Proving MVT: |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|

• Thread starter Mstenbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mvt Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for all real values of x and y using the Mean Value Theorem/Rolle's Theorem. The conversation explores the connection between the mean value theorem and the problem, specifically looking at the range of cos. The conversation ends with the suggestion to look up the Mean Value Theorem for further explanation.
Mstenbach

Homework Statement

Prove for all real x and y that
|sinx - siny| <= |x-y|

Homework Equations

It's a question from the Mean Value Theorem/Rolle's Theorem section.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I've tried. It looks somewhat similar to the triangle inequality (I think?), but truth be told I can't get anywhere with this.

I'd appreciate if anyone could give me a hand and point me in the proper direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what does the mean value theorem say?

jgens said:
Well, what does the mean value theorem say?

Reading the hotlink I still fail to see the connection with MVT to the problem. Could the "real values x and y" have anything to do with the (a, b) interval?

Mstenbach said:
Could the "real values x and y" have anything to do with the (a, b) interval?

Well, what do you think?

jgens said:
Well, what do you think?

Well, my guess is it does but I still fail to see any connection.

[itex]| \sin \displaystyle x- \sin \displaystyle y| = 2 \left| \cos \left( \frac{\displaystyle x+ \displaystyle y}{2} \right) \sin \left( \frac{\displaystyle x- \displaystyle y}{2} \right) \right| [/itex]

Am I getting anywhere with this?

How about you let [tex] x = b[/tex] and [tex] y = a[/tex]?

l'Hôpital said:
How about you let [tex] x = b[/tex] and [tex] y = a[/tex]?

Hmm, ok, thank you.

So I get now

|sinb - sina|
__________ <= 1
| b - a|

Which is similar to the theorem f(b)-f(a) / b-a ?

If it is, this basically says that the equation I came up with (which is the derivative) is equal to 1?

Can I work on this further by taking the derivative and getting cosb - cosa?

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit.. stubborn. This question is really confusing me.

Mstenbach said:
Hmm, ok, thank you.

So I get now

|sinb - sina|
__________ <= 1
| b - a|

Which is similar to the theorem f(b)-f(a) / b-a ?

If it is, this basically says that the equation I came up with (which is the derivative) is equal to 1?

Can I work on this further by taking the derivative and getting cosb - cosa?Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit.. stubborn. This question is really confusing me.
You're close.
It's not exactly the derivative. I mean, it is the derivative at point c between a and b.

So, we have the equation in the form of
[tex]
\frac{\sin b - \sin a}{b - a} = \cos c
[/tex]
As for your derivative idea, no. Derivative of sin a would be 0 because sin a is a constant. Instead, consider the following:
What do we know about [tex]\cos[/tex]'s range?

l'Hôpital said:
You're close.
It's not exactly the derivative. I mean, it is the derivative at point c between a and b.

So, we have the equation in the form of
[tex]
\frac{\sin b - \sin a}{b - a} = \cos c
[/tex]
As for your derivative idea, no. Derivative of sin a would be 0 because sin a is a constant. Instead, consider the following:
What do we know about [tex]\cos[/tex]'s range?

Aha! I see it now. The range of cos is between 1 and -1, so it cannot exceed 1... I think I see that now.

Just one question, how did you find "cosc"?

Thank you very much.

Mstenbach said:
Aha! I see it now. The range of cos is between 1 and -1, so it cannot exceed 1... I think I see that now.

Just one question, how did you find "cosc"?

Thank you very much.

Once more, look up "Mean Value Theorem". It's all in there.

Related to Proving MVT: |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem (MVT)?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in proving |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|?

In proving |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|, the Mean Value Theorem is used to establish the existence of a point where the derivative of the function f(x) = sinx is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [x,y]. This point can then be used to prove the inequality.

3. Why is it important to prove |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|?

Proving |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y| is important because it allows us to establish the relationship between the absolute value of the difference of two trigonometric functions and the absolute value of their argument. This relationship is useful in solving many problems in calculus and real analysis.

4. What are the key steps in proving |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y|?

The key steps in proving |sinx-siny| ≤ |x-y| are:
1. Restate the problem in terms of the Mean Value Theorem.
2. Use the Mean Value Theorem to establish the existence of a point c where f'(c) = [f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a).
3. Simplify the equation using trigonometric identities.
4. Use the properties of absolute value to eliminate any negative signs.
5. Substitute the values of a and b to obtain the final inequality.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used to prove other trigonometric inequalities?

Yes, the Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove other trigonometric inequalities. It is a powerful tool in establishing relationships between the values of trigonometric functions and their arguments. However, it is important to note that the conditions of the Mean Value Theorem must be satisfied for it to be applied in proving any inequality.