Proving Subspace of ℝ^{n} from Linear Algebra Homogeneous System

In summary: Are you asking me or telling me? You need ##A(x+y) = 0##. Is it true? If so, what does that tell you about the solution set?
ChemistryNat

Homework Statement

SHow that the set of solutions to a homogenous system of m linear equations in n variabes is a subspace of [itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] (Show that this set satisfies the definition of a subspace)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If {V1,...Vk}=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] then every vector [itex]\vec{q}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]ℝ can be written as a linear combination of the set
c1V1+...+ckVk=[itex]\vec{q}[/itex]
This system of linear equations must have a solution for every [itex]\vec{q}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]ℝ and therefore the rank of the coefficient matrix = n
If the rank of the coefficient matrix of a system
c1V1+...+ckVk=v
is n, then the system is consistent for all V[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ
∴ {V1,...,Vk}=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex]

I thought I was on the right track, but a theorem in my textbook says
" Let [A|[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]] be a system of m linear equations in n variables. Then [A|[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]] is consistent for all [itex]\vec{b}[/itex]=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] if and only if rank(A)=m"

Does the requirement change is they are homogenous? Am I even on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChemistryNat said:

Homework Statement

SHow that the set of solutions to a homogenous system of m linear equations in n variabes is a subspace of [itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] (Show that this set satisfies the definition of a subspace)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If {V1,...Vk}=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] then every vector [itex]\vec{q}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]ℝ can be written as a linear combination of the set
c1V1+...+ckVk=[itex]\vec{q}[/itex]
This system of linear equations must have a solution for every [itex]\vec{q}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]ℝ and therefore the rank of the coefficient matrix = n
If the rank of the coefficient matrix of a system
c1V1+...+ckVk=v
is n, then the system is consistent for all V[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ
∴ {V1,...,Vk}=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex]

I thought I was on the right track, but a theorem in my textbook says
" Let [A|[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]] be a system of m linear equations in n variables. Then [A|[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]] is consistent for all [itex]\vec{b}[/itex]=[itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] if and only if rank(A)=m"

Does the requirement change is they are homogenous? Am I even on the right track?

You are on the wrong track. You need to worry about the rank of the matrix. For example, what is the dimensionality of the solutions to the following linear system?
[tex] x_1 + x_2 + x_3+ x_4 = 0\\
2x_1 + 2x_2 + 2x_3 + 2x_4 = 0
[/tex]

I think you're making this much harder than it needs to be. You don't need to know the rank of the system.

A homogeneous system can be written as follows: ##Ax = 0##, where ##A## is some matrix.

A vector ##x## is a solution to the system if and only if ##Ax = 0##. So the set of solutions is precisely the set of vectors which satisfy the equation.

What are the requirements to show that a set is a subspace?

Ray Vickson said:
You are on the wrong track. You need to worry about the rank of the matrix. For example, what is the dimensionality of the solutions to the following linear system?
[tex] x_1 + x_2 + x_3+ x_4 = 0\\
2x_1 + 2x_2 + 2x_3 + 2x_4 = 0
[/tex]

Not sure what you mean by dimentionality of the system
but the RREF form yields the system
[tex] x_1 + x_2 + x_3+ x_4 = 0
[/tex]

jbunniii said:
I think you're making this much harder than it needs to be. You don't need to know the rank of the system.

A homogeneous system can be written as follows: ##Ax = 0##, where ##A## is some matrix.

A vector ##x## is a solution to the system if and only if ##Ax = 0##. So the set of solutions is precisely the set of vectors which satisfy the equation.

What are the requirements to show that a set is a subspace?

Set is a subspace if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication (and therefore include the zero vector)

ChemistryNat said:
Not sure what you mean by dimentionality of the system
but the RREF form yields the system
[tex] x_1 + x_2 + x_3+ x_4 = 0
[/tex]

Yes, and that is my point exactly: the matrix has rank 1, so the dimensionality of the solution set is 4 - 1 = 3. This counters your statement in the OP that the rank of A is n.

However, as has already been pointed out, you don't even need to know this to do the question; you would need to know it if you were asked about the dimension of the subspace.

Last edited:
ChemistryNat said:
Set is a subspace if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication (and therefore include the zero vector)
OK, let's start with addition. If ##x## and ##y## are solutions, what can you say about ##x+y##?

jbunniii said:
OK, let's start with addition. If ##x## and ##y## are solutions, what can you say about ##x+y##?

That x+y is also a solution? It should be if it's closed under addition

ChemistryNat said:
That x+y is also a solution? It should be if it's closed under addition
Are you asking me or telling me? You need ##A(x+y) = 0##. Is it true? If so, why?

Related to Proving Subspace of ℝ^{n} from Linear Algebra Homogeneous System

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that maintains the properties of a vector space, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can I prove that a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace?

To prove that a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace, you must show that it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. What is a homogeneous system?

A homogeneous system is a system of linear equations where the constant term in each equation is equal to zero.

4. How can I use a homogeneous system to prove a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace?

You can use a homogeneous system to prove a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace by showing that the system has a unique solution, which represents the zero vector, and that the system is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

5. What is the significance of proving a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace?

Proving that a subset of ℝ^{n} is a subspace is important because it allows us to use the properties of vector spaces to analyze and solve problems related to the subset. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of the subset.