Proving the Existence of One Cyclic Subgroup in a Cyclic Group of Order n

In summary, in a cyclic group G of order n, if r is an integer dividing n, then G contains exactly one subgroup of order r. This subgroup must be cyclic, as shown through the use of the isomorphism between G and Z/nZ and the fact that any subgroup of Z/nZ must be in the form Z/mZ. Using this, it can be proven that this subgroup is generated by x^(n/r), making it a cyclic subgroup.
murmillo

Homework Statement

Let G be a cyclic group of order n, and let r be an integer dividing n. Prove that G contains exactly one subgroup of order r.

Homework Equations

cyclic group, subgroup

The Attempt at a Solution

Say the group G is {x^0, x^1, ..., x^(n-1)}
If there is a subgroup H of order r, it must be cyclic, because: why? I can't figure it out, but I have a feeling that it must be cyclic.

H is generated by some element, call it b=x^m. Since x^r = 0, we have (x^m)(x^m)... (r times) = 0. Thus mr=n and H must be the cyclic group generated by x^(n/r).

I have a feeling that I have the right idea but I don't know how to show that a group is cyclic. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait, I can use the fact that the cyclic subgroup G is isomorphic to Z/nZ with additive law of composition. Then can I say that any subgroup of Z/nZ must be in the form Z/mZ and then use the isomorphism idea to get back to H being a cyclic subgroup?

FAQ: Proving the Existence of One Cyclic Subgroup in a Cyclic Group of Order n

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure that is generated by a single element, known as the generator. This means that every element in the group can be expressed as a power of the generator. In other words, the group repeats itself in a cycle.

2. How do you prove that a group is cyclic?

In order to prove that a group is cyclic, you need to show that there exists an element in the group that can generate all other elements through repeated multiplication. This element is called the generator of the group.

3. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the properties of a group. In other words, the elements of a subgroup can be combined using the group's operation and still remain within the subgroup.

4. How do you prove that a subgroup is cyclic?

To prove that a subgroup is cyclic, you need to show that there exists an element in the subgroup that can generate all other elements through repeated multiplication within the subgroup. This element is called the generator of the subgroup.

5. Can a cyclic group have more than one generator?

Yes, a cyclic group can have more than one generator. However, all generators of a cyclic group will have the same order, which is equal to the order of the group. This means that they will generate the same elements, just in a different order.

Back