Proving the Independence of Connected Sum on Open Discs: A Topological Approach

In summary, the problem at hand is to prove that the connected sum of two topological surfaces does not depend on the open discs removed, assuming the surface is path-connected. This can be shown by finding a homeomorphism from the surface to itself that restricts to the given homeomorphism on the boundaries of the discs. One approach is to use a theorem stating that every surface is homeomorphic to some polygon with certain edges identified. However, this still requires accounting for different cases, such as when the disc lies on an edge. Finding an open set that covers both discs and a homeomorphism between the respective cases on this set may make the problem more manageable.
Diophantus
I am trying to show that the connected sum of two topological surfaces does not depend on the open discs removed.

Any hints?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is obviously only true if the surface is path connected. You want to show that for every such surface, any two discs on the surface, and any homeomorphism between their boundaries, there exists a homeomorphism from the surface to itself which restricts to the given homeomorphism on the boundaries of the discs (do you see why this is what you want to show?). The easiest way I can think to do this is to use a theorem that states every surface is homeomorphic to some polygon with certain edges identified. It'll still be difficult though, as you'll need to account for several different cases, eg, when the disc lies on an edge.

Yes I should have said path-connected.

You want to show that for every such surface, any two discs on the surface, and any homeomorphism between their boundaries, there exists a homeomorphism from the surface to itself which restricts to the given homeomorphism on the boundaries of the discs (do you see why this is what you want to show?).

I do indeed see why this is equivalent to the statement - we apply this to both surfaces and then apply a 'gluing lemma' to complete the proof.

The easiest way I can think to do this is to use a theorem that states every surface is homeomorphic to some polygon with certain edges identified.

I know a theorem which does this for closed surfaces so I suppose the general one would be the same but would not necessarily involve EVERY edge in our topological polygon to be identified. Is this correct?

It'll still be difficult though, as you'll need to account for several different cases, eg, when the disc lies on an edge.

Counting all cases does indeed sound tricky. I suppose just finding an open set which covers both discs and finding a homeomorphism between the respective cases resticted to this open set would do but I don't know if that makes things any easier.

I certainly have more insight into the problem now anyway, thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Proving the Independence of Connected Sum on Open Discs: A Topological Approach

1. What is a topological surface?

A topological surface is a mathematical concept that describes a two-dimensional object that is continuous and can be smoothly deformed without tearing or cutting.

2. How is a topological surface different from a geometric surface?

A topological surface is different from a geometric surface because it is not limited by the concept of Euclidean space and can have non-Euclidean properties, such as being able to bend or stretch without changing its essential shape.

3. What are some examples of topological surfaces?

Some examples of topological surfaces include a sphere, a torus, a Möbius strip, and a Klein bottle. These surfaces can have different properties, such as being orientable or non-orientable, closed or open, and compact or non-compact.

4. How are topological surfaces used in science?

Topological surfaces are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, biology, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to model and understand complex systems, such as the structure of proteins, the behavior of fluids, and the dynamics of networks.

5. What are some current research topics related to topological surfaces?

Some current research topics related to topological surfaces include the study of topological phases of matter, the development of new topological materials, and the application of topological methods in computer vision and machine learning. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the classification and characterization of topological surfaces and their connections to other areas of mathematics, such as knot theory and algebraic topology.