Proving that integral of transfer function equals 1

In summary: But if we assume E(f)=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} f(x) \, dx, then the proof would be the following:In summary, we are given the following information:- The expected value of a function is equal to the expected value of the convolution of that function f with a transfer function g, or E(f) = E(\widetilde{f}).- We are asked to prove that \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} g(t) \, dt = 1.- The definitions we need are \widetilde{f} = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} f(x-t)g(t) \, dt and E(f)
whatsoever

Homework Statement

Given that the expected value of a function is equal to the expected value of the convolution of that function f with a transfer function g
[tex]
E(f) = E(\widetilde{f})
[/tex]
prove that the following holds
[tex]
\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} g(t) \, dt = 1
[/tex]
Here f is the function and g is the transfer function, and [tex]\widetilde{f}=f*g[/tex] is the convolution

Homework Equations

[tex]
\widetilde{f} = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} f(x-t)g(t) \, dt
[/tex]

[tex]
E(f) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x) \, dx
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this, my guess is that by replacing E(f) on both sides would lead to the proof:
[tex]
\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x) \, dx = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)g(t) \, dt\, dx
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
$$
E(\tilde{f}) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)g(t) \, dt\, dx = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} \left( \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)\,dx \right) g(t) \, dt
$$
How do you recognize the integral inside the parentheses?
EDIT: On a second thought, are you sure you don't miss any given information?

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
E(\tilde{f}) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)g(t) \, dt\, dx = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} \left( \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)\,dx \right) g(t) \, dt
$$
How do you recognize the integral inside the parentheses?
EDIT: On a second thought, are you sure you don't miss any given information?
No, I am not sure I am not missing anything. It's very hard to understand what the professor is saying or writing on the board, most of the time we try to decode what he meant to say.
How can I relate the integral in the parentheses to E(f), my calculus-fu is weak?

What about the expected value of ##g(t)##? Is it not given?

blue_leaf77 said:
What about the expected value of ##g(t)##? Is it not given?
It's not given for sure.

whatsoever said:

Homework Statement

Given that the expected value of a function is equal to the expected value of the convolution of that function f with a transfer function g
[tex]
E(f) = E(\widetilde{f})
[/tex]
prove that the following holds
[tex]
\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} g(t) \, dt = 1
[/tex]
Here f is the function and g is the transfer function, and [tex]\widetilde{f}=f*g[/tex] is the convolution

Homework Equations

[tex]
\widetilde{f} = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} f(x-t)g(t) \, dt
[/tex]

[tex]
E(f) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x) \, dx
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this, my guess is that by replacing E(f) on both sides would lead to the proof:
[tex]
\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x) \, dx = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} xf(x-t)g(t) \, dt\, dx
[/tex]

Are you sure about the definition of ##E(f)##? IF ##f(x)## is a probability density function (that is, ##f \geq 0## and ##\int f = 1##) then the quantity ##\int x f(x) \, dx## is, indeed, the expected value of the random variable associated with ##f##. However, if your problem is not in the context of probability and statistics, there is no reason to look at ##\int x f(x) \, dx##. Are you sure you are not supposed to take ##E(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \, dx##?

Ray Vickson said:
Are you sure about the definition of ##E(f)##? IF ##f(x)## is a probability density function (that is, ##f \geq 0## and ##\int f = 1##) then the quantity ##\int x f(x) \, dx## is, indeed, the expected value of the random variable associated with ##f##. However, if your problem is not in the context of probability and statistics, there is no reason to look at ##\int x f(x) \, dx##. Are you sure you are not supposed to take ##E(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \, dx##?

This would make more sense, as I said it's kind of hard to make out what is written on the board and I didn't check the equation for the expected value.

Related to Proving that integral of transfer function equals 1

1. What is the integral of a transfer function?

The integral of a transfer function is the area under the curve of the function, from negative infinity to positive infinity. It represents the total effect of the transfer function on the input signal.

2. Why is it important to prove that the integral of a transfer function equals 1?

Proving that the integral of a transfer function equals 1 is important because it ensures that the transfer function is properly normalized. This means that the output signal is directly proportional to the input signal, allowing for accurate analysis and prediction of system behavior.

3. How is the integral of a transfer function calculated?

The integral of a transfer function can be calculated using integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or numerical integration methods. It can also be calculated analytically for simpler transfer functions.

4. What are some common mistakes when attempting to prove that the integral of a transfer function equals 1?

Some common mistakes when proving the integral of a transfer function equals 1 include using incorrect integration techniques, forgetting to include the bounds of integration, or making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the integral of a transfer function ever be greater than or less than 1?

No, the integral of a transfer function should always equal 1 if the function is properly normalized. If the integral is greater than 1, it means that the output signal is amplified, and if it is less than 1, it means that the output signal is attenuated. Both of these scenarios indicate that the transfer function is not accurately representing the system's behavior.