Proving Lie Group \rho Preserves Inner Product/Cross Product

In summary, the conversation is discussing the preservation of inner product and cross product on the subspace of purely imaginary quaternions by a continuous automorphism \rho. One method to show this is by demonstrating the rotation of this subspace by \rho, which preserves angles and orientation. Another suggested method is to directly apply the inner product and cross product to u^{-1}qu. However, this involves a lengthy calculation of 48 terms, and it is asked if there is a more direct approach.
jdstokes
Let [itex]\rho : \mathbb{H} \to \mathbb{H}; q \mapsto u^{-1}q u[/itex]
where u is any unit quaternion. Then [itex]\rho[/itex] is a continuous automorphism of H.

I'm asked to show that [itex]\rho[/itex] preserves the inner product and cross product on the subspace [itex]\mathbf{i}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{j}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{k}\mathbb{R}[/itex] consisting of purely imaginary quaternions.

The only thing I can think of is that [itex]\rho[/itex] acts on [itex]\mathbf{i}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{j}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{k}\mathbb{R}[/itex] by rotating that subspace (for which I know a proof), and rotations preserve angles and orientation.

Is there a more direct method which avoids using the fact that [itex]\rho[/itex] rotates [itex]\mathbf{i}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{j}\mathbb{R} + \mathbf{k}\mathbb{R}[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious method would be to apply the inner product and cross product to [itex]u^{-1}qu[/itex] and show that you get the same thing.

Hi HallsofIvy,

I tried that but there are 4 x 3 x 4 =48 terms when we come to calculate e.g.

[itex]u^{-1}q u = \bar{u} q u = (u_0 - u_1i-u_2j-u_2k)(p_1 i + p_2j+p_3k)(u_0 + u_1i+u_2j+u_2k)[/itex]. Is it really necessary to expand this whole thing out and then take the dot product with another one?

Related to Proving Lie Group \rho Preserves Inner Product/Cross Product

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical concept that represents a group of transformations that can be continuously varied. It combines the concepts of a group, which is a set of elements that can be combined using a binary operation, and a manifold, which is a geometric space that locally resembles Euclidean space. Lie groups have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What does it mean to prove that a Lie group preserves inner product/cross product?

To prove that a Lie group preserves inner product or cross product means to show that the group's transformations do not alter the inner product or cross product of vectors in the space. In other words, the transformations do not change the magnitude or angle between two vectors, preserving the geometric properties of the space.

3. What is the significance of proving that a Lie group preserves inner product/cross product?

Proving that a Lie group preserves inner product/cross product is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the group's structure and its relationship to the underlying space. It also allows for the application of the group's transformations in various fields, such as physics and engineering, with confidence that the geometric properties of the space will be preserved.

4. How is the proof of preserving inner product/cross product carried out?

The proof of preserving inner product/cross product involves using mathematical techniques, such as differential calculus and matrix algebra, to show that the group's transformations do not alter the inner product or cross product of vectors in the space. This is typically done by manipulating the equations that define the Lie group and its transformations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of preserving inner product/cross product in Lie groups?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of preserving inner product/cross product in Lie groups. For example, in physics, the concept of preserving symmetries in a space is essential for understanding the laws of nature. In engineering, preserving geometric properties is crucial for ensuring the correct functioning of systems and structures. Lie groups are also used in computer graphics and computer vision for preserving the properties of objects in 3D space.