Proving Math Induction for S1-S3: 1+3+5+...+(2n-1)=n^2

In summary: No, the statement does NOT say 1+ 3= 2(3)- 1, it says 1+ 3= 1+ (2(2)-1)= 2^2. It is the last integer that is "2n- 1", not the sum.
Blank101
Prove that S1, S2, S3 are true statements
1+3+5+...+(2n-1)=n^2

S1=1= (2(1)-1) = 1^2 True
S2=1+3 = (2(3)-1) = 5 which cannot= to the sum of our first 2 integers, which will make it false!
S3=1+3+5 = (2(5)-1) = 3^2 True

The problem is with S2 the book gave me an answer of 4=4 which is 2^2!
It also shows a different formula (n-1) = n^2

In my understanding of The mathematical induction a formula is usually given to prove an x number of integers, all those integers being proven true does not mean will be the same to all integers from the sequence. Thats when K+1 substitution comes in.

Can someone help me i know is a simple mistake but i can't just see why s2 is coming that way!

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
1+3+5+...+(2n-1)=n^2

the (2n-1) gives the nth term.
So the second term is 2(2)-1=3 (as seen in the series)

and so S2=1+3=4 (LHS)
and S2=2^2 (RHS)

LHS=RHS so it's true

That's an odd "proof" of induction. You've verified it for S1, S2, S3, but these are just particular instances of the problem you're purportedly trying to prove by induction, not the general "k+1" case.

Defennder said:
That's an odd "proof" of induction. You've verified it for S1, S2, S3, but these are just particular instances of the problem you're purportedly trying to prove by induction, not the general "k+1" case.

I don't believe he is claiming that as a "proof". He was asserting that the statement was not true. It is true, of course, he simply did not understand what the formula said:

S1=1= (2(1)-1) = 1^2 True
S2=1+3 = (2(3)-1) = 5 which cannot= to the sum of our first 2 integers, which will make it false!
S3=1+3+5 = (2(5)-1) = 3^2 True
No, the statement does NOT say 1+ 3= 2(3)- 1, it says 1+ 3= 1+ (2(2)-1)= 2^2. It is the last integer that is "2n- 1", not the sum.

In fact, your statement about S3 is incorrect: 1+ 3+ 5= 1+ [2(2)- 1]+ [2(3)-1]= 3^2 is what it says.

Related to Proving Math Induction for S1-S3: 1+3+5+...+(2n-1)=n^2

1. What is the purpose of proving math induction for the series 1+3+5+...+(2n-1)=n^2?

The purpose of proving math induction for this series is to show that the given formula holds true for all positive integer values of n. This proof is important in establishing the validity of the formula and in providing a method for solving similar series and equations.

2. What does the series 1+3+5+...+(2n-1) represent?

This series represents the sum of odd numbers from 1 to (2n-1). For example, when n=3, the series becomes 1+3+5=9, which is the sum of the first three odd numbers.

3. How is math induction used to prove this series?

Math induction is used to prove this series by first showing that the formula holds true for the base case of n=1. Then, it is assumed that the formula holds true for some arbitrary value of n, and the proof is carried out to show that it also holds true for n+1. This establishes the validity of the formula for all positive integer values of n.

4. What are the steps involved in proving math induction for this series?

The steps involved in proving math induction for this series are:

1. Show that the formula holds true for the base case of n=1.
  2. Assume that the formula holds true for some arbitrary value of n.
  3. Prove that the formula also holds true for n+1.
  4. Conclude that the formula holds true for all positive integer values of n.

5. Why is proving math induction for this series important?

Proving math induction for this series is important because it establishes the validity of the formula and provides a method for solving similar series and equations. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for any scientific discipline.