Proving $(G,*)$ is a Group: Hints and Tips for a Simple Group Theory Problem

In summary, we are given a set $G$ and a binary operation $*$ on $G$ that satisfies the properties of associativity, the existence of an identity element $e$, and the existence of an inverse element for every element in $G$. We are tasked with proving that $(G, *)$ is a group. To do so, we must show that $a*e=a$ for all $a\in G$ and $a*b=e$ for all $a\in G$. Using the given properties, we can show that $a*e=a$ and $a*b=e$ with the help of a chosen element $c\in G$.
alexmahone
Let $G$ be a set and $*$ a binary operation on $G$ that satisfies the following properties:

(a) $*$ is associative,

(b) There is an element $e\in G$ such that $e*a=a$ for all $a\in G$,

(c) For every $a\in G$, there is some $b\in G$ such that $b*a=e$.

Prove that $(G, *)$ is a group.

My attempt: I know we're supposed to show that $a*e=a$ for (b) and that $a*b=e$ for (c). But I can't figure out how.

Any suggestions? Hints only as this is an assignment problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Let $G$ be a set and $*$ a binary operation on $G$ that satisfies the following properties:

(a) $*$ is associative,

(b) There is an element $e\in G$ such that $e*a=a$ for all $a\in G$,

(c) For every $a\in G$, there is some $b\in G$ such that $b*a=e$.

Prove that $(G, *)$ is a group.

My attempt: I know we're supposed to show that $a*e=a$ for (b) and that $a*b=e$ for (c). But I can't figure out how.

Any suggestions? Hints only as this is an assignment problem.
Hint for part (a). Pick $a\in G$ and let $a*e=b$. We want to show that $b=a$.

We know that there is a $c\in G$ such that $c*a=e$. Thus $c*a*e=c*b$, which gives $e=c*b$. We also have $e=c*a$. Now can you see what to do?

Try part (b) with this approach.

Got it, thanks!

Related to Proving $(G,*)$ is a Group: Hints and Tips for a Simple Group Theory Problem

What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups. A group is a set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

What is a simple group?

A simple group is a group that has no proper nontrivial normal subgroups. In other words, a simple group cannot be broken down into smaller groups. Simple groups play an important role in group theory and have connections to many other areas of mathematics.

How do I solve a simple group theory problem?

To solve a simple group theory problem, you need to understand the basic concepts and properties of groups, such as the order of a group, cyclic groups, and subgroup. You also need to know the definitions and characteristics of simple groups and how to apply them to the given problem.

What are some real-world applications of group theory?

Group theory has many applications in areas such as physics, chemistry, computer science, cryptography, and music theory. For example, group theory is used to describe the symmetries of molecules in chemistry and the structure of crystals in solid-state physics. In computer science, group theory is used in error-correcting codes and cryptography protocols.

Are there any open questions or challenges in group theory?

Yes, there are still many open questions and challenges in group theory, such as the classification of all finite simple groups, the existence of simple groups with certain properties, and the generalization of group theory to infinite groups. These questions and challenges continue to drive research in the field of group theory.