Proving Infinite Primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 Form Using Euclid's Method

In summary: , so you are saying that if p is any prime other than 1 or 3, then there are an infinite number of primes in either 6m+1 or 6m+3.
cragar

Homework Statement

Except 2 and 3 , prove that their an infinite amount of primes
of the form 6m+1 and 6m+5 for some integer m
It says to use Euclid's method but replace the +1 with a -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I just multiply some of these forms together and subtract 1
[itex] (6m+1)...(6n+1)-1=x [/itex]
If I divide my new number x by (6m+1) it won't divide it evenly.
this doesn't seems like it proves it, am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't think so. You would only be able to show that x is not divisible by primes of the form 6m+1. You won't be able to show it is not divisible by other primes.

If you multiply k primes of the form (6m+1) and l primes of the form (6m+5), you get a product of the form (6m+1) for even l and (6m+5) for odd l. This allows to find new primes, assuming a finite number of primes of those types. I am not sure how to get an infinite number of (6m+1)-primes, but it is certainly possible for (6m+5)-primes.

ok thanks for the replies Ill work on it.

Suppose p to be the largest prime of a given one of those two types, and construct the product of all primes (except a certain few) up to p.

So I make a product of all primes of the form 6m+1 and then add one
to it. I am still not really sure exactly what you guys are telling me, Ill keep thinking about it.
another thing i noticed is that all of the odd numbers greater than 5 are of the form
6m+1 or 6m+3 or 6m+5, but we know that 6m+3=3(2m+1) so it never produces primes.
so we know because their are an infinite amount of odd primes that
either or both 6m+1 or 6m+3 contain an infinite amount of primes.

Last edited:
cragar said:
So I make a product of all primes of the form 6m+1 and then add one
That's not what I wrote: "the product of all primes (except a certain few) up to p."

1 is a bad thing to add, as the result will be divisible by 2.
so we know because their are an infinite amount of odd primes that
either or both 6m+1 or 6m+3 contain an infinite amount of primes.
Right

FAQ: Proving Infinite Primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 Form Using Euclid's Method

What is Euclid's method for proving infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form?

Euclid's method is a mathematical proof that states that there are an infinite number of prime numbers of the form 6m+1 and 6m+5, where m is any positive integer. This method involves assuming a finite number of primes of this form, and then using the concept of a "least common multiple" to prove that there must be at least one more prime of this form.

How does Euclid's method work?

Euclid's method starts by assuming that there are only finitely many prime numbers of the form 6m+1 and 6m+5. Then, using the concept of a "least common multiple," it is shown that there must be at least one more prime of this form. This process can be repeated infinitely, proving that there are an infinite number of primes of this form.

Why is it important to prove the infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form?

Proving the infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form is important because it helps to advance our understanding of prime numbers and their patterns. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and number theory.

What are the potential objections to Euclid's method for proving infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form?

One potential objection to Euclid's method is that it assumes that there are only finitely many primes of the form 6m+1 and 6m+5, which has not been proven. Another objection is that it relies on the concept of a "least common multiple," which some may argue is not a rigorous enough proof technique.

Are there any variations of Euclid's method for proving infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form?

Yes, there are variations of Euclid's method that have been proposed and used to prove the infinite primes of 6m+1 and 6m+5 form. These variations may use different mathematical concepts or techniques, but they ultimately aim to show that there are an infinite number of primes of this form.

Back