Proving Perfect Number Proof: 2p-1(2p-1)

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if 2p-1 is prime, then 2p-1(2p-1) is a perfect number. The proof involves understanding why \sigma(2p-1)=2p-1 and the conversation mentions that this is already mentioned in Theorem 4 of the paper being referenced. The conversation ends with the realization that the divisors of 2^(p-1) form a geometric series and its sum is needed for the proof.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

Prove: If 2p-1 is prime, then 2p-1(2p-1) is a perfect number.

Homework Equations

I am simply having trouble understanding one part of the end of the proof, namely:

Why does [itex]\sigma[/itex](2p-1)=2p-1 ?

The proof I'm working off of (trying to understand is on page 4 of this link: http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~jvoight/notes/perfelem.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:

Homework Statement

Prove: If 2p-1 is prime, then 2p-1(2p-1) is a perfect number.

Homework Equations

I am simply having trouble understanding one part of the end of the proof, namely:

Why does [itex]\sigma[/itex](2p-1)=2p-1 ?

The proof I'm working off of (trying to understand is on page 4 of this link: http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~jvoight/notes/perfelem.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

It's pretty easy. The divisors of 2^(p-1) are 1,2,2^2,2^3,...2^(p-1). The divisors form a geometric series. What's its sum?

aha, thanks!

srfriggen said:
aha, thanks!

Yeah, and actually this is already mentioned in the paper in Theorem 4.

Dick said:
Yeah, and actually this is already mentioned in the paper in Theorem 4.

oh man I can't believe I missed that :rolleyes:

FAQ: Proving Perfect Number Proof: 2p-1(2p-1)

1. What is a perfect number?

A perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors, which are all the positive divisors of the number except for the number itself. The first few perfect numbers are 6, 28, 496, and 8128.

2. What is the formula for proving a perfect number?

The formula for proving a perfect number is 2p-1(2p-1), where p is a prime number. This formula is also known as Euclid's formula.

3. How do you prove that a number is perfect using the formula?

To prove that a number is perfect using the formula, you need to find a prime number p that satisfies the formula. Then, you need to show that the number obtained from the formula is equal to the sum of the proper divisors of the original number.

4. Are there any known perfect numbers that do not fit the formula?

No, all known perfect numbers fit the formula 2p-1(2p-1). However, it is still unknown whether there are any odd perfect numbers.

5. How many perfect numbers are currently known?

As of 2021, 51 perfect numbers have been discovered, the largest of which has over 49 million digits. It is believed that there are infinitely many perfect numbers, but this has not been proven yet.

Back