Proving: lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]

• Thread starter cwatki14
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the equality lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]. The proof involves using the definition of gcd and lcm, and being careful with the details such as signs and the base set (naturals or integers). The person is also taking an introductory number theory course and finding writing proofs challenging.
cwatki14
I am aiming to prove that:
lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]
I am not really sure where to start. So I simply want to prove that a divides lcm(ab,ad)? Or that if a divides b and a divides d then it will divide the lcm of (ad,ad)? Nonetheless, I am still not sure as to where to start? Any tips?- Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cwatki14 said:
I am aiming to prove that:
lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]
I am not really sure where to start.

Hey there! Are you taking introductory number theory?
If you are, the proof goes like this:

lcm(ab,ad)gcd(ab,ad)=[tex]a^{2}bd[/tex]
We know that gcd(ab,ad)=a gcd(b,d)
[tex]\frac{lcm(ab,ad)}{a}=\frac{bd}{gcd(b,d)}[/tex]
Now focus on the right hand side , what can you tell?

Yes, I am taking elementary number theory? So far I am really enjoying it, but I have never taken a math course like this. This is my first course that require writing proofs, so it's been a bit of a challenge.

Isn't the RHS simply the definition of lcm(b,d)? So does that just imply that a can be factored out of lcm(ab,ad) and when is divided by a cancels?

Be careful with the details; if you want to prove that for the integers then your equality is false: it should be lcm(ab,ac) = |a|lcm(b,c). Be careful with the signs.

JSuarez said:
Be careful with the details; if you want to prove that for the integers then your equality is false: it should be lcm(ab,ac) = |a|lcm(b,c). Be careful with the signs.
The problem in the text states that equality... so I guess I should just assume that it means for positive integers only?

Your text should also state which base set it is considering: the naturals or the integers. Without the modulus, that equality is valid only for the naturals.

Related to Proving: lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]

1. What is the meaning of "Proving: lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]"?

The equation "Proving: lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" is a mathematical statement that is used to prove the relationship between the least common multiple (LCM) of two products and the product of their LCMs. It is commonly used in number theory and algebra.

2. How is the equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" proven?

The equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" can be proven using various methods, such as using the distributive property, prime factorization, or the definition of LCM. These methods involve breaking down the numbers into their prime factors and rearranging them to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

3. What is the significance of the equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]"?

The equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" is significant because it helps in simplifying and solving problems involving LCM. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the LCM of two products and the product of their LCMs.

4. Can the equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" be applied to all numbers?

Yes, the equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" can be applied to all numbers as long as they are positive integers. This equation is a fundamental property of LCM and applies to all numbers regardless of their size or value.

5. How is the equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" used in real-life situations?

The equation "lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]" is used in various real-life situations, such as scheduling events, finding the lowest common denominator in fractions, and calculating the least amount of material needed for construction. It is also used in computer science and engineering to optimize processes and algorithms.