Proving MVT: Continuity and Differentiability of f and g on [0,1] and (0,1)

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mvt
In summary, it is being proved that if f and g are continuous on [0,1] and differentiable on (0,1), and f'(x)g(x) is not equal to f(x)g'(x) for every x in (0,1), then there must be a point c in [0,1] where g(c) is equal to 0. This is shown through a proof by contradiction, where the assumption that g(c) is not equal to 0 for all c in [0,1] leads to the contradiction that g(c) must equal 0 for some c in [0,1]. This is a contradiction because it goes against the initial assumption.
transgalactic
suppose f and g are continues on [0,1]
and differentiable on (0,1)
and f'(x)g(x) differs f(x)g'(x)
for every x existing in (0,1)
prove that there is a point c in [0,1] so g(c)=0

??

for what purpose do i need to know that
"f and g are continues on [0,1]
??"

g(c)=0 is the use of MVT

i don't know how to merge the peaces
??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem as presented doesn't make any sense to me, since it gives information about the derivative of (fg)(x), but then doesn't ask you to do anything with that information.

As written, it's not possible to prove what you're asked to prove. Here's a counterexample.
Let f(x) = x + 1, and g(x) = x^2 + 1
Both functions are continuous for all reals, so a fortiori they are continuous on [0, 1].
Both functions are differentiable everywhere, which certainly implies they are differentiable on (0, 1).

(fg)'(x) = d/dx[x^3 + x^2 + x + 1] = 3x^2 + 2x + 1 is positive for all reals.

g(x) >= 1 for all reals, which implies there does not exist a number c in [0, 1] so that g(c) = 0.

??"

transgalactic said:
??"
I have no idea.

Also, one regular on this forum noticed that my counterexample doesn't work. I took the condition that f'(x)g(x) not equal to f(x)g'(x) to mean that (fg)'(x) was not zero. I'll have to think about this problem some more.

This condition does mean that the numerator in the result from the quotient rule is not zero, but how that figures into the problem I haven't the faintest idea.

Transgalactic, are you sure that what you posted is the same as what's in your book or that your were given?

this is the question:

suppose f and g are continues on [0,1]
and [tex]f'(x)g(x)\neq f(x)g'(x)[/tex]for every x existing in (0,1)
prove that there is a point c in [0,1] so g(c)=0

??

the solution starts with
"suppose there is no point c on [0,1]then we define a new function
[tex]T(x)=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] ..."

why are they defining a new function how is that linked with not having a point??

Last edited:
Now it starts to make sense. The conclusion of the statement you're trying to prove is "for some number c in [0, 1], g(c) = 0.

The proof you are looking at, or the suggestion for a start is a proof by contradiction, for which the hypothesis part of your statement is assumed to be true, but the conclusion is assumed to be false. In other words, the conclusion is now "for every number c in [0, 1], g(c) is not 0."

The function T is a quotient, and to find T'(x), you need the quotient rule. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this problem seemed to have something to do with the quotient rule, but I didn't at the time know what it was, since you hadn't presented this new information.

There are certain conditions that have to be met before you can use the quotient rule. If you don't know what they are, look at how the quotient rule is defined.

here is the full prove :
suppose there is no point c on [0,1] so g(c)=0 then we define a new function
[tex]T(x)=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
so because its an elementary function so its differentiable on [0,1] interval.
and because we assumed that g(x) differs zero on [0,1]
[tex]
T'(x)=\frac{f'(x)g(x)-f(x)g'(x)}{g^2(x)}
[/tex]

and because we are given
[tex]
f'g(x)\neq f(x)g'(x)
[/tex]
from that equation we can get
[tex]
f'g(x)-f(x)g'(x)\neq0
[/tex]
now because we are given that [tex]g(x)\neq0[/tex]
then for all [0,1] interval [tex]T'(x)\neq0[/tex]

now we look at the ends of the interval
x=0
[tex]T(0)=\frac{f(0)}{g(0)}=0[/tex] its true because we assume that [tex]g(x)\neq0[/tex]
and f(0)=0 are given
the same thing for T(1)=0
so there is a point "c" on T for which T'(c)=0
and that contradicts our assumption that [tex]g(x)\neq0[/tex]
i can't see how it contradicts
in the end we talk about T(x) not g(x)

how its a contradiction??

i see that we proved that on one hand we can't have extreme point on T(x)
but on the other hand we have to because of rolls theorem

but its a contradiction about T(x) not g(x)

??

Last edited:
Go back and look at your first post. What are you (or they) trying to prove in that post?

we need to prove that there is a point in g(x) for which g(c)=0

thats what i told before

i can't see how its a contradiction

So they assumed that for all numbers c in [0, 1] g(c) != 0, then then set up the function T(x) = f(x)/g(x). The work you showed shows that with the original hypotheses, it must be that g(c) = 0. That's the contradiction.

Related to Proving MVT: Continuity and Differentiability of f and g on [0,1] and (0,1)

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem (MVT) is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

2. Why is it important to prove the continuity and differentiability of f and g on [0,1] and (0,1) for the MVT?

In order for the MVT to be applicable, the function must satisfy certain conditions, including continuity and differentiability. This ensures that the function is well-behaved and has a well-defined slope at every point within the interval, which is necessary for the theorem to hold.

3. How do you prove the continuity of a function on an interval?

To prove continuity, one must show that the limit of the function as it approaches a point on the interval exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done through various methods, such as the epsilon-delta definition of continuity or using continuity theorems.

4. What is the process for proving differentiability of a function on an interval?

To prove differentiability, one must show that the limit of the difference quotient as it approaches a point on the interval exists and is equal to the derivative of the function at that point. This can be done through various methods, such as the definition of the derivative or using the differentiability theorems.

5. Are there any other conditions that must be met for the MVT to hold?

Yes, in addition to continuity and differentiability, the function must also be defined on a closed interval, have a finite rate of change, and have a slope that is not equal to zero at every point within the interval. These conditions ensure that the function does not have any "breaks" or "sharp turns" that would invalidate the theorem.