Proving Sum of Symmetric & Skew-Symmetric Matrix

In summary: TomIn summary, Tom tried to solve a problem involving a matrix using algebra but was unsuccessful. He then read a book on matrix theory and found the answer on the last page. He was not able to understand what the e did in the equation.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Prove that any square matrix can be written as the sum of a symmetric and a skew-symmetric matrix

Homework Equations

For symmetric [tex]A=A^{T}[/tex]
For scew-symmetric [tex]A=-A^{T}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin. Using algebra didn't work. Got powers and nothing cancelled.

p.s is there an inbuilt template for matrix in latex?

Thanks
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org

thomas49th said:
Not sure where to begin.
Have you tried some explicit examples?

Using algebra didn't work. Got powers and nothing cancelled.
Could you explain what you wanted to try with algebra? And demonstrate what you actually tried?

well i set up the matrix
A =
a b
c d

and
[tex]A^{T} = \frac{a c}{b d}[/tex]

and i multiplied the two together, but that doesn't get you anywhere?

I've been reading through a book, and the last question presented in that topic. I have the answer on the following page

A= 0.5(A+A^T) + 0.5(A-A^T)

but I'm not sure how they come to that answer. I mean I can see that the transforms cancel each other out, but how did they get there?

If f(x) is any function at all, then g(x)= f(x)+ f(-x) is an "even" function, because g(-x)= (-x)= f(-x)= f(-(-x))= f(x)+ f(-x)= fe(x), and h(x)= f(x)- f(-x) is an odd function, because h(-x)= f(-x)-f(-(-x))= -(f(x)- f(-x)). Adding those two functions, g(x)+ h(x)= 2f(x) so g(x)/2= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2 and h(x)/2= (f(x)-f(-x))/2 are even and odd functions that sum to f- they are the "even" and "odd" parts of f. Do you see the similarity with your problem?

How many free parameters are there in a M times M matrix? How many are there if the matrix is symmetric or antisymmetric?

thomas49th said:
I've been reading through a book, and the last question presented in that topic. I have the answer on the following page

A= 0.5(A+A^T) + 0.5(A-A^T)

but I'm not sure how they come to that answer. I mean I can see that the transforms cancel each other out, but how did they get there?
Denote B and C to represent the symmetric and skew-symmetric parts of the given matrix A: A=B+C

Taking the transpose of A, AT=BT+CT. Now using the fact that B is symmetric and C is skew-symmetric, AT=B-C. The problem here is to solve for B and C. Writing the equations for A and AT as

[tex]\aligned
B+C&=A \\
B-C&=A^T
\endaligned[/tex]

So, two linear equations in two unknowns, and a particularly easy one to solve at that.

[tex]\aligned
B&=(A+A^T)/2 \\
C&=(A-A^T)/2
\endaligned[/tex]

Ahh I think I see DH!
If we add B and C, we get A!
[tex]A^{T} = B^{T}+C^{T}[/tex]

As we have square matrices we can say [tex]B^{T} = B[/tex] and [tex]C^{T} = -C[/tex]
this means
[tex]A^{T} = B-C[/tex]
solving that with
A = B + C

gives us your bottom 2 equations (the symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices), which we add up to give a matrice.

Hallofivy, I can see what your kinda getting at!

clamtrox I don't see what you mean by parameters. A matrix holds elements, are these the parameters? Can you expand?

Thanks
Tom

Yes yes, I was just thinking about a more high-flying explanation. It obviously works like DH explained.

But yeah, a physicist looks immediately how many degrees of freedom there are. Since a M times M matrix contains M^2 independent functions (independent elements, parameters, degrees of freedom, DOF's), then one would expect that a symmetric M times M and an antisymmetric M times M matrix would have the same number of DOF's combined.

HallsofIvy said:
If f(x) is any function at all, then g(x)= f(x)+ f(-x) is an "even" function, because g(-x)= (-x)= f(-x)= f(-(-x))= f(x)+ f(-x)= fe(x), and h(x)= f(x)- f(-x) is an odd function, because h(-x)= f(-x)-f(-(-x))= -(f(x)- f(-x)). Adding those two functions, g(x)+ h(x)= 2f(x) so g(x)/2= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2 and h(x)/2= (f(x)-f(-x))/2 are even and odd functions that sum to f- they are the "even" and "odd" parts of f. Do you see the similarity with your problem?

I was just looking back over this and I was wondering if you could expand on it

I know that an even function is that which f(x) = f(-x) - like a quadratic
An odd function is f(-x) = -f(x) - like x³

When hitting this line, my brain turns to mush:
g(-x)= (-x)= f(-x)= f(-(-x))= f(x)+ f(-x)= fe(x)

so a negative value x is inputted into function g. G is defined as f(x) + f(-x). If f(x) is odd then f(x) + f(-x) = 0, but I'm not sure what
g(-x)= (-x)= f(-x)= f(-(-x))= f(x)+ f(-x)= fe(x)
is telling me. I don't even know what the e does. Can you say a function in number e.

Never really taught such maths in that kind of "comprehensive" manner. I'm a sucker for pretty pictures ;)

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

Related to Proving Sum of Symmetric & Skew-Symmetric Matrix

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements are equal to their corresponding elements reflected along the main diagonal. This means that the matrix is equal to its transpose.

2. What is a skew-symmetric matrix?

A skew-symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements are equal to the negative of their corresponding elements reflected along the main diagonal. This means that the matrix is equal to the negative of its transpose.

3. How do you prove the sum of a symmetric and skew-symmetric matrix is a general matrix?

To prove this, we need to show that the sum of a symmetric matrix A and a skew-symmetric matrix B results in a general matrix C. This can be shown by expanding the sum of A + B and using the properties of symmetry and skew-symmetry to simplify the resulting terms. The resulting matrix C will have elements that are not necessarily equal to their corresponding elements reflected along the main diagonal, making it a general matrix.

4. What are the properties of symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices?

The main properties of symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices are:

• A symmetric matrix is equal to its transpose: A = AT
  • A skew-symmetric matrix is equal to the negative of its transpose: B = -BT
  • The sum of a symmetric and skew-symmetric matrix results in a general matrix: A + B = C
  • The product of a symmetric and skew-symmetric matrix is always a skew-symmetric matrix: A*B = C, where C is skew-symmetric

5. Why is it important to understand the properties of symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices?

Understanding the properties of symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices is important in many areas of mathematics and science. These matrices are commonly used in linear algebra and have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Knowing how to manipulate and solve problems involving symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices can greatly enhance one's understanding and ability to solve complex problems in these fields.