Proving $m+n=xy$ Using Positive Real Numbers

In summary, Albert proves that $m+n=xy$ by first assuming the equation holds and then using the equation to prove there exist both the equations (1) and (2) as stated by the original question.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $x,\,y,\,m,\,n$ be positive real numbers such that $m^2-m+1=x^2$, $n^2+n+1=y^2$ and $(2m-1)(2n+1)=2xy+3$.

Prove that $m+n=xy$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $x,\,y,\,m,\,n$ be positive real numbers such that $m^2-m+1=x^2---(1)$, $n^2+n+1=y^2---(2)$

and $(2m-1)(2n+1)=2xy+3---(3)$.

Prove that $m+n=xy---(4)$.
let :$p=2m-1,q=2n+1$
if(4) is true then :
$pq-3=2xy=p+q=2(m+n)$
or $\Leftrightarrow (p-1)(q-1)=4=4n(m-1)$
or :$\Leftrightarrow n(m-1)=1---(5)$
put (5) to (1) and (2) we get :
$x^2=m^2-m+1$
$y^2=\dfrac {m^2-m+1}{(m-1)^2}$
$\therefore xy=\dfrac {m^2-m+1}{m-1}=m+\dfrac {1}{m-1}=m+n$
and the proof is done

Albert said:
if(4) is true then :
$pq-3=2xy=p+q=2(m+n)$
$x^2=m^2-m+1$
and the proof is done

we are finding (5) from (4) and then we are proving (4). So solution seems to be incorrect. Or am I missing something.

if(4) is true then :
$pq-3=2xy---(3)$
$x^2=m^2-m+1$
and the proof is done
let :$p=2m-1,q=2n+1, and \,\, n=\dfrac {1}{m-1}---(5) , (why?)$
put (5) to (3) we get :
$pq-3=2xy=2(m+n)=p+q$
$\therefore xy=m+n$
explanation of why :
only for $pq-3=p+q $ then $xy=m+n$ will satisfy
we get :$(p-1)(q-1)=4$ then $xy=m+n$
or $n(m-1)=1$ then $xy=m+n$

Hi Albert,

I'm unfamiliar with this type of backward proof, Albert...I don't know what to say as I don't find your proof convincing, sorry...:( but if I really have to prove it that way, perhaps I would first assume the equation (4) holds and then use the equation (3) to prove there exist both the equations (1) and (2) as stated by the original question to complete my proof...(all the numbering of the equations are based on your post #2)

This is an Olympiad math problem though...

Hint:
Find $(m+n)^2$ and $(xy)^2$ separately and then make appropriate comparison.

anemone said:
Hi Albert,

I'm unfamiliar with this type of backward proof, Albert...I don't know what to say as I don't find your proof convincing, sorry...:( but if I really have to prove it that way, perhaps I would first assume the equation (4) holds and then use the equation (3) to prove there exist both the equations (1) and (2) as stated by the original question to complete my proof...(all the numbering of the equations are based on your post #2)

This is an Olympiad math problem though...

Hint:
Find $(m+n)^2$ and $(xy)^2$ separately and then make appropriate comparison.

I do not find the proof of Albert to be convincing and it is definitely with flaw

to prove A you assume B such that A true. He has taken a suitable value of n assuming the final result and based on that proved the final result. thus the final result is always true.

anemone said:
Let $x,\,y,\,m,\,n$ be positive real numbers such that $m^2-m+1=x^2$, $n^2+n+1=y^2$ and $(2m-1)(2n+1)=2xy+3$.

Prove that $m+n=xy$.
[sp]Given $m^2-m+1=x^2$, $n^2+n+1=y^2$ and $(2m-1)(2n+1)=2xy+3$, it follows that $$2x^2 = 2m^2-2m+2,$$ $$2y^2 = 2n^2+2n+2,$$ $$2xy = 4mn + 2m - 2n - 4.$$ Add those three equations to get $2(x^2 + y^2 + xy) = 2m^2 + 4mn + 2n^2 = 2(m+n)^2$, so that $$ x^2 + y^2 + xy = (m+n)^2. \qquad(1)$$
From the given equation $m^2-m+1=x^2$, it follows that $4x^2 - 3 = 4m^2-4m+1 = (2m-1)^2$. Similarly, from $n^2+n+1=y^2$ it follows that $4y^2-3 = (2n+1)^2$. Multiply those equations together and use the given equation $(2m-1)(2n+1)=2xy+3$ to deduce that $$(4x^2-3)(4y^2-3) = (2xy+3)^2,$$ $$16x^2y^2 - 12x^2 - 12y^2 + 9 = 4x^2y^2 + 12xy + 9,$$ $$12 x^2y^2 - 12x^2 - 12y^2 = 12xy$$ and therefore $$x^2y^2 = x^2 + y^2 + xy.\qquad (2)$$
Now combine $(1)$ and $(2)$ to get $(m+n)^2 = x^2y^2$. Finally, we are told that all the numbers are positive, so we can take the positive square root of both sides to get $m+n=xy.$[/sp]

Last edited:
Thanks, Opalg, for participating!(Smile)

FAQ: Proving $m+n=xy$ Using Positive Real Numbers

1. What is the premise of proving $m+n=xy$ using positive real numbers?

The premise is to show that there exists a pair of positive real numbers, m and n, whose sum is equal to their product.

2. How can we prove $m+n=xy$ using positive real numbers?

We can prove this by using the fundamental property of positive real numbers, which states that the product of two positive numbers is always greater than or equal to their sum.

3. Can we use any real numbers to prove $m+n=xy$?

No, we specifically need to use positive real numbers. This is because the statement $m+n=xy$ is only true for positive numbers, not negative or zero.

4. Why is it important to use positive real numbers in this proof?

Using positive real numbers ensures that the statement $m+n=xy$ is true for all possible values of m and n. If we were to use negative or zero numbers, the statement may not hold true.

5. Is there a specific method or approach to proving $m+n=xy$ using positive real numbers?

Yes, one common approach is to assume that m and n are positive real numbers and then use algebraic manipulation to show that their product is equal to their sum. Another approach is to use a proof by contradiction, assuming that the statement is false and then showing that it leads to a contradiction.