Proving the Inner Product Sum Inequality: Exploring the Equality Condition

In summary, the two inequalities given to us in lectures state that the inequality|<v,w>| ≤ ||v|| ||w||and the inequality||v||2 ≥ Ʃ|<v, ei>|2 if ei is a set of orthonormal elementsboth hold when the space \mathbb{R}^k is an inner product space. However, the most standard form of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is that it states that\sum_{k=1}^n |\alpha_k\beta_k|\leq \sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n |\alpha_k|
JonoPUH

Homework Statement

Let V be a real inner product space, and let v1, v2, ... , vk be a set of orthonormal vectors.
Prove
Ʃ (from j=1 to k)|<x,vj><y,vj>| ≤ ||x|| ||y||

When is there equality?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the two inequalities given to us in lectures, namely Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality which states

|<v,w>| ≤ ||v|| ||w||

But surely, using this inequality, we get Ʃ (from j=1 to k)|<x,vj><y,vj>| ≤ k(||x|| ||v|| ||y|| ||v|| = k( ||x|| ||y||) since the v are orthonormal!

I understand this is an inequality, and so obviously the inequality above is a better approximation than the one I've just shown, but I'm not sure where to go.

The other inequality is Bessel's Inequality which states

||v||2 ≥ Ʃ|<v, ei>|2 if ei is a set of orthonormal elements.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The space [itex]\mathbb{R}^k[/itex] is an inner product space for the usual inner product. What does the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality say in this special case [itex]\mathbb{R}^k[/itex]??

Ok, so according to Wikipedia (I haven't been taught this in lectures), the Cuachy-Schwarz inequality over ℝn is:

(Ʃ xiyi)2 ≤ Ʃxi2 Ʃyi2

Do I replace multiplication with inner products? I've tried that, but I must be doing something wrong.

(Ʃ <x,vj>)2 ≤ Ʃ<x,x> Ʃ<vj,vj> = k||x||2Ʃ<vj,vj> = k||x||2 x k since ||vj||=1 ?
But then where should I go from here, if here is where I should be?
Sorry

JonoPUH said:
Ok, so according to Wikipedia (I haven't been taught this in lectures), the Cuachy-Schwarz inequality over ℝn is:

(Ʃ xiyi)2 ≤ Ʃxi2 Ʃyi2

Do I replace multiplication with inner products? I've tried that, but I must be doing something wrong.

(Ʃ <x,vj>)2 ≤ Ʃ<x,x> Ʃ<vj,vj> = k||x||2Ʃ<vj,vj> = k||x||2 x k since ||vj||=1 ?
But then where should I go from here, if here is where I should be?
Sorry

The version of Cauchy-Schwarz that is most standard is actually

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n |\alpha_k\beta_k|\leq \sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n |\alpha_k|^2}\sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n |\beta_k|^2}[/tex]

Now, apply this on your original problem

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n |<x,v_k><y,v_k>|[/tex]

Thank you so much! I think I have it, although it seems very easy, which always seems suspicious to me in maths. Here goes:

Ʃ |<x,vj><y,vj>| ≤ √(Ʃ<x,vj>2) √(Ʃ<xy,vj>2)

Then by Bessel's Inequality

√Ʃ<x,vj>2√Ʃ<xy,vj>2 ≤ √||x||2 √||y||2

So Ʃ |<x,vj><y,vj>| ≤ ||x|| ||y|| as required!

Last edited:
Thank you very much! You've made my night!

Related to Proving the Inner Product Sum Inequality: Exploring the Equality Condition

What is the "Inner Product Sum Inequality"?

The Inner Product Sum Inequality is a mathematical inequality that states that the sum of the inner products of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors. It is commonly used in linear algebra and is a fundamental concept in vector spaces.

What is the significance of the Inner Product Sum Inequality?

The Inner Product Sum Inequality is important because it allows us to compare the magnitudes of two vectors based on their inner products. It also has applications in various fields such as optimization, geometry, and statistics.

How is the Inner Product Sum Inequality proven?

The Inner Product Sum Inequality can be proven using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. By applying this inequality to the sum of inner products, we can prove the Inner Product Sum Inequality.

Can the Inner Product Sum Inequality be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, the Inner Product Sum Inequality can be extended to any number of vectors. It states that the sum of the inner products of all the vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This extension is known as the Generalized Inner Product Sum Inequality.

What are some real-world applications of the Inner Product Sum Inequality?

The Inner Product Sum Inequality has various applications in real-world problems, such as determining the maximum and minimum values of a function, finding the shortest distance between two objects, and calculating the correlation between different variables in statistics. It is also used in machine learning algorithms and signal processing.