Proving fundamental set of solutions DE

In summary, if y1 and y2 are solutions of y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y = 0 on an open interval I on which p,q are continuous and y1 and y2 have a common point of inflection at t0 in I, then y1 and y2 cannot be a fundamental set of solutions unless p(t0) = q(t0) = 0. This can be proven by considering the properties of the Wronskian and its derivative. This statement holds true regardless of the zeroes of p and q.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Assume that y1 and y2 are solutions of y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y = 0 on an open interval I on which p,q are continuous. Assume also that y1 and y2 have a common point of inflection t0 in I. Prove that y1,y2 cannot be a fundamental set of solutions unless p(t0) = q(t0) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that if p(t0) is not 0 or q(t0) is not 0 then its not a fundamental set of solutions. So I have to show for the three cases
i) p(t0) =/= 0 q(t0) = 0
ii) p(t0) = 0 q(t0) =/= 0
ii) p(t0) =/= 0 q(t0) =/= 0
That the Wronskian is 0, but I don't know what to do to relate p to q in the wronskian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

Assume that y1 and y2 are solutions of y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y = 0 on an open interval I on which p,q are continuous. Assume also that y1 and y2 have a common point of inflection t0 in I. Prove that y1,y2 cannot be a fundamental set of solutions unless p(t0) = q(t0) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that if p(t0) is not 0 or q(t0) is not 0 then its not a fundamental set of solutions.

How did you "figure" that? The equation ##y''- y=0## has fundamental solution pair ##\{e^x,e^{-x}\}## and ##q(x)=-1##.

So I have to show for the three cases
i) p(t0) =/= 0 q(t0) = 0
ii) p(t0) = 0 q(t0) =/= 0
ii) p(t0) =/= 0 q(t0) =/= 0
That the Wronskian is 0, but I don't know what to do to relate p to q in the wronskian.

That is nonsense. ##p## and ##q## are coefficients, not a solution pair and they have nothing directly to do with the Wronskian. And your argument doesn't even try to use the fact that your solutions have a common inflection point.

Hint: Think about the properties of the Wronskian and its derivative.

Those are the hints that my professor gave to me, so that is how I figured that. Why is it significant that y1 and y2 have an inflection point at t0? That just means the second derivative is 0. It is asking me to prove that if is is not the case that p(t0) = q(t0) = 0 then they are NOT a funcdamental set of solutions, and there are three ways that p(t0), q(t0) cannot be zero.

I think you have misquoted or misunderstood the statement of the problem. What is true about your equation is that as long as ##p(x)## is not identically zero, then if two solutions have a common inflection point at ##t_0##, they cannot be a fundamental set, period. It doesn't matter about the zeroes of ##p## and ##q##. What I have just stated can be proved using my previous hint.

Related to Proving fundamental set of solutions DE

What is a fundamental set of solutions for a differential equation?

A fundamental set of solutions for a differential equation is a set of linearly independent solutions that can be combined to form any other solution to the equation. In other words, it is a set of solutions that can be used to create a general solution to the differential equation.

Why is it important to prove the existence of a fundamental set of solutions?

Proving the existence of a fundamental set of solutions is important because it guarantees that a general solution to the differential equation can be found. It also allows for the determination of the form of the general solution, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the system described by the differential equation.

What techniques are used to prove the existence of a fundamental set of solutions?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove the existence of a fundamental set of solutions for a differential equation. Some common methods include using the Wronskian to show linear independence, using the method of undetermined coefficients, and using variation of parameters.

Can a differential equation have more than one fundamental set of solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a differential equation to have more than one fundamental set of solutions. This can occur when the equation has multiple solutions that are linearly independent, meaning that they cannot be written as a linear combination of each other.

How is a fundamental set of solutions used to solve a differential equation?

A fundamental set of solutions is used to construct a general solution to a differential equation. By combining the solutions in the set using appropriate coefficients, a general solution can be found that satisfies the initial conditions of the equation. This general solution can then be used to solve for specific solutions to the equation given specific initial conditions.