Proving if a subset is a subspace

• Thread starter nayfie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the homework statement is that the following subset of the real space is a subspace: W={(x, y, z) \in R^{3} | 2x - y = 3z + x = 0}
nayfie

Homework Statement

Is the following a subspace of [itex]R^{n}[/itex] for some n?

[itex]W = {(x, y, z) \in R^{3} | 2x - y = 3z + x = 0}[/itex]

Homework Equations

A subspace of [itex]R^{n}[/itex] is a subset [itex]W[/itex] of [itex]R^{n}[/itex] such that;

1. [itex]0 \in W[/itex]
2. [itex]\forall u, v \in W; u + v \in W[/itex]
3. [itex]\forall c \in R[/itex] and [itex]u \in W[/itex]; [itex]cu \in W[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have checked that the zero vector is contained in the subset, by first letting x = 0.

2x - y = 0, therefore if x = 0, y is also equal to 0.

3z + x = 0, so if x = 0, z is also equal to 0.

The problem here is that now I have no idea how to prove that W is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that definitions in mathematics are "working definitions". That is, you use the precise words of definitions in proofs. Use the definitions of "addition", "scalar product", and "closed under addition and scalar product".

The scalar product of (x, y, z) with scalar k is (kx, ky, kz). Use the fact that 2x- y= 0 and 3z+ x= 0 to show that the same is true of (kx, ky, kz). For example, 2(kx)- ky= k(2x- y)= k(0)= 0. You do the other one.

Let (x, y, z) and (a, b, c) be elements of this space.
Then we know that 2x- y= 0, 3z+ x= 0, 2a- b= 0, and 3c- a= 0.
The sum of two such elements would be (x+a, y+ b, c+ z). Show that this triple satifies the same equations. 2(x+ a)- (y+ b)= (2x- y)+ (2a- b)=

In future problems, you may be asked to do more than just show a subset is a subspace.

Note that from 2x- y= 0 we get y= 2x and from 3z+ x= 0, we get x= -3z so that y= 3x= 2(-3z)= -6z. That is, we can write any member of this subset as (x, y, z)= (-3z, -6z, z)= z(-3, -6, 1) showing that it is, in fact, a one-dimensional subspace of this three-dimensional space and that {(-3, -6, 1)} is a basis for that subspace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi nayfie, long time no see! :smile:

I've got 2 approaches for you: one geometrical and one algebraical.

Do you know what W looks like?
That is, can you deduce its shape in terms of planes and lines and such?
(You could even draw it! :wink:)

If you pick a specific element of W, say one with x=a, can you say what y and z will be?

And say you pick another one, say with x=b.
Now add them. Does the result satisfy the equations of W?

I have followed both of your replies and have proven that W is indeed a subspace (as it satisfies the conditions). I find it easier to understand what's going on if I have a geometric interpretation.

Thank you both very much for the replies, you've ended a lot of frustration :)

Good to know! :smile:

FAQ: Proving if a subset is a subspace

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How do you prove if a subset is a subspace?

To prove if a subset is a subspace, you need to show that it satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by using mathematical proofs and equations.

3. Why is it important to prove if a subset is a subspace?

Proving if a subset is a subspace is important because it helps to ensure that the subset follows the fundamental properties of a vector space. This is crucial in many areas of science, especially in fields such as physics and engineering where vector spaces are used extensively.

4. Can a subset be a subspace of more than one vector space?

Yes, a subset can be a subspace of more than one vector space if it satisfies the three properties of a subspace for each vector space. However, the vector space must have the same operations of addition and scalar multiplication for the subset to be a subspace of both.

5. What are some common mistakes when proving if a subset is a subspace?

Some common mistakes when proving if a subset is a subspace include assuming that the subset automatically satisfies the three properties of a subspace without proper proof, not using the correct operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and not showing that the subset contains the zero vector.