Proving Real Numbers, Pythagorean Triples & Squares

• Thread starter JanClaesen
  • Start date
In summary: We were trying to make sense of "if a and b are rational, c must be irrational". The poster gave his own counterexample: 3² + 4² = 5², and questioned if the author meant by "rational" a rational number that is not whole? And how to prove that. Greathouse and I each gave essentially the same counter example since I based mine on his. My own feeling is that the original statement does not make sense because it is not given in the author's context. Surely, though, the poster was not looking for a response involving each of a,b and c in integer form as that was his own counterexample.
JanClaesen
Can every real number be written as a sum of 2 real squares, and if not, how to prove that?
And how to prove that not every square of a whole number can be written as a sum of two whole squares?
I also read something that doesn't seem right to me: if a and b are rational, c must be irrational (counterexample: 3² + 4² = 5²), does the author mean a rational number that is not whole? And how to prove that?

I thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
JanClaesen said:
Can every real number be written as a sum of 2 real squares, and if not, how to prove that?

i^2 = -1

JanClaesen said:
And how to prove that not every square of a whole number can be written as a sum of two whole squares?

2^2 = ...?

CRGreathouse said:
i^2 = -1
So... ?

CRGreathouse said:
2^2 = ...?
2^2 = 1^2 + 1^2... But that's not really what I meant with a proof.

JanClaesen said:
So... ?

A square of a real is always non-negative. The sum of two non-negative numbers is non-negative. Therefore, negative numbers can't be expressed as the sum of squares.

Tac-Tics said:
A square of a real is always non-negative. The sum of two non-negative numbers is non-negative. Therefore, negative numbers can't be expressed as the sum of squares.

I'm sorry, I didn't formulate my question quite well: I meant: can any (positive) real square be expressed as the sum of two squares?

JanClaesen said:
I'm sorry, I didn't formulate my question quite well: I meant: can any (positive) real square be expressed as the sum of two squares?

Yes. For any positive real x, [tex]x = y^2 + 0^2[/tex] where [tex]y = \sqrt{x}[/tex].

Tac-Tics said:
Yes. For any positive real x, [tex]x = y^2 + 0^2[/tex] where [tex]y = \sqrt{x}[/tex].

And if we exclude zero?

By the way, does anyone knows whether this is correct and how to prove it: if x and y are rational and not whole then z must be irrational.

JanClaesen said:
And if we exclude zero?

Let's say [tex]x = y^2 + z^2[/tex] where both y and z are positive. One solution is let y = z, so we have [tex]x = y^2 + y^2 = 2y^2[/tex]. Then [tex]y = z= \sqrt{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex] is a solution.

JanClaesen said:
By the way, does anyone knows whether this is correct and how to prove it: if x and y are rational and not whole then z must be irrational.

If you mean "if x and y are rational but not integers then z = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) is irrational", it is not correct. Take (x, y, z) = (3/2, 2, 5/2).

Thanks, any idea what the book was trying to tell, or what I'm trying to tell?
It was something Fermat had (really) proven (I'm not talking about his last theorem eh).

JanClaesen said:
Can every real number be written as a sum of 2 real squares
Simple. Say a is the square root of a positive number smaller than x

set [tex]b = \sqrt{x - a^2}[/tex] then [tex]a^{2}+b^{2} = x [/tex]

CRGreathouse said:
If you mean "if x and y are rational but not integers then z = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) is irrational", it is not correct. Take (x, y, z) = (3/2, 2, 5/2).
Not quite a counter-example since y is whole. Instead of dividing (3,4,5) by 2 divide (3,4,5) each by 5 or any whole number > 4.

ramsey2879 said:
Not quite a counter-example since y is whole. Instead of dividing (3,4,5) by 2 divide (3,4,5) each by 5 or any whole number > 4.

Fine. I took the statement as "when each of the numbers is an integer" and you took it as "when any of the numbers are integers". Either way examples are easy to find.

X^2+[(x^2-1)/2]^2=[(x^2+1)/2]^2.Gives integral values for all odd values of x

Dadface said:
X^2+[(x^2-1)/2]^2=[(x^2+1)/2]^2.Gives integral values for all odd values of x
We were trying to make sense of "if a and b are rational, c must be irrational". The poster gave his own counterexample: 3² + 4² = 5², and questioned if the author meant by "rational" a rational number that is not whole? And how to prove that. Greathouse and I each gave essentially the same counter example since I based mine on his. My own feeling is that the original statement does not make sense because it is not given in the author's context. Surely, though, the poster was not looking for a response involving each of a,b and c in integer form as that was his own counterexample.

Related to Proving Real Numbers, Pythagorean Triples & Squares

1. What is a real number?

A real number is a number that can be found on the number line. It includes all rational and irrational numbers.

2. How are real numbers proven?

Real numbers can be proven using the Dedekind cut method or the Cauchy sequence method, which both involve constructing a set of rational numbers that approach the desired real number.

3. What are Pythagorean triples?

Pythagorean triples are sets of three positive integers (a, b, c) that satisfy the Pythagorean theorem, a^2 + b^2 = c^2. These triples are often used in geometry and can also be extended to include negative integers.

4. How are Pythagorean triples found?

Pythagorean triples can be found using various methods, such as the Euclidean algorithm, generating functions, or the Babylonian method. These methods involve manipulating and solving equations to find the desired triple.

5. What is the significance of squares in proving real numbers and Pythagorean triples?

Squares play a crucial role in proving real numbers and Pythagorean triples because they are used in the Pythagorean theorem, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. Additionally, the concept of squares is often used in constructing proofs and finding solutions to equations involving real numbers and Pythagorean triples.