Proving log(n)^3 = O(n^(1/3)) using Big O notation

• Thread starter hosman
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking to prove that log(n)^3 is little o of n^(1/3). The attempted solution involves using the derivative of the third root of both functions to show that n^(1/9) will eventually become greater than log(n), proving that log(n)^3 is o(n^(1/3)). However, upon finding out that the actual problem is asking for little o instead of big O, the solution may not be entirely correct.
hosman
is log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))??

Homework Statement

So the problem has to do with big o notation, I came up with a solution but I think even in this summed up solution I give I am making too much assumptions or that it is just plainly wrong, if it is please let me know.

Homework Equations

So the original question is stated as follows:

Q:Show that [tex]\log{n}^{3}=O(n^{1/3})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My basic idea was to use the derivative of the third root of both functions and prove that [tex]n^{1/9}[/tex] will have the greater one of the two and thus at some point the two functions will be equal and then [tex]n^{1/9}[/tex] will become greater allowing [tex]\log{n}[/tex] to have a order complexity of [tex]n^{1/9}[/tex],
which implies [tex]\log{n}^{3}=O(n^{1/3})[/tex]

so here it is:
if [tex]n^{1/3}[/tex] has [tex]O(n^{1/3})[/tex] the so should...
[tex]\sqrt[3]{n^{1/3}}[/tex] have [tex]O\left(\sqrt[3]{n^{1/3}}\right)[/tex]
and so I take the derivative of the third root (to simplify problem) of these functions and get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dn}\left(\log{n}\right)=\frac{1}{n\ln{10}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dn}\left(n^{1/9}\right)=\frac{1}{9n^{8/9}}[/tex]

clearly [tex]\frac{1}{n}<\frac{1}{n^{8/9}}[/tex] for big values of n.

thus the derivative of [tex]n^{1/9}[/tex] will eventually become greater than [tex]\log{n}}[/tex] and this means (leaving out the actual calculation of following constants):

[tex]\exists N,c\in\Re[/tex] such that [tex]\forall n \geq N[/tex]

[tex]\log{n} \leq c\left(n^{1/9}\right)[/tex] so that (skipping some more steps..)

[tex]\log{n}^{3}=O(n^{1/3})[/tex]

for the sake of brevity I am leaving out steps but I think that the solution still makes sense?

Physics news on Phys.org

I just found out that the actual problem is litte o not big O so its
Q: proof (logn)^3 is o(n^(1/3))

hmmmmm...

Your solution is mostly correct, but there are a few things to clarify. First, in order to prove that log(n)^3 = O(n^(1/3)), we need to show that there exists a constant c such that for all n greater than some value N, log(n)^3 is less than or equal to c*n^(1/3). You have correctly shown that the derivative of n^(1/9) eventually becomes greater than the derivative of log(n), but this does not directly prove that log(n)^3 is O(n^(1/3)).

To prove it, we can use the fact that the derivative of n^(1/9) is always positive, while the derivative of log(n) is only positive for n greater than 1. Therefore, we can choose a value for N such that for all n greater than N, the derivative of n^(1/9) is greater than the derivative of log(n). This means that for all n greater than N, n^(1/9) will eventually become greater than log(n), and thus log(n)^3 will also eventually become less than or equal to n^(1/3).

So, by choosing a constant c that is greater than the value of n^(1/9) at N (since n^(1/9) is positive), we can show that log(n)^3 is indeed O(n^(1/3)).

In summary, your solution is on the right track, but it is important to clarify the steps and assumptions in order to fully prove the statement using Big O notation.

Related to Proving log(n)^3 = O(n^(1/3)) using Big O notation

1. What does the notation "O" mean in the expression "log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))"?

The notation "O" in this expression represents the order of growth or the asymptotic behavior of a function. More specifically, it is used to describe the upper bound of a function's growth rate.

2. How do you read the expression "log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))"?

The expression can be read as "the cube of the logarithm of n is of the order of n to the power of one-third."

3. What does it mean to say that "log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))" is true?

This means that the growth rate of log(n)^3 is not greater than the growth rate of n^(1/3). In other words, the logarithmic function is asymptotically smaller than the power function.

4. Is "log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))" always true?

No, it is not always true. The statement depends on the specific values of n and the constants involved. It is an asymptotic relationship, so it describes the behavior of the functions as n approaches infinity.

5. How can we prove that "log(n)^3 O(n^(1/3))" is true?

To prove this statement, we can use the formal definition of big O notation. We need to show that there exists a constant c and a value of n, such that for all values of n greater than or equal to that value, log(n)^3 is always less than or equal to c times n^(1/3). This can be done through mathematical manipulation and analysis of the functions involved.