Proving s is a Multiple of m in LCM Problem

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary: If your 'suppose' part is true then x can't contain any powers of p. Look, any multiple of a has to contain at LEAST as many factors of p as a. Ditto for b. Now lcm(a,b) is a multiple of both, so it has to contain at LEAST as many as each of a or b. Further it's the LEAST common multiple, so it shouldn't contain any more factors of p than it absolutely needs. Hence, how many does it contain?Since s ≥ m, the prime factorization of s may have more p's than that of m. What's the next step? Should I shrink s by dividing it by p, rec
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] An LCM Problem

Homework Statement
Let a and b be positive integers and let m = lcm(a,b). If s is a multiple of both a and b, prove that s is a multiple of m.

The attempt at a solution
I want to do this without the fact that all multiples of a and b have the form n[(ab) / gcd(a,b)]. This seems impossible. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use unique prime factorization. Why don't you want to use n[(ab) / gcd(a,b)]?

Because it's not assumed. I guess I'm stuck: to solve the problem I will either have to derive that property or the prime factorization one.

e(ho0n3 said:
Because it's not assumed. I guess I'm stuck: to solve the problem I will either have to derive that property or the prime factorization one.

So what properties of the integers DO you have that could be relevant to this? I'm guessing you at least know they are a ring. What else?

You can't assume the fundamental theorem of arithmetic...? o_O

Here's what I can use:

- Well Ordering Principle
- Division Algorithm
- GCD Is a Linear Combination
- Euclid's Lemma p | ab implies p | a or p | b
- Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

e(ho0n3 said:
Here's what I can use:

- Well Ordering Principle
- Division Algorithm
- GCD Is a Linear Combination
- Euclid's Lemma p | ab implies p | a or p | b
- Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic IS unique prime factorization. Try using it.

The prof. went over the proof in class. All one needs is the division algorithm. I had embarked along similar lines but failed to take the final step. Sigh...

Using FToA:

Since both m and s are multiples of a and b, there are integers x, x', y, y' such that m = ax = bx' and s = ay = by'. Factor x, x', y, y' into primes.

If x and y share no primes in common, they are relatively prime, which means that a = 1 since x = m/a and y = s/a. Similarly if x' and y' share no primes, then b = 1. Since m = lcm(a,b) = lcm(1,1), m = 1. s is a multiple of 1 and so s is a multiple of m.

If x and y share some primes, whose product I will denote z, then gcd(x,y) = z. Since x < y, z ≤ x. Suppose z < x. Then az < ax which is impossible because then az < ax = m = lcm(a,b). Therefore z = x, y is a multiple of x and consequently s is a multiple of m.

Is this correct?

I think you are making it too complicated. If p is a prime and the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of a is n_a, and in that of b is n_b, then the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of lcm(a,b) is max(n_a,n_b). Can you show if s is a multiple of a and b, then the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of s is >=max(n_a,n_b)?

Dick said:
If p is a prime and the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of a is n_a, and in that of b is n_b, then the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of lcm(a,b) is max(n_a,n_b).

If that is true, it's not straight-forward. Suppose [itex]n_a = \max(n_a,n_b)[/itex] and let lcm(a,b) = ax. If x contains p, then the lcm(a,b) will have a power of p greater than [itex]n_a[/itex]. How do you get around this?

Can you show if s is a multiple of a and b, then the power of p occurring in the prime factorization of s is >=max(n_a,n_b)?

I suspect this has to do with the answer to my previous question.

e(ho0n3 said:
If that is true, it's not straight-forward. Suppose [itex]n_a = \max(n_a,n_b)[/itex] and let lcm(a,b) = ax. If x contains p, then the lcm(a,b) will have a power of p greater than [itex]n_a[/itex]. How do you get around this?

I suspect this has to do with the answer to my previous question.

If your 'suppose' part is true then x can't contain any powers of p. Look, any multiple of a has to contain at LEAST as many factors of p as a. Ditto for b. Now lcm(a,b) is a multiple of both, so it has to contain at LEAST as many as each of a or b. Further it's the LEAST common multiple, so it shouldn't contain any more factors of p than it absolutely needs. Hence, how many does it contain?

I understand. Since s ≥ m, the prime factorization of s may have more p's than that of m. What's the next step? Should I shrink s by dividing it by p, recursively for every p in the prime factorizations of both a and b until the prime factorizations of s and m have the same number of p's?

Sure. Then when your are done 'shrinking' by pulling the extra prime factors out, you've shown s is a multiple of m. It's m times the extra prime factors.

I'm unconvinced. How do you know, after 'shrinking' s, that s is a multiple of m? It could be that m equals ap for some prime p and s, after shrinking, equals aq for some prime q not equal to p.

e(ho0n3 said:
I'm unconvinced. How do you know, after 'shrinking' s, that s is a multiple of m? It could be that m equals ap for some prime p and s, after shrinking, equals aq for some prime q not equal to p.

You have to do it for ALL prime factors of the lcm. Pick some example integers and convince yourself that EVERY prime factor of the lcm has an exponent of max(n_a,n_b) for that prime and any other common multiple has one or more extra prime factors, making it a multiple of the lcm.

It just dawned on me after rereading post #9: For each prime factor p of m, if the prime factorization of s contains just as many p's as the prime factorization of m, then obviously s is a multiple of m.

There are [itex]\max(n_a,n_b)[/itex] prime factors p in m for otherwise I would be able to find a smaller common multiple of a and b than m, which is not possible.

And since s is a multiple of both a and b, then the prime factorization of s contains at least the same number of p's as that of m, for each prime factor p in m.

Correct?

e(ho0n3 said:
It just dawned on me after rereading post #9: For each prime factor p of m, if the prime factorization of s contains just as many p's as the prime factorization of m, then obviously s is a multiple of m.

There are [itex]\max(n_a,n_b)[/itex] prime factors p in m for otherwise I would be able to find a smaller common multiple of a and b than m, which is not possible.

And since s is a multiple of both a and b, then the prime factorization of s contains at least the same number of p's as that of m, for each prime factor p in m.

Correct?

That sounds right.

Thank's Dick, both for your help and your patience.

Related to Proving s is a Multiple of m in LCM Problem

1. How do you prove that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem?

In order to prove that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem, you can use the definition of a multiple, which states that a number is a multiple of another if it can be divided evenly by that number. You can also use the fact that the LCM (least common multiple) is the smallest number that is a multiple of both s and m. By dividing s by m, if the remainder is 0, then s is indeed a multiple of m and therefore satisfies the LCM problem.

2. Can you use a different method to prove that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to prove that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem. Some other approaches include using prime factorization, using the Euclidean algorithm, or using the distributive property. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable depending on the specific problem at hand.

3. What is the significance of proving that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem?

Proving that s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem is significant because it helps to find the smallest common multiple between two or more numbers. This is useful in various mathematical applications, such as simplifying fractions, solving equations with multiple variables, and finding the least common denominator in fractions.

4. Is it possible for s to be a multiple of m in the LCM problem if m is not a factor of s?

No, it is not possible for s to be a multiple of m in the LCM problem if m is not a factor of s. In order for s to be a multiple of m, m must be a factor of s, meaning that it is a number that can be divided into s evenly without a remainder. If m is not a factor of s, then s cannot be a multiple of m.

5. Are there any real-life applications for proving s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for proving s is a multiple of m in the LCM problem. For example, in scheduling tasks or events, finding the LCM of the different time intervals can help determine the next time that all events will align. In engineering, finding the LCM of different measurements can help with designing and building structures that require precise measurements. In finance, finding the LCM of different interest rates can help determine the optimal time to invest or pay off a loan. These are just a few examples of how the LCM problem and proving that s is a multiple of m can be applicable in real-life situations.

Back