Proving One-to-One Correspondence b/w (-1, 7) and R

In summary, the function you are looking for needs to be a peeswise function and it needs to be able to map any interval to the real line.
andy.c
I need help proving this:

Find an explicit one to one correspondence between the interval (-1;7) and the real numbers R

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi andy.c! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Try an easier one …

find an explicit one to one correspondence between the interval (0;7) and the positive real numbers . :wink:

You can go about this two ways.

Geometrically try to imagine a projecting a finite length curve onto an infinite line.

Algebraically can you think of a standard invertible function with finite interval domain and all reals as its range (or vis versa)?

That about as far as i got too. I just can't think of the function.
I let f:(-1;7) --> R
f(x)= and I think it has to be a peeswise function if x is in (-1;7) and for all x not in (-1;7) but I got stuck there. :)

andy.c said:
That about as far as i got too. I just can't think of the function.
I let f:(-1;7) --> R
f(x)= and I think it has to be a peeswise function if x is in (-1;7) and for all x not in (-1;7) but I got stuck there. :)

It doesn't matter which interval the function you are looking for maps to the real line.

You can always shift and scale from one interval to another.

f: [a,b] -> [c,d]
f(x) = (d-c)/(b-a) (x-a) + c
(note I divide by the input width, multiply by the output width, subtract the start value a from x and add it to the result.)

Do you have a table of standard function, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and so on? Look for a standard function mapping any finite interval to the whole real line or vis versa.

Or from the geometric end. Can you think of any geometric way to point to infinity? Like the horizon if you're standing on a plane? Imagine a way to point uniquely to any number on the real number line as if it were there in front of you. Think about how you point. You don't have infinitely long fingers or arms so your act of pointing should be in some finite range. Is there a way to label that range with the numbers in your finite interval?

EDIT: One last point. There are a multitude of right answers... don't think about solving for "the answer" think about constructing any answer using your imagination. Remember that in that sort of problem generating wrong answers are just as helpful because where they fail shows you something important. So try, guess, explore.

Thanks a lot, that made it a lot easier.

Related to Proving One-to-One Correspondence b/w (-1, 7) and R

1. What is one-to-one correspondence?

One-to-one correspondence refers to a relationship between two sets where each element in one set corresponds to exactly one element in the other set.

2. How can one prove one-to-one correspondence?

One can prove one-to-one correspondence by demonstrating that for every element in one set, there exists exactly one corresponding element in the other set, and vice versa.

3. Why is proving one-to-one correspondence important?

Proving one-to-one correspondence is important because it allows us to show that two sets are equivalent in size and can be used interchangeably in mathematical operations.

4. What is the significance of proving one-to-one correspondence between (-1, 7) and R?

The significance of proving one-to-one correspondence between (-1, 7) and R is that it shows that the set of real numbers (R) can be represented by a finite interval, in this case, the interval between -1 and 7. This allows for easier manipulation and understanding of the real numbers.

5. How can one use one-to-one correspondence to solve mathematical problems?

One can use one-to-one correspondence to solve mathematical problems by using the correspondence to convert between different sets of numbers or to compare and manipulate the elements within a set.