Proving the Ideal Status of K in R: I and J as Ideals in a Ring R

• Thread starter Rfields
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks if the set K, defined as {ab | a ∈ I, b ∈ J}, is an ideal in the ring R where I and J are ideals in R. K is not empty and seems to satisfy condition (iii) for an ideal, but a counterexample is needed to determine if K is an ideal.
Rfields

Homework Statement

Let I and J be ideals in R. Is the set K = {ab|a is an element of I, b is an element of J} an ideal in R?

Homework Equations

Conditions for an ideal, I of a ring R;
(i)I is nonempty,
(ii)for any c,e ε I: c-eεI
(iii)for any c ε I, rεR: rc, cr ε I.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a,bεK.

K is not empty since it contains 0.
K seems to satisfy condition (iii) since r(ab)=(ra)b, and raεI since I is an ideal. Then (ra)bεK.
Also, (ab)r=a(br), and since brεJ, a(br)εK.

But nothing jumps out at me when I examine ab - cd , where a,cεI and b,dεJ.

Is it possible this is not an ideal?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding a counterexample.

Related to Proving the Ideal Status of K in R: I and J as Ideals in a Ring R

1. What is an ideal in R?

An ideal in R is a subset of the ring R that satisfies certain properties. It is a generalization of the concept of a subgroup in a group. In simple terms, an ideal is a set of elements in R that can be multiplied by any element in R and still remain in the ideal.

2. How do you prove an ideal in R?

To prove that a subset I of R is an ideal, you must show that it satisfies two conditions: (1) for any x and y in I, x + y is also in I, and (2) for any x in I and any element r in R, rx and xr are both in I. These conditions are known as the ideal axioms and are the defining properties of an ideal.

3. What is the significance of proving an ideal in R?

Proving an ideal in R is important because it allows us to understand the structure of a ring and its substructures. It also helps us to identify and classify different types of rings. Additionally, proving an ideal in R is a crucial step in many mathematical proofs and constructions.

4. Can an ideal be a proper subset of R?

Yes, an ideal can be a proper subset of R. In fact, it is common for an ideal to be a proper subset, as long as it satisfies the ideal axioms. A proper ideal is an ideal that is not equal to the entire ring R.

5. Are there different types of ideals in R?

Yes, there are different types of ideals in R. Some common types include principal ideals, which are generated by a single element, and maximal ideals, which are the largest possible proper ideals in a given ring R. Other types include prime ideals, radical ideals, and finitely generated ideals.