Proving $\lg^2 n=o(2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}})$ and $2^{2^{n+1}}=\omega(2^{2^n})$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: Wasntme)The word "therefore" is an implication in the wrong direction.It would be more appropriate to use "Hence" or "Thus" instead.
I like Serena said:
Suppose you check the condition for this to be true.
Is it (always) satisfied with what you have? (Wondering)

Is it not always satisfied? (Thinking)

Technology news on Phys.org
Could you give me a hint what might be wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is it not always satisfied? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you give me a hint what might be wrong? (Thinking)

I have lost track of what was going on in this thread.
Can you restate what you're trying to proof and what you have found? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I have lost track of what was going on in this thread.
Can you restate what you're trying to proof and what you have found? (Wondering)

We want to prove that $\lg^2 n=o(2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}})$, so we want to prove that: $\forall c>0, \exists n_0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0: \lg^2 n< c \cdot 2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}}$

$\lg^2 n< c \cdot 2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}} \Rightarrow \lg{ \lg^2 n}<\lg{(c \cdot 2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}})}=\lg c+\lg{2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}}}=\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n} \\ \Rightarrow \lg {\lg^2 n}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}$

We set $y=\lg n$.

$$\lg{ \lg^2 n}<\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n} \Rightarrow \lg{ y^2}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y} \Rightarrow 2 \lg y< \lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}$$

$$\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg{ y}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}=\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{\frac{2}{y}}{ \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}}=\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}{y}=lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{y}}=0$$

What can I say about the limit, now that we have $y$ and not $n$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We set $y=\lg n$.

$$\lg{ \lg^2 n}<\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n} \Rightarrow \lg{ y^2}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y} \Rightarrow 2 \lg y< \lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}$$

$$\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg{ y}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}=\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{\frac{2}{y}}{ \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}}=\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}{y}=lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{y}}=0$$

What can I say about the limit, now that we have $y$ and not $n$ ? (Thinking)

We can back substitute $y=\lg n$ to find:
$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg( \lg n)}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}=0$$

Next is writing out what this means in terms of $\epsilon$ and $n_0$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
We can back substitute $y=\lg n$ to find:
$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg( \lg n)}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}=0$$

Next is writing out what this means in terms of $\epsilon$ and $n_0$. (Wasntme)

So, could we say it like that? (Thinking)

$$\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg y}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}=0 \Rightarrow \lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg {\lg n}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}=0$$

That means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$$2 \lg {(\lg n)}< \epsilon (\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}) \Rightarrow \lg{\lg^2 n}< \epsilon(\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n})$$

evinda said:
So, could we say it like that? (Thinking)

$$\lim_{y \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg y}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{y}}=0 \Rightarrow \lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{2 \lg {\lg n}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}=0$$

That means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$$2 \lg {(\lg n)}< \epsilon (\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}) \Rightarrow \lg{\lg^2 n}< \epsilon(\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n})$$

Yes, but with a slight correction. (Wait)

It means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:
$$\left|\frac{2 \lg {(\lg n)}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}\right|< \epsilon
\Rightarrow 2 \lg {(\lg n)}< \epsilon |\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}|
\Rightarrow \lg{\lg^2 n}< \epsilon|\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}|$$

The distinction with absolute sign is necessary because $\lg c$ can be negative.

I like Serena said:
Yes, but with a slight correction. (Wait)

It means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:
$$\left|\frac{2 \lg {(\lg n)}}{\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}}\right|< \epsilon
\Rightarrow 2 \lg {(\lg n)}< \epsilon |\lg c+ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{\lg n}|
\Rightarrow \lg{\lg^2 n}< \epsilon|\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}|$$

The distinction with absolute sign is necessary because $\lg c$ can be negative.

A ok! (Nod) But, could we continue now? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok! (Nod) But, could we continue now? (Thinking)

Didn't we already do that? :confused:
What do you think comes next? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Didn't we already do that? :confused:
What do you think comes next? (Wondering)

We set $\epsilon=1$ and then we have that $\exists n_0 \geq 0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$: $\lg{ \lg^2 n}< |\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}|$.

Do we have to continue like that?

$\lg{ \lg^2 n}< |\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}| \Rightarrow \lg c+\sqrt{2 \lg n}> \lg {\lg^2 n} \text{ or } \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}< - \lg{ \lg^2 n} $

And can we conclude from that, that $\exists n_0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:
$$\lg{ \lg^2 n }< \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}$$

?
(Thinking)

evinda said:
We set $\epsilon=1$ and then we have that $\exists n_0 \geq 0$, such that $\forall n \geq n_0$: $\lg{ \lg^2 n}< |\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}|$.

If we pick $n_0$ large enough (we can introduce $n_1$ if you want), then $\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n} >0$.
It follows that then:
$$\lg{ \lg^2 n}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}$$
(Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
If we pick $n_0$ large enough (we can introduce $n_1$ if you want), then $\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n} >0$.
It follows that then:
$$\lg{ \lg^2 n}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}$$
(Wasntme)

So, can we say it like that? (Thinking)

We pick a large enough $n_1$, such that $\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}>0, \forall n \geq n_1$.

Now, we pick $n_2=\max \{ n_1, n_0 \}$ and we have that:

$\forall n \geq n_2: \lg{ \lg^2 n}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}$.

evinda said:
So, can we say it like that? (Thinking)

We pick a large enough $n_1$, such that $\lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}>0, \forall n \geq n_1$.

Now, we pick $n_2=\max \{ n_1, n_0 \}$ and we have that:

$\forall n \geq n_2: \lg{ \lg^2 n}< \lg c+ \sqrt{2 \lg n}$.

Yes we can! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yes we can! (Nod)

So, we have shown now that $\lg^2 n=o(2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}})$, right? (Smile)

evinda said:
So, we have shown now that $\lg^2 n=o(2^{\sqrt{2 \lg n}})$, right? (Smile)

Yep! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Nod)

According to the definition, it is $f(n)=o(g(n))$, if $\forall c>0, \exists n_0 \geq 0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:
$$0 \leq f(n)<c g(n)$$

So, do I have to say also at the beginning, that $\lg^2 n \geq 0, \forall n \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
According to the definition, it is $f(n)=o(g(n))$, if $\forall c>0, \exists n_0 \geq 0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:
$$0 \leq f(n)<c g(n)$$

So, do I have to say also at the beginning, that $\lg^2 n \geq 0, \forall n \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

Well... that's not true is it? (Wondering)
You'll need a larger lower bound.

I like Serena said:
Well... that's not true is it? (Wondering)
You'll need a larger lower bound.

Is it $\lg^2 n \geq 0, \forall n \geq 1$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is it $\lg^2 n \geq 0, \forall n \geq 1$ ? (Thinking)

That's better. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
That's better. (Mmm)

So, at the end of the exercise, can we take $n_2=\max \{ n_0,n_1,1\}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, at the end of the exercise, can we take $n_2=\max \{ n_0,n_1,1\}$ ? (Thinking)

I guess so yes. (Smile)

When we have the definition:

Let $f,g$ asymptotically positive functions. We say that $f=\omega(g)$ if $\forall c>0 \exists n_0=n_0(c) \in \mathbb{N}: \forall n \geq n_0$:

$$0 \leq c g(n)< f(n)$$

do we include $0$ at the values that $n_0$ can take or not? (Thinking)

evinda said:
When we have the definition:

Let $f,g$ asymptotically positive functions. We say that $f=\omega(g)$ if $\forall c>0 \exists n_0=n_0(c) \in \mathbb{N}: \forall n \geq n_0$:

$$0 \leq c g(n)< f(n)$$

do we include $0$ at the values that $n_0$ can take or not? (Thinking)

We "pick" $n_0$ ourselves, so we are free to include 0 or not.
Generally, we pick $n_0$ a big as we need to, and there is little point in considering to make it 0. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
We "pick" $n_0$ ourselves, so we are free to include 0 or not.
Generally, we pick $n_0$ a big as we need to, and there is little point in considering to make it 0. (Mmm)

A ok! (Nod) In order that $2^{2^{n+1}}=\omega(2^{2^n})$, it should be:
$$2^{2^{n+1}}> c \cdot 2^{2^n} \geq 0$$

Do I have to say at the beginning that $c \cdot 2^{2^n} \geq 0, \forall n \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok! (Nod) In order that $2^{2^{n+1}}=\omega(2^{2^n})$, it should be:
$$2^{2^{n+1}}> c \cdot 2^{2^n} \geq 0$$

Do I have to say at the beginning that $c \cdot 2^{2^n} \geq 0, \forall n \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

In your definition you have the condition that "f,g asymptotically are positive functions".
That makes what you're suggesting to say sort of redundant.
Although you may indeed want to indicate that you can apply your definition of the $\omega$ symbol. (Nerd)Actually, the definition as wikipedia gives it, is more general since the functions do not have to be positive.
Instead it is required that $c |g(n)| \le |f(n)|$. (Wasntme)