Proving Lagrange Theorem for Finite Group G

In summary, the Lagrange Theorem states that for any finite group G, the order of any subgroup H must divide the order of G. It is used in group theory to prove other important theorems and identify the structure of a group and its subgroups. The proof involves dividing the elements of G into disjoint subsets. However, the theorem does not apply to infinite groups and has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.
onie mti
given that G is a finite group.

1) if H is a subgroup of G then |H| divides |G|
2) if a in G the ord(a)/|G|

i could prove no 2 using no 1 where i said ord(a)=|<a>| and <a> is a subgroub of G so by 1
ord(a)/|G|how cAN I prove 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: langrange theorem

onie mti said:
given that G is a finite group.

1) if H is a subgroup of G then |H| divides |G|
2) if a in G the ord(a)/|G|

i could prove no 2 using no 1 where i said ord(a)=|<a>| and <a> is a subgroub of G so by 1
ord(a)/|G|how cAN I prove 1
Very briefly, the (left) cosets of H partition G into a number of sets all having the same size as H. So the order of G is the order of H times the number of cosets.

This is what you need to do to prove (1).

Step one:

Show that the map $f:H \to Ha$ for any $a \in G$, given by $f(h) = ha$ is bijective.

Step two:

Conclude that $|H| = |Ha|$ for all $a \in G$.

Step three:

Show that if $x \in Ha \cap Hb$, then $Ha = Hb$.

Step four:

Conclude that the distinct cosets of $H$ form a partition of $G$.

Step five:

Conclude that $G = H \cup Ha_1 \cup \cdots \cup Ha_{k-1}$ for $k$ distinct cosets of $H$ in $G$

(note that this uses the fact that $|G|$ is FINITE).

Step six:

Use steps four and five to conclude that:

$|G| = k\ast|H|$.

Related to Proving Lagrange Theorem for Finite Group G

1. What is the Lagrange Theorem for a finite group G?

The Lagrange Theorem states that for any finite group G, the order of any subgroup H must divide the order of G. In other words, if G has a total of n elements and H is a subgroup of G, then the order of H must be a divisor of n.

2. How is the Lagrange Theorem used in group theory?

The Lagrange Theorem is a fundamental concept in group theory and is used to prove other important theorems, such as the Cauchy and Sylow theorems. It also helps in identifying the structure of a group and its subgroups.

3. What is the proof for Lagrange Theorem for a finite group G?

The proof for the Lagrange Theorem involves showing that every element of G belongs to exactly one distinct left coset of H, where H is a subgroup of G. This can be done by dividing the elements of G into disjoint subsets, each containing elements that are related by left multiplication by an element of H.

4. Can the Lagrange Theorem be extended to infinite groups?

No, the Lagrange Theorem only applies to finite groups. In fact, there are infinite groups that do not have any subgroups at all, making the theorem irrelevant in those cases.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Lagrange Theorem?

While the Lagrange Theorem has numerous applications in abstract algebra and group theory, it also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. It helps in understanding the structure and properties of codes and ciphers, making them more secure and efficient.