Proving Rectangles with Area/Perimeter: Square is Best

• Thread starter illjazz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the question is asking to show that of all the rectangles with a given area, the one with the smallest perimeter is a square. This can be approached by finding the smallest value of the perimeter in terms of the area using differentiation rules or by approximating the shape with regular 2-d shapes. Similarly, the question can be solved by finding the largest area that can be encompassed by a 2-d shape.
illjazz

Homework Statement

(11)
a) Show that of all the rectangles with a given area, the one with smallest perimeter is a square.
b) Show that of all the rectangles with a given perimeter, the one with greatest area is a square.

Homework Equations

- Differentiation rules
- Superhuman powers

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost on this one. I honestly don't even know where to start. Of all the rectangles with a given area? What?

So let's introduce some variables.

Say we have 3 rectangles. Their areas are a1, a2, a3. Then their perimeters are p1, p2, p3. Now if p2 > p1 <p3, i.e. p1 is the smallest of the three perimeters, then the rectangle 1, with area a1 and perimeter p1 is square. I get the question.. but I still don't have a clue about where or how to start.

Since b) is very similar, the same goes for b).

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you break the question down for yourself by using examples? You can have very skinny rectangles with lots of perimeter and little area, for example. This problem also extends to other 2-d shapes. What is the largest area that can be encompassed by a 2-d shape? How is this shape approximated in regular 2-d shapes?

illjazz said:
I'm completely lost on this one. I honestly don't even know where to start. Of all the rectangles with a given area? What?

Hi illjazz! :smile:

Let's do it step by step …

If a rectangle has sides x and y:

i] what is the area, A?

ii] what is the perimeter, P?

Now if A is given (fixed), what is the smallest value of P (in terms of x and y)? :smile:

turbo-1 said:
Can you break the question down for yourself by using examples? You can have very skinny rectangles with lots of perimeter and little area, for example. This problem also extends to other 2-d shapes. What is the largest area that can be encompassed by a 2-d shape? How is this shape approximated in regular 2-d shapes?
The largest area that can be encompassed by a 2d shape? Um.. I'd say infinity. A shape is approximated by taking a 2d object with n "sides" and then increasing the number of sides long enough to reach the desired level of precision, I guess?

tiny-tim said:

Let's do it step by step …

If a rectangle has sides x and y:

i] what is the area, A?

ii] what is the perimeter, P?

Now if A is given (fixed), what is the smallest value of P (in terms of x and y)? :smile:
Ok. So we have the sides, x and y. Then the area A is

i] A = xy

and the perimeter is

ii] P = 2x + 2y

I guess the smallest value of P then would be either 4x or 4y. Huh! This makes sense :). But I just "described" it.. I didn't make any equations :/

Last edited:

illjazz said:
Ok. So we have the sides, x and y. Then the area A is

i] A = xy

and the perimeter is

ii] P = 2x + 2y

I guess the smallest value of P then would be either 4x or 4y. Huh! This makes sense :). But I just "described" it.. I didn't make any equations :/
Well then next you should express P in terms of either x or y only, then optimise the area using calculus. Then you'll get the answer.

illjazz said:
I guess the smallest value of P then would be either 4x or 4y. Huh! This makes sense :).

erm … no, it doesn't … it doesn't tell you anything at all!

The problem is:

Given xy = A (a constant), for what value of x (in terms of A) is 2x + 2y smallest? :smile:

Yes, that is the question. Also, since you know that xy= A, y= A/x where A is some constant. That let's you replace the "y" in P= 2x+ 2y so that the perimeter, P(x), is a function of x only. Now, the crucial question: do you know how to use calculus to find where a function takes on a maximum or minimum value?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Proving Rectangles with Area/Perimeter: Square is Best

1. What is the difference between area and perimeter?

The area of a shape is the amount of space inside the shape, whereas the perimeter is the distance around the shape. In the case of a rectangle, the area is measured in square units (such as square inches or square meters), while the perimeter is measured in linear units (such as inches or meters).

2. How do you prove that a square has the largest area among all rectangles with the same perimeter?

This can be proven using the Perimeter-Area Theorem, which states that among all rectangles with the same perimeter, the one with the largest area will always be a square. This can also be visually demonstrated by dividing a rectangle with a given perimeter into smaller squares and rearranging them into a square shape, showing that the area is maximized in this configuration.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is length x width, or side x side. This is because all sides of a square are equal, so multiplying any side length by itself will give you the area.

4. Can you use the same proof for other shapes, such as triangles or circles?

No, the proof for the Perimeter-Area Theorem only applies to rectangles. Other shapes, such as triangles and circles, have their own unique formulas for finding their respective areas. Additionally, the concept of "largest area for a given perimeter" may not always apply to all shapes.

5. Is there a real-world application for this concept?

Yes, the concept of maximizing area with a given perimeter is commonly used in landscaping, gardening, and construction. It can also be applied in fields such as economics, where businesses may need to maximize profits with limited resources.

Back