Proving the fundamental theorem of calculus using limits

In summary, the conversation discusses using an \epsilon-\delta limit approach to prove the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is possible to prove that F'(x)=f(x) by finding a \delta > 0 such that \Bigg\vert\frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h}-f(x)\Bigg\vert < \varepsilon whenever 0 < \delta < h. The link provided in the conversation uses this approach and it seems to be a valid and easy to follow proof. The proof is also valid to say that F'(x)=f(x)\Rightarrow F'=f, meaning that the derivative of the function F is equal to the original function f. However, there may be a mistake
"Don't panic!"
Would it be a legitimate (valid) proof to use an [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-[itex]\delta[/itex] limit approach to prove the fundamental theorem of calculus?
i.e. as the FTC states that if [itex]f[/itex] is a continuous function on [itex][a,b][/itex], then we can define a function [itex]F: [a,b]\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [tex]F(x)=\int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt[/tex]
Then [itex]F[/itex] is differentiable on [itex](a,b)[/itex], and [itex]\forall\;\; x\in (a,b)[/itex],
[tex]F'(x)=f(x)[/tex] Is it possible to prove that this is true by showing that for any given [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex] we can find a [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that [tex]\Bigg\vert\frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h}-f(x)\Bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/tex] whenever [itex]0<\delta < h[/itex]?

(I've found these set of notes https://math.berkeley.edu/~ogus/Math_1A/lectures/fundamental.pdf that uses this approach and it seems legitimate and easy to follow, but I'm unsure whether it's valid or not)?!

(Also, is it valid to say that [itex]F'(x)=f(x)\Rightarrow F'=f[/itex], i.e. the derivative of the function [itex]F[/itex] is equal to the original function [itex]f[/itex], such that [itex]F(x)=F(a)+\int_{a}^{x}\frac{dF}{dt}dt[/itex]?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely use the Newton quotient method to prove the fundamental theorem of calculus.
I would try approximating the integral from x to x+h by hf(x) and thus the Newton quotient by f(x).
I would then use the continuity of f to show that this approximation differs from the actual integral by epsilon as h goes to zero.

Last edited:
"Don't panic!" said:
Then [itex]F[/itex] is differentiable on [itex](a,b)[/itex], and [itex]\forall\;\; x\in (a,b)[/itex],
[tex]F'(x)=f(x)[/tex] Is it possible to prove that this is true by showing that for any given [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex] we can find a [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that [tex]\Bigg\vert\frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h}-f(x)\Bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/tex] whenever [itex]0<\delta < h[/itex]?

Why wouldn't that be valid? (Although, you've got ##h## and ##\delta## the wrong way round in the final inequality.)

lavinia said:
You can definitely use the Newton quotient method to prove the fundamental theorem of calculus.
I would try approximating the integral from x to x+h by hf(x) and thus the Newton quotient by f(x).
I would then use the continuity of f to show that this approximation differ from the actual integral by epsilon as h goes to zero.

So the proof given in the link I gave would be a valid one then?! (Sorry for going on a bit, just wanted to double check)

PeroK said:
Why wouldn't that be valid? (Although, you've got hh and δ\delta the wrong way round in the final inequality.)

Whoops, yes thanks for pointing out the mistake. Yes, I couldn't see anything wrong with it myself, but I'm not particularly confident in myself, so wanted to clarify it.

"Don't panic!" said:
So the proof given in the link I gave would be a valid one then?! (Sorry for going on a bit, just wanted to double check)

Try doing the proof as I sketched it for yourself.

Would the following be correct?

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a continuous function on [itex][a,b][/itex] and define a function [itex]F: [a,b]\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [tex]F(x)=\int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt[/tex]
Now, for small [itex]h\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] we can approximate the difference between the values of [itex]F[/itex] at [itex]x[/itex] and at [itex]x+h[/itex] by [itex]hf(x)[/itex], i.e. [tex]F(x+h)-F(x)\approx hf(x)[/tex]
As [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][a,b][/itex] we know that, for a given number [itex]t\in [x,x+h][/itex] the following limit exists [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(t)=f(x)[/tex]
In other words, there exists a [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that for any [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex], [tex]0<h<\delta\;\;\Rightarrow\;\; \bigg\vert f(t)-f(x)\bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/tex] This implies that [tex]f(x)-\varepsilon <f(t)< f(x)+\varepsilon \\ \Rightarrow\;\;\int_{x}^{x+h}\left(f(x)-\varepsilon\right)dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}\left(f(x)+\varepsilon\right)dt \\ \Rightarrow\;\; \left(f(x)-\varepsilon\right)h < \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \left(f(x)+\varepsilon\right)h \\ \Rightarrow\;\; f(x)-\varepsilon < \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < f(x)+\varepsilon [/tex] which further implies that [tex]\bigg\vert \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt -f(x)\bigg\vert < \varepsilon[/tex] and as such the limit [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt = f(x)[/tex] exists.
Finally we note that [tex]F(x+h)-F(x)=\int_{a}^{x+h}f(t)dt - \int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt \\ \qquad\qquad\qquad\quad\;= \left(\int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt +\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt\right) - \int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt \\ \qquad\qquad\qquad\quad\;= \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt[/tex]
and so [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h} = F'(x) = f(x) [/tex]

Some comments:

"Don't panic!" said:
Would the following be correct?

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a continuous function on [itex][a,b][/itex] and define a function [itex]F: [a,b]\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [tex]F(x)=\int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt[/tex]
Now, for small [itex]h\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] we can approximate the difference between the values of [itex]F[/itex] at [itex]x[/itex] and at [itex]x+h[/itex] by [itex]hf(x)[/itex], i.e. [tex]F(x+h)-F(x)\approx hf(x)[/tex]

I'm not sure why you included this, as you don't use it. That's the "informal" proof, just to use that approximation.
"Don't panic!" said:
As [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][a,b][/itex] we know that, for a given number [itex]t\in [x,x+h][/itex] the following limit exists [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(t)=f(x)[/tex]
In other words, there exists a [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that for any [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex], [tex]0<h<\delta\;\;\Rightarrow\;\; \bigg\vert f(t)-f(x)\bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/tex]

You need to sort out the order of ##\epsilon-\delta## here. And also, you need to think about how ##t## relates to this.

Hint: it should be ##\epsilon## then ##\delta## then ##h## then ##t##

I think the rest is fine, although you might consider why you can take ##h > 0##. This seems to be a flaw in the link as well.

"Don't panic!" said:
This implies that [tex]f(x)-\varepsilon <f(t)< f(x)+\varepsilon \\ \Rightarrow\;\;\int_{x}^{x+h}\left(f(x)-\varepsilon\right)dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}\left(f(x)+\varepsilon\right)dt \\ \Rightarrow\;\; \left(f(x)-\varepsilon\right)h < \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \left(f(x)+\varepsilon\right)h \\ \Rightarrow\;\; f(x)-\varepsilon < \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < f(x)+\varepsilon [/tex] which further implies that [tex]\bigg\vert \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt -f(x)\bigg\vert < \varepsilon[/tex] and as such the limit [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt = f(x)[/tex] exists.
Finally we note that [tex]F(x+h)-F(x)=\int_{a}^{x+h}f(t)dt - \int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt \\ \qquad\qquad\qquad\quad\;= \left(\int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt +\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt\right) - \int_{a}^{x}f(t)dt \\ \qquad\qquad\qquad\quad\;= \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt[/tex]
and so [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h} = F'(x) = f(x) [/tex]

Thanks for your feedback.

PeroK said:
You need to sort out the order of ϵδ\epsilon-\delta here. And also, you need to think about how tt relates to this.

Hint: it should be ϵ\epsilon then δ\delta then hh then tt

So would it be the following?

As [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex]x\in [a,b][/itex], we have that for any [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that [itex]0<h< \delta [/itex] (where [itex]h>0[/itex] is some small positive number). Then, for all [itex]t\in [x,x+h][/itex] that satisfy [itex] 0<(t+h)-t=h< \delta[/itex], we have that the following inequality holds [itex]\bigg\vert f(t)-f(x)\bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/itex], and as such the following limit exists [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(t)=f(x)[/tex] where [itex]f(x)\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Last edited:
That's essentially correct but if you break it down a bit more I think it's more logical. For example:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##

As f is continuous ##\exists \delta > 0## such that ##|t - x| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(t) - f(x)| < \epsilon##

Let ##0 < h < \delta## ...

PeroK said:
As f is continuous ∃δ>0\exists \delta > 0 such that |t−x|<δ⇒|f(t)−f(x)|<ϵ|t - x| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(t) - f(x)| < \epsilon

Let 0<h<δ0 < h < \delta ...

Is what you've written the case because of the following:

[itex]f[/itex] is continuous [itex]\forall\;\; t\in [a,b][/itex] and in particular at [itex]t=x[/itex] and so [itex]\exists\delta >0[/itex] such that [itex]\vert t-x\vert <\delta\Rightarrow\big\vert f(t)-f(x)\big\vert <\varepsilon[/itex], i.e. the following limit exists: [tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow x}f(t)=f(x)[/tex] Given this we can consider the interval [itex][x,x+h][/itex] (where [itex]h>0[/itex] is some small number) such that [tex]x\leq t\leq x+h \;\;\Rightarrow\;\; 0\leq t-x \leq h<\delta[/tex] which motivates us to assume the same [itex]\delta >0[/itex] such that we have [itex]0<h<\delta[/itex]. We can then use that, from the above criteria, when [itex]t\in [x,x+h][/itex] we have that [itex]\vert t-x\vert <\delta[/itex] and so we know that the following inequality holds, [itex] f(x)-\varepsilon <f(t)< f(x)+\varepsilon[/itex]. From this, we can use that [tex]f(x)-\varepsilon <f(t)< f(x)+\varepsilon\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;\int_{x}^{x+h}\left[f(x)-\varepsilon \right]dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \int_{x}^{x+h}\left[f(x)+\varepsilon \right]dt \\ \Rightarrow \left[f(x)-\varepsilon \right]h <\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < \left[f(x)+\varepsilon \right]h \;\;\Rightarrow\;\; f(x)-\varepsilon <\frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt < f(x)+\varepsilon [/tex] and this implies that [tex]\Bigg\vert \frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt -f(x)\Bigg\vert <\varepsilon[/tex] whenever [itex]0<h<\delta[/itex] and the rest follows...?

You are over-complicating things. What I wrote is based on the clear and simple definition of the limits we are considering. To extend this a bit further:

Let ##x \in (a, b)##

Let ##\epsilon > 0##

As ##f## is continuous at ##x## ##\exists \delta > 0## such that ##|t - x| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(t) - f(x)| < \epsilon##

Let ##0 < h < \delta##

##t \in [x, x+h] \Rightarrow |t-x| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(t)-f(x)| < \epsilon##

##\Rightarrow \int_{x}^{x+h}|f(t)-f(x)|dt < h\epsilon \Rightarrow |\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)-f(x)dt| < h\epsilon \Rightarrow |\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt -hf(x)| < h\epsilon##

##\Rightarrow |\frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt -f(x)| < \epsilon##

##\therefore \lim_{h \rightarrow 0^{+}}\frac{1}{h}\int_{x}^{x+h}f(t)dt = f(x)##

Which, hopefully, is clear and logical.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, I admit I do have a tendency to over-complicate things at times, apologies for that!

PeroK said:
t∈[x,x+h]⇒|t−x|<δ

Does this follow because if [itex]t\in [x,x+h][/itex] then [itex]x\leq x\leq x+h[/itex] which implies that [itex]0\leq t-x \leq h < \delta[/itex] (in the limit definition doesn't it have to be [itex] 0<\vert t-x\vert<\delta[/itex] though?)

Also, can we get away with just considering [itex]h>0[/itex] by noting that [itex] f[/itex] is continuous in this interval and hence the right-hand limit must equal the left-hand limit and so the derivative [itex]F'(x)[/itex] exists?

Related to Proving the fundamental theorem of calculus using limits

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. In other words, if we integrate a function and then differentiate the resulting integral, we will obtain the original function.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus proven using limits?

The fundamental theorem of calculus can be proven using the concept of limits. By taking the limit of a sum of rectangles, we can approximate the area under a curve and determine the exact value of the integral. This process involves shrinking the width of the rectangles to an infinitesimally small value, resulting in a precise calculation of the integral.

3. What are the two parts of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is divided into two parts: the first part states that if we know the derivative of a function, we can find the integral of that function, and the second part states that if we know the integral of a function, we can find the original function (up to a constant).

4. What is the role of the intermediate value theorem in proving the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The intermediate value theorem is used to prove the existence of the definite integral. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it must take on every value between its maximum and minimum values on that interval. This is crucial in showing that the limit of the sum of rectangles approaches the exact value of the integral.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate areas and volumes, determine rates of change, and solve optimization problems. Without this theorem, many real-world problems would be much more difficult to solve.