Proving Subspace Addition: LHS vs RHS

In summary: You have proven the first part correctly and provided a clear counterexample for the second part. Great job summarizing the conversation! In summary, we have proven that for subspaces L, M, and N of a vector space V, (L \cap M) + (L \cap N) is a subset of L \cap (M + N). However, we have also shown that there exists an example where (L \cap M) + (L \cap N) is not equal to L \cap (M + N) by considering specific subspaces L, M, and N in \mathbb{R}^2.
harvesl

Homework Statement

Let [itex]L,M,N[/itex] be subspaces of a vector space [itex]V[/itex]

Prove that

[itex](L \cap M) + (L \cap N) \subseteq L \cap (M + N)[/itex]

Give an example of subspaces [itex]L,M,N[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] where

[itex](L \cap M) + (L \cap N) \neq L \cap (M + N)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so, I can see how the LHS is a subset of the RHS I'm just having trouble showing that applying the intersection of the subspace L before adding the two subspaces M and N limits the resulting set. Also, I have shown the last part, that they're not equal, by using

L = {(-3,2),(-1,1),(-2,3)}
M = {(-1,1),(-4,3),(0,2)}
N = {(-3,2),(-2,3),(8,0)}

Which shows that they're not equal, but I don't know if this can be used because then L,M and N aren't subspaces of R2. So some guidance into what L,M and N can be used would be appreciated also.

Physics news on Phys.org
harvesl said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]L,M,N[/itex] be subspaces of a vector space [itex]V[/itex]

Prove that

Give an example of subspaces [itex]L,M,N[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] where

[itex](L \cap M) + (L \cap N) \neq L \cap (M + N)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so, I can see how the LHS is a subset of the RHS I'm just having trouble showing that applying the intersection of the subspace L before adding the two subspaces M and N limits the resulting set. Also, I have shown the last part, that they're not equal, by using

L = {(-3,2),(-1,1),(-2,3)}
M = {(-1,1),(-4,3),(0,2)}
N = {(-3,2),(-2,3),(8,0)}

Which shows that they're not equal, but I don't know if this can be used because then L,M and N aren't subspaces of R2. So some guidance into what L,M and N can be used would be appreciated also.

I'd be interesting in seeing how you proved the first part. And for the second part you are right that the sets you have shown aren't subspaces. You generally describe a subspace as an span of a set of vectors. Try that. You can pick L, M and N to all be 1-dimensional subspaces of R^2.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'd be interesting in seeing how you proved the first part. And for the second part you are right that the sets you have shown aren't subspaces. You generally describe a subspace as an span of a set of vectors. Try that. You can pick L, M and N to all be 1-dimensional subspaces of R^2.

Thanks, I've solved this now.

One good counter example is to

Let [itex]M = \left\{(x,0) | x \in \mathbb{R}\right\}[/itex]

Let [itex]N = \left\{(0,y) | y \in \mathbb{R}\right\}[/itex]

and let L be any line through the origin. Which gives you that [itex]L \cap (M + N)[/itex] is the set of all points on the line [itex]L[/itex]

However,

[itex](L \cap M) + (L \cap N) = \left\{(0,0)\right\} [/itex]

As for the proving of the subspace.

Let [itex]t \in (L \cap M) + (L \cap N)[/itex]

Then we can write

[itex]t = r + s[/itex]

Where

[itex]r \in (L \cap M)[/itex]

and

[itex]s \in (L \cap N)[/itex]

and hence

[itex]r \in L[/itex], [itex]r \in M[/itex], [itex]s \in L[/itex] and [itex]s \in N[/itex]

Since L is a subspace

[itex]r + s = t \in L[/itex]

and

[itex]r + s = t \in (M + N)[/itex]

Hence

[itex]t \in L \cap (M+N)[/itex]

and we have shown that

Well done!

FAQ: Proving Subspace Addition: LHS vs RHS

1. What is subspace addition proof?

Subspace addition proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that the vector addition of two vectors results in another vector that is also in the same subspace. It is commonly used in linear algebra and is essential for understanding vector spaces and their properties.

2. How is subspace addition proof performed?

To perform subspace addition proof, you must first define the subspace and the vectors that will be added. Then, you must show that the sum of the two vectors is also in the same subspace by demonstrating that it satisfies all the properties of a subspace, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

3. Why is subspace addition proof important?

Subspace addition proof is important because it helps us understand the properties of vector spaces and how vectors behave when added together. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used extensively in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some real-world applications of subspace addition proof?

Subspace addition proof has many real-world applications, including signal processing, image compression, and data analysis. It is also used in computer graphics, robotics, and control systems to represent and manipulate vectors in a subspace.

5. Are there any limitations to subspace addition proof?

While subspace addition proof is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to vector spaces that have a well-defined addition and scalar multiplication operations, and it cannot be used to prove theorems about vector spaces with non-standard operations. Additionally, it may not be applicable in some complex systems that do not fit the criteria for subspace addition proof.