Proving Magnitude of Centre of Mass Vector Equation

In summary, the magnitude of R of the position vector for the centre of mass from an arbitrary origin is given by the equation: M^2R^2 = M\sum m_ir_i^2 - {1\over 2}\sum m_i m_j r_{ij}^2.
Reshma
Prove that the magnitude of R of the position vector for the centre of mass from an arbitrary origin is given by the equation:
[tex]M^2R^2 = M\sum m_ir_i^2 - {1\over 2}\sum m_i m_j r_{ij}^2[/tex]

Well the centre of mass is given by:
[tex]\vec R = \frac{\sum m_i r_i}{M}[/tex]

But squaring this doesn't seem to produce the result I require. I need more help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure about this but I think it should work if you start working backwards - from the defintion of rij2, then multiply by -0.5mimj and then sum over the indices. My summation rules are a bit rusty. :redface:

Last edited:
Work backwards? I will try that. My summation concepts are pretty outdated too. Got to relocate my high school number theory text.

This is quite straightforward. Let's start with:

[itex] M\vec{R} = \sum_i m_i \vec{r}_i [/itex]

Square it:

[itex] M^2 R^2 = \sum_{i,j} m_i m_j \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_j \qquad (1) [/itex]

Then consider [itex] \vec{r}_{i j} \equiv \vec{r}_i - \vec{r}_j \Longleftrightarrow r^2_{ij} = (\vec{r}_i - \vec{r}_j)^2 = r^2_i - 2 \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_j + r^2_j \Longleftrightarrow \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_j = \frac{1}{2}(r^2_i+r^2_j-r^2_{ij}) [/itex]

Insert the last relationship in (1) and you'll obtain:

[itex] M^2 R^2 = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} m_i m_j (r^2_i+r^2_j-r^2_{ij}) = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} m_i m_j (r^2_i+r^2_j) - \frac{1}{2} \sum_i m_i m_j r^2_{ij} \qquad (2) [/itex]

Now, consider the first term of (2)'s rhs:

[itex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} m_i m_j (r^2_i+r^2_j) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_i m_i \left[\sum_j m_j (r^2_i + r^2_j) \right] = \frac{1}{2} \sum_i m_i \left[\sum_j m_j r^2_i + \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] \qquad (3) [/itex]

But [itex] \sum_j m_j r^2_i = M r^2_i [/itex] so:

[itex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_i m_i \left[\sum_j m_j r^2_i + \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] = \frac{1}{2} \sum_i m_i \left[ M r^2_i + \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] = \frac{1}{2} \left[ M \sum_i m_i r^2_i + \sum_i m_i \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] = \frac{1}{2} \left[ M \sum_i m_i r^2_i + M \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] = [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1}{2} M \left[ \sum_i m_i r^2_i + \sum_j m_j r^2_j \right] [/itex]

Because "j" is a summed index, you can call it "i" so (3) becomes:

[itex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} m_i m_j (r^2_i+r^2_j) = \frac{1}{2} M \left[ \sum_i m_i r^2_i + \sum_i m_i r^2_i \right] = M \sum_i m_i r^2_i \qquad (3) [/itex]

Finally, just insert rhs of (3) in (2) and that's it :smile:

Last edited:
Very nicely done, Emanuel. :approve:

Bravo, Emanuel! :smile:

Related to Proving Magnitude of Centre of Mass Vector Equation

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of the center of mass vector?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of the center of mass vector is |CM| = √(xCM² + yCM² + zCM²), where xCM, yCM, and zCM are the components of the center of mass vector.

2. How is the center of mass vector related to the center of mass?

The center of mass vector is a mathematical representation of the location of the center of mass. It is a vector that points from the reference point to the center of mass, and its magnitude represents the distance between the two points.

3. What is the significance of proving the magnitude of the center of mass vector?

Proving the magnitude of the center of mass vector is important because it allows us to accurately determine the location of the center of mass in a system. This information can be used in various calculations, such as determining the stability of an object or predicting its motion.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the center of mass vector?

The magnitude of the center of mass vector is affected by the mass and distribution of mass in a system. The farther the center of mass is from the reference point and the greater the mass, the larger the magnitude of the vector will be.

5. Can the magnitude of the center of mass vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of the center of mass vector is always a positive value. This is because it represents a distance between two points and distance cannot be negative. However, the center of mass vector itself can have a negative direction, indicating that it points in the opposite direction of the reference point.

Back