Proving pi^2 is transcendental over Q

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transcendental numbers and how to show that pi^2 is also transcendental. The participants suggest assuming that pi is transcendental and then showing that this leads to a contradiction if pi^2 is a root of a polynomial. They also discuss the meaning of a number being algebraic and how it relates to the concept of roots of polynomials. The conversation ends with a final clarification and expression of gratitude for the helpful community.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

If we know pi is transcendental over Q, how could we show pi^2 is also transcendental?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yeah, I'm a little confused. My homework is asking 'true or false' for if pi^2 is transcendental over Q, and I'm quite sure we can assume pi is transcendental. Anyone have any tips? I'm really quite lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
assume that ##\pi## is transcendental (you said you can...) and that ##\pi^2## is a root of some polynomial ##P(x)##, can you see a contradiction?

Likes PsychonautQQ
Ssnow said:
Hi,
assume that ##\pi## is transcendental (you said you can...) and that ##\pi^2## is a root of some polynomial ##P(x)##, can you see a contradiction?

Is it because polynomials have the ability to 'extract roots' in a way (I'm sorry math people, this is the clearest way I could think of expressing my thoughts!) What I mean is since 2 is algebraic, 2^1/2 is also algebraic. So for any algebraic element, all it's roots are also algebraic?

PsychonautQQ said:
Is it because polynomials have the ability to 'extract roots' in a way (I'm sorry math people, this is the clearest way I could think of expressing my thoughts!) What I mean is since 2 is algebraic, 2^1/2 is also algebraic. So for any algebraic element, all it's roots are also algebraic?
What does it mean for a number to be algebraic?

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
What does it mean for a number to be algebraic?
A number is algebraic over a field K if there is some polynomial in K[x] for which that number is a root of. So if pi^2 is a root of f(x), somehow that means that pi is a root of some polynomial with coefficients in the same field, which would be a contradiction because pi is transcendental. I don't think we could just say f(x)^1/2.

If an element is algebraic, then the degree of it's minimal polynomial will be the degree of the extension between the ground field and the field that the element is in. So if pi^2 is algebraic, say or degree n, then perhaps pi would be algebraic of degree n^1/2 which is a contradiction?

PsychonautQQ said:
Is it because polynomials have the ability to 'extract roots' in a way

this can be part of the idea, the fact is that by assumption you have ##\pi## is transcendental, you can assuming also that ##\pi^2## is a solution of certain polynomial ##P(x)## (so assuming ##\pi^2## that is algebraic in fact) and be able to arrive to a contradiction so conclude that ##\pi^2## is transcendental ...

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:
So if pi^2 is a root of f(x), somehow that means that pi is a root of some polynomial with coefficients in the same field, which would be a contradiction because pi is transcendental.
Correct. And done. Write it in formulas:

If ##\pi^2## is a root of ##f(x)##, then ##f(\pi^2)=0##.
Now let ##f(x) = a_nx^n+\dots+a_1x+a_0##. Then ##f(\pi^2) = a_n\pi^{2n}+\dots+a_1\pi^2+a_0=0##.

This is what @Ssnow has meant in post #2: Is ##f(\pi^2) = g(\pi)## for another polynomial ##g(x)##? And if so, what does this mean?

Likes Ssnow and PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
Correct. And done. Write it in formulas:

If ##\pi^2## is a root of ##f(x)##, then ##f(\pi^2)=0##.
Now let ##f(x) = a_nx^n+\dots+a_1x+a_0##. Then ##f(\pi^2) = a_n\pi^{2n}+\dots+a_1\pi^2+a_0=0##.

This is what @Ssnow has meant in post #2: Is ##f(\pi^2) = g(\pi)## for another polynomial ##g(x)##? And if so, what does this mean?
Thank you guys so much, this community is amazing.

fresh_42 said:
This is what @Ssnow has meant
yes exactly...

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Proving pi^2 is transcendental over Q

What does it mean for a number to be transcendental over Q?

A number is transcendental over Q if it is not the root of any non-zero polynomial with rational coefficients. In other words, it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

Why is proving pi^2 is transcendental over Q important?

Proving that pi^2 is transcendental over Q is important because it confirms that pi is not just an irrational number, but also a transcendental number. This has significant implications in number theory and geometry, and it solidifies the mysterious and infinite nature of pi.

What are some previous results related to proving pi^2 is transcendental over Q?

One of the most significant results related to this proof is the proof that pi itself is transcendental over Q. This was first proven by Ferdinand von Lindemann in 1882. Other related results include the proof that e and the natural logarithm of 2 are also transcendental over Q.

What methods are used to prove pi^2 is transcendental over Q?

The main method used in this proof is known as the Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem, which states that if a and b are algebraic numbers, and a is not equal to 0, then e^a is transcendental over Q. This theorem was first used by Lindemann to prove that pi is transcendental over Q, and it can also be applied to prove that pi^2 is transcendental over Q.

Are there any practical applications of proving pi^2 is transcendental over Q?

While there are no direct practical applications of this proof, it has significant implications in the field of mathematics. It helps us better understand the nature of transcendental numbers and their relationship to other types of numbers, and it also contributes to the ongoing quest for a deeper understanding of the mathematical universe.