Proving Group Homomorphism: P(G1) is a Subgroup of G2 | Permutation Group Help

In summary, the conversation discusses group homomorphisms, image of a group homomorphism, and the permutation group of a group. The first part involves showing that the image of a group homomorphism is a subgroup of the target group. The second part requires proving that the map from a group to its permutation group is well-defined, one-to-one, and a group homomorphism. Finally, the third part involves finding explicit permutations for the elements of a specific group. The subgroup test can be used to show that the image of a group homomorphism forms a subgroup, and the definition of a homomorphism can be applied to show that the map is well-defined. The remaining parts require a solid understanding of group theory.
millwallcrazy
i'm having trouble to show that if P: G1 --> G2 is a group homomorphism, then the image, P(G1) = {g belongs to G2 , s.t. there exists h belonging G1 , P(h) = g}, is a subgroup of G2

Also:

Let G be a group, and Perm(G) be the permutation group of G. Show that the
map Q : G --> Perm(G) g --> Qg (g is a subscript of Q) such that Qg(h) = gh (g is a subscript of Q) is well-defined, 1-1 and a group homomorphism, where g, h belong to G.

Suppose that G = Z3 = {e, a, a^2}, a^3 = e. Labelling the points of Z3 as {1, 2, 3},
with e = 1, a = 2 and a^2 = 3, give the permutations Qa and Qa^2 , explicitly. (a and a^2 are subscripts of Q)For the first part: Do i have to show the closure, identity, inverse and associativity

For the 2nd part: How do i show that the map is well defined?

For the third part: I'm not sure where to start?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the definition of a homomorphism itself, then the elements on the image should form a group(which is a subgroup of G2)
Try applying the subgroup test to P(G1), whichever one you've learned.

My group theory is kinda rusty, so I'll leave the rest to others.

Related to Proving Group Homomorphism: P(G1) is a Subgroup of G2 | Permutation Group Help

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a group. In other words, it maps elements in one group to elements in another group while maintaining the group operation.

2. How is a group homomorphism proven?

A group homomorphism can be proven by showing that the function preserves the group operation. This means that for any two elements a and b in the first group, their corresponding images under the homomorphism should have the same group operation as the original elements.

3. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies the three axioms of a group: closure, associativity, and identity. This means that the elements in the subgroup form a smaller group within the larger group.

4. How is it proven that P(G1) is a subgroup of G2?

This can be proven by showing that the subset P(G1) satisfies the three axioms of a group. Additionally, it must also be shown that P(G1) is closed under the group operation of G2.

5. How does permutation group help in proving group homomorphism?

Permutation group helps in proving group homomorphism by providing a way to map elements in one group to elements in another group. This is useful because it allows us to compare the group operation of the two groups and show that it is preserved by the homomorphism.