Proving that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 6

• Thread starter Aidan1
  • Start date
In summary: What I mean is that evaluating f(k+1) - f(k) doesn't seem to have any mathematical reasoning to do with the proof you're trying to make, but if you evaluate f(k+1) - f(k) later on in the proof (as in your case), then it's fine because you're just using it as a means to an end, not as a starting point.If I were to see your proof as a student, I would ask "Why did you choose to evaluate f(k+1)-f(k)? What was the reasoning behind it?" and I don't think you'd be able to give me a satisfactory answer.Anyway, this is just my personal preference and I don't mean to detract from
Aidan1

Homework Statement

Prove by induction that [itex] n (n^2 +5) [/itex] is divisible by 6 for all positive integers [itex] n [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex] f(n) = n (n^2 +5) [/itex]

[itex] f(1) = 6 [/itex]

So, true for [itex] n=1 [/itex]

Assume true for [itex] f(k) [/itex]

For [itex] n = k + 1 [/itex]:

[itex] f(k+1) = (k+1)[(k+1)^2 +5] [/itex]
[itex] f(k+1)-f(k) = (k+1)(k^2 +2k +6) - k^3 + 5k [/itex]
[itex] f(k+1)-f(k) = k^3 + 2k^2 + 6k +k^2 + 2k + 6 - k^3 -5k [/itex]
[itex] f(k+1)-f(k) = 3k^2 + 3k +6 [/itex]

I'm totally stuck from here. I was expecting f(k+1) - f(k) to be divisible by six, so then f(k+1) would be equal to the sum of two numbers divisible by six, which would show that f(k+1) is divisible by six. How can I show that final term is divisible by six? Or have I made a dumb mistake somewhere? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No no no... You shouldn't instantly jump to f(k+1)-f(k) to try and prove this. To prove this divisibility problem, you need to do something more with your assumption:

Since
[tex]f(k)=k(k^2+5)[/tex]
and is divisible by 6 by assumption, then we have that
[tex]f(k)=6N[/tex] for some integer N. We will be using this substitution in our proof.

Now, by working with f(k+1) we want to try and get it into a format such that we can directly substitute [itex]k(k^2+5)=6N[/itex] in.

So we have that

[tex]f(k+1)=(k+1)((k+1)^2+5)[/tex]

Now you should expand completely, then you'll need to rearrange things to make it something like f(k+1)=f(k) + ...

Mentallic said:
No no no... You shouldn't instantly jump to f(k+1)-f(k) to try and prove this.
Why not? It works quite nicely.

Aidan1 said:
[itex] f(k+1)-f(k) = 3k^2 + 3k +6 [/itex]
Take both sides modulo 6. Obviously the +6 term on the right hand side contributes nothing. Can you take it from there?

D H said:
Why not? It works quite nicely.
What is the reasoning behind taking that approach?

What does modulo mean?

Mentallic said:
What is the reasoning behind taking that approach?
A constructive proof that finds some integer [itex]a_n[/itex] such that [itex]f(n) \equiv n(n^2+5) = 6a_n[/itex] certainly is one way to solve this problem. There are other ways. Another approach is to use the fact that a number [itex]n[/itex] divides some number [itex]a[/itex] iff [itex]a = 0 \mod n[/itex]. In other words, all one has to do solve this problem is to show that [itex]f(n) \equiv n(n^2+5) = 0 \mod 6[/itex].

I don't want to post my solution here in this thread; this is a homework question after all. I sent my solution as a PM to you instead. Read your private messages.

Aidan1 said:
What does modulo mean?
Essentially it means remainder. For example [itex]20\bmod6=4[/itex] because dividing 20 by 6 leaves a remainder of 4.

Another way of saying that some number n divides some other number a is that [itex]a\bmod n = 0[/itex] (dividing a by n has a remainder of 0).

DH, the proof you sent me is essentially what I would've done as well, minus the use of modulo and instead using the technique I posted in post #2 which is more intuitive for the younger Mathematicians, especially considering:

Aidan1 said:
What does modulo mean?

Anyway, the reason I don't like instantly finding f(k+1) - f(k) is because it doesn't seem to have any reasoning to back it up. Why have you chosen to evaluate this expression? Now even though you'll end up evaluating that expression eventually, it doesn't justify the leap of faith you have to take to evaluate it straight away.

Related to Proving that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 6

1. What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 6?

A number is divisible by 6 if it can be divided evenly by 6 without leaving a remainder. This means that when divided by 6, the quotient will be a whole number.

2. How can we prove that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 6?

We can prove this by using the divisibility rule for 6. This rule states that a number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by both 2 and 3. We can show that n(n^2+5) is divisible by both 2 and 3 separately, which proves that it is divisible by 6.

3. How do we know that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 2?

We can show that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 2 by using the divisibility rule for 2. This rule states that a number is divisible by 2 if the last digit is even. Since 5 is an odd number, n^2+5 will always have an odd last digit. Therefore, the only way for n(n^2+5) to be divisible by 2 is if n is an even number.

4. How do we know that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 3?

We can show that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 3 by using the divisibility rule for 3. This rule states that a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. Since n(n^2+5) is a multiplication of two numbers, the sum of its digits will be the same as the sum of the digits of n. Therefore, if n is divisible by 3, then n(n^2+5) will also be divisible by 3.

5. Can we prove that n(n^2+5) is divisible by 6 for all values of n?

Yes, we can prove this by using mathematical induction. First, we prove that the statement is true for n=1. Then, we assume that it is true for n=k and use this to prove that it is also true for n=k+1. This shows that the statement is true for all values of n.