itex](\frac{a+b}{2})^{2}\geq ab[/itex] that is:
[itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq \sqrt{ab}[/itex]

On a side note if problem says prove something for all positive intigers a,b and c.
That means that a>0 , b>0, c>0 but can i take from that, [itex]a\geq b\geq c > 0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you go from [itex]b\frac{a+b}{2}\geq ab [/itex]to [itex](\frac{a+b}{2})^{2} \geq ab [/itex]?
You could just square both the right and left side from the start, so that
[itex]0.25a^{2}+0.5ab+0.25b^{2} \geq ab \leftrightarrow 0.25a^{2}+0.25b^{2} \geq 0.5 ab \leftrightarrow a^{2}+b^{2}-2ab \geq 0 \leftrightarrow (a-b)^{2} \geq [/itex]0 which obviously is true.

As for your last question, that does not tell you very much. It tels you that a is larger than or equal to b which is larger than or equal to c which is larger than 0. A more concise way to express the stipulation is to write
[itex]a,b,c \in N[/itex]
or
[itex]a,b,c \in Z^{+}[/itex]

Well i thought that since b≥ (a+b)/2 and (a+b)/2 * b = ((a+b)/2)^2 (because it can be b = (a+b)/2)

Government$ said:
Well i thought that since b≥ (a+b)/2 and (a+b)/2 * b = ((a+b)/2)^2 (because it can be b = (a+b)/2)
But you can't treat this as an equality, which is what you seem to be doing.

Government$ said:
Since [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\leq b[/itex] can i multiply [itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq a[/itex] with [itex]b[/itex]?

If i can do that then [itex](\frac{a+b}{2})^{2}\geq ab[/itex] that is:
[itex]\frac{a+b}{2}\geq \sqrt{ab}[/itex]

You can't do this: the inequality signs face different ways.

If ##a \geq b## and ##c \geq d##, then for positive a,b,c and d, you CAN assert that ##ac \geq bd##. If that's a ##\leq## sign, then the opposite applies (just switch all the signs). However, if the signs are different you cannot conclude anything from multiplying the two inequalities.

The simplest way to approach this is to start by observing that ##(\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b})^2 \geq 0## for all ##a,b \in \mathbb{R^+}## (positive real a and b).

On a side note if problem says prove something for all positive intigers a,b and c.
That means that a>0 , b>0, c>0 but can i take from that, [itex]a\geq b\geq c > 0[/itex]?

No you cannot infer that. You can only say that a, b and c are all greater than 0, but you cannot conclude anything about how they're ordered with respect to one another.

However, if a, b and c are *arbitrary* positive integers, and the property you're required to prove is essentially symmetric in a, b, and c (i.e. switching the symbols around doesn't matter), then you can start by arguing "without loss of generality, let ##a \geq b \geq c > 0##" if it helps your proof. This is a common technique.

Last edited:

Related to Proving \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b

1. What is the significance of proving \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b?

The inequality \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b is known as the AM-GM inequality and is a fundamental result in mathematics. It has many applications in various fields such as statistics, optimization, and physics. Proving this inequality helps to establish a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their relationships.

2. How can we prove \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b?

One common method for proving this inequality is using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. This involves manipulating the terms and applying the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to arrive at the desired result. Other methods include using induction or the rearrangement inequality.

3. What are the implications of \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} for 0 < a \leq b in real-world scenarios?

The AM-GM inequality has many real-world applications, particularly in optimization problems. For example, it can be used to find the maximum possible area of a rectangle with a fixed perimeter, or the minimum possible surface area of a cylinder with a fixed volume. It also has applications in statistics, such as in the proof of the arithmetic mean-geometric mean-harmonic mean inequality.

4. Can the inequality \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab} be extended to more than two variables?

Yes, the AM-GM inequality can be extended to any number of variables. The generalized form states that for any positive real numbers a1, a2, ..., an, we have \frac{a1+a2+...+an}{n}\geq\sqrt[n]{a1a2...an}. This result is also known as the Power Mean inequality.

5. Are there any other similar inequalities related to \frac{a+b}{2}\geq\sqrt{ab}?

Yes, there are several other inequalities that are related to the AM-GM inequality. These include the quadratic mean inequality, harmonic mean inequality, and weighted AM-GM inequality. These inequalities have similar conditions and can be derived from the AM-GM inequality using different methods.

Back