Proving the inertia of a quadratic surface?

In summary, the inertia of a quadratic form and its associated matrix is defined as the triple (n1, n2, n3) where n1, n2, and n3 represent the number of positive, negative, and zero eigenvalues respectively. This can be used to classify the type of surface the quadratic form represents. For example, if in(A) = (3, 0, 0), then the quadratic form is an ellipsoid. The pattern continues for other surfaces such as elliptic paraboloid, hyperboloid of one sheet, hyperboloid of two sheets, hyperbolic paraboloid, and parabolic cylinder. The connection between eigenvalues and these surfaces can be understood by analyzing the equations for
cookiesyum

Homework Statement

Let F(x, y, z) be a quadratic form and A its associated matrix. The inertia of A, denoted in(A), is defined as the triple in(A) = (n1, n2, n3) where n1, n2, n3 denotes the number of positive, negative, and zero eigenvalues of A respectively. Prove the following:

If in(A) = (3, 0, 0) then the quadratic is an ellipsoid.
If in(A) = (2, 0, 1) then the quadratic is an elliptic paraboloid.
If in(A) = (2, 1, 0) then the quadratic is a hyperboloid of one sheet.
If in(A) = (1, 2, 0) then the quadratic is a hyperboloid of two sheets.
If in(A) = (1, 1, 1) then the quadratic is a hyperbolic paraboloid.
If in(A) = (1, 0, 2) then the quadratic is a parabolic cylinder.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the number of eigenvalues has some direct connection with the defined equations for all of those surfaces. For example, the a, b, and c constants are all positive in the equation of an ellipsoid, so its inertia is (3, 0, 0). But, then what about, for example, the elliptic paraboloid? It's equation is z = x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 so it should have 2 positive eigenvalues. Where does the one negative come from? I am having trouble picturing the connection between eigenvalues and these surfaces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cookiesyum! :smile:
cookiesyum said:
But, then what about, for example, the elliptic paraboloid? It's equation is z = x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 so it should have 2 positive eigenvalues. Where does the one negative come from?

No, it's a zero eigenvalue (along the z-axis). :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi cookiesyum! :smile:No, it's a zero eigenvalue (along the z-axis). :wink:

Oh, I see! Thanks. So the pattern makes sense, but how would I go about proving it?

FAQ: Proving the inertia of a quadratic surface?

1. How do you define inertia for a quadratic surface?

Inertia for a quadratic surface is defined as the resistance of the surface to changes in its motion or orientation.

2. What is the formula for calculating inertia of a quadratic surface?

The formula for calculating inertia of a quadratic surface is I = ∫∫∫ρ(x,y,z)(x² + y² + z²)dxdydz, where ρ is the density of the surface and x, y, and z represent the coordinates of a point on the surface.

3. How can you experimentally prove the inertia of a quadratic surface?

To experimentally prove the inertia of a quadratic surface, you can conduct a physical test using a rigid body and measuring the resistance of the surface to changes in its motion or orientation.

4. What factors can affect the inertia of a quadratic surface?

The inertia of a quadratic surface can be affected by factors such as the density and distribution of mass on the surface, as well as the shape and size of the surface.

5. Why is proving the inertia of a quadratic surface important?

Proving the inertia of a quadratic surface is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion, and it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.