Proving H is Complete & a Hilbert Space: Analysis of $\|.\|_H$

In summary: Oh, dear. I've used that letter already. Let me switch to $z$ instead. So, similarly, $z$ for $(z_n)_n$ ...]
Impo
Hi,

Let [tex] H = \{(x_n)_n \subseteq \mathbb{R} | \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n < \infty \}[/tex] and for $(x_n)_n \in H$ define
$$\|(x_n)_n\|_H = \sup_{n} \left|\sum_{k=0}^{n} x_k \right|$$

Prove that $H$ is complete. Is $H$ a Hilbert space?

What is the best way to prove $H$ is complete?
To prove it's a Hilbert space, is it enough to prove that $\|.\|_H$ satisfies the parallellogram law?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have moved this topic from the Calculus sub-forum to our Analysis sub-forum as I feel you are more likely to get help here.

Impo said:
Let [tex] H = \{(x_n)_n \subseteq \mathbb{R} | \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n < \infty \}[/tex] and for $(x_n)_n \in H$ define
$$\|(x_n)_n\|_H = \sup_{n} \left|\sum_{k=0}^{n} x_k \right|$$

Prove that $H$ is complete. Is $H$ a Hilbert space?

What is the best way to prove $H$ is complete?
I suppose you should start by checking that $\|\,.\,\|_H$ is indeed a norm. Assuming that has been done, notice next that if $\|(x_n)\|_H < \varepsilon$ then (for each $n$) \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=0}^{n} x_k \biggr| < \varepsilon\) and also \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} x_k \biggr| < \varepsilon\). Take the difference and use the triangle inequality to see that $|x_n|<2\varepsilon.$

It follows that if $\{(x^{(m)}_n)\, \mid\, (m=1,2,\ldots\}$ is a Cauchy sequence for the $\|\,.\,\|_H$-norm, then for each fixed $n$ the sequence $(x^{(m)}_n)$ is Cauchy in $\mathbb{R}$ and hence converges to a limit $y_n$ say. In other words, $(x^{(m)}_n)$ converges coordinatewise to a sequence $(y_n).$ That gives you a candidate for the limit of the sequence. You then have to prove (i) that $(y_n)\in H$, and (ii) that $\|(x^{(m)}_n)-(y_n)\|_H \to0.$ (In other words, $(x^{(m)}_n) \to (y_n)$ in the $\|\,.\,\|_H$-norm and not just coordinatewise.)

You should probably model your proof on similar arguments that you may have seen for showing that spaces like $\ell^1(\mathbb{R})$ are complete.

Impo said:
To prove it's a Hilbert space, is it enough to prove that $\|.\|_H$ satisfies the parallellogram law?
To see whether or not $H$ satisfies the parallelogram law, try it out on some simple sequences, for example $(x_n) = (1,0,0,0,\ldots)$ and $(y_n) = (0,1,0,0,\ldots)$.

Thanks for the help Opalg!1. Let's check [tex](y_n)_n \in H[/tex], that is [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} y_n < \infty[/tex]. We have [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} y_n = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lim_{m \to \infty} x_n^{(m)} = \lim_{m \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n^{(m)} < \infty[/tex]. The last inequality follows from the fact that [tex]x_n^{(m)} \in H[/tex] ($\forall m$)

2. I'm not quite sure how I can work this out ...

It is indeed sufficient to show that $\left\|\cdot\right\|_H$ satisfies the parallelogram law since we've already shown H to be a Banach (i.e. normed vector-) space. From there, we use the polarization identity to say that
$$\langle x, \ y \rangle = \frac{1}{4} \left(\|x + y \|^2 - \|x-y\|^2 \right)\ \forall \ x,y \in H$$
Gives us a valid inner product.

Try to approach this by extending the finite case. In other words, how would this work for the $\left\|\cdot\right\|_1$ norm over $\mathbb{R}^n$?

Impo said:
1. Let's check [tex](y_n)_n \in H[/tex], that is [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} y_n < \infty[/tex]. We have [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} y_n = \color{red}{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lim_{m \to \infty}} x_n^{(m)} = \color{red}{\lim_{m \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}} x_n^{(m)} < \infty[/tex]. The last inequality follows from the fact that [tex]x_n^{(m)} \in H[/tex] ($\forall m$)
You're playing with fire when you interchange limits like that! In general it is not legitimate to do so. What you need to do here is to replace the infinite sum by a finite sum so as avoid the interchange of limits. You are given a $\|\,.\,\|_H$-Cauchy sequence $(x^{(m)})$ in $H$, and a Cauchy sequence is necessarily bounded. Therefore there exists $K>0$ such that $\|x^{(m)}\|_H \leqslant K$ for all $m$, which means that \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=1}^nx^{(m)}_k\biggr|\leqslant K\) for all $m$ and all $n$. Now let $m\to\infty$ in that inequality to see that \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=1}^ny_k\biggr|\leqslant K\) (for all $n$). Hence $y\in H$, with $\|y\|_H\leqslant K$.

Impo said:
2. I'm not quite sure how I can work this out ...
Since the sequence $(x^{(m)})$ is Cauchy, given $\varepsilon>0$ there exists $M$ such that $\|x^{(m)} - x^{(r)}\|_H < \varepsilon$ whenever $m,r>M$. Thus \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=1}^nx^{(m)}_k - x^{(r)}_k\biggr| < \varepsilon\) for all $n$. This is a finite sum, so we can safely let $r\to\infty$ to see that \(\displaystyle \biggl|\sum_{k=1}^nx^{(m)}_k - y_k\biggr| \leqslant \varepsilon\) for all $n$ (whenever $m>M$). Thus $\|x^{(m)} - y\|_H \leqslant \varepsilon$ for all $m>M$. That's enough to show that $x^{(m)}\to y$.

[In case it's not obvious, I have been using the abbreviation $x^{(m)}$ to denote the sequence $(x^{(m)}_n)_n$, and similarly $y$ for $(y_n)_n$.]

Last edited:

Related to Proving H is Complete & a Hilbert Space: Analysis of $\|.\|_H$

What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that describes a complete vector space equipped with an inner product. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is widely used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

What does it mean for a Hilbert space to be complete?

A Hilbert space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a limit that is also in the space. In simpler terms, this means that there are no "missing" points in the space and it is able to capture all possible elements in the sequence.

How do you prove that a Hilbert space is complete?

To prove that a Hilbert space is complete, you need to show that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a limit that is also in the space. This can be done by using the Cauchy convergence criterion or the completeness axiom of a Hilbert space.

What is the significance of proving a Hilbert space is complete?

Proving that a Hilbert space is complete is important because it ensures that the space is a well-defined mathematical entity. It also allows for the use of various mathematical tools and techniques, such as the Gram-Schmidt process and the Riesz representation theorem, which are crucial for solving problems in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

How is the norm of a Hilbert space used in proving completeness?

The norm of a Hilbert space, denoted as ||.||_H, is a mathematical tool used to measure the size of a vector in the space. In proving completeness, the norm is used to show that the distance between elements in a Cauchy sequence approaches zero, which is a key requirement for proving convergence.