Proving the Least Upper Bound Property: A Mathematical Inquiry

In summary, the least upper bound proof does not finish. You still need to show that y is the least upper bound for A if z is an upper bound.
ssayan3
Least Upper Bound proof...

Homework Statement

Suppose A is a nonempty set that has x as an upper bound. Prove that x is the least upper bound of the set A iff for any E>0 there exists a y in A such that y>x-E

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The forward where you assume that x is the least upper bound is very easy, but I'm having some trouble proving the reverse...

This is what I have so far...

Let x be an upper bound of A, and choose a point z in A.
If x is an upper bound of A, then x+z is also an upper bound.

Physics news on Phys.org

To prove the reverse, you are given that x is an upper bound for A having the property:

If [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is a y in A satisfying x - [itex]\epsilon[/itex] < y

You have to show that no number z < y is an upper bound for A. What problem would arise if there was such a number z?

[Edit] Sorry, there is a typo. The last paragraph should have read:

You have to show that no number z < x is an upper bound for A. What problem would arise if there was such a number z?

Last edited:

Hmm... if there were such a number z, then y could not be the least upper bound...

Could the proof go something like this?:

Choose arbitrary E>0, and let y be an upper bound of A

Suppose z is an upper bound of A, and y>z>y-E.

y is not the lub

does this finish the proof?

ssayan3 said:
Hmm... if there were such a number z, then y could not be the least upper bound...

Could the proof go something like this?:

Choose arbitrary E>0, and let y be an upper bound of A

Suppose z is an upper bound of A, and y>z>y-E.

y is not the lub

does this finish the proof?

No. Sorry, but I had a typo which I have corrected. Read my reply and try again.

FAQ: Proving the Least Upper Bound Property: A Mathematical Inquiry

1. What is the definition of a Least Upper Bound?

A Least Upper Bound, also known as a supremum, is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to all elements in a non-empty set of real numbers.

2. How is the Least Upper Bound different from the Greatest Lower Bound?

The Least Upper Bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in a set, while the Greatest Lower Bound, also known as an infimum, is the largest number that is less than or equal to all elements in a set.

3. What is the significance of the Least Upper Bound in mathematical proofs?

The Least Upper Bound is significant in mathematical proofs because it helps to establish the existence of a limit or maximum value for a given set of numbers. It also allows for the completion of certain mathematical operations, such as the definition of continuity and convergence.

4. How is the Least Upper Bound used in the proof of the Monotone Convergence Theorem?

In the Monotone Convergence Theorem, the Least Upper Bound is used to show that a sequence of real numbers that is bounded above must converge to a limit, which is the supremum of the set. This allows for the proof of the theorem that states that any monotone, bounded sequence is convergent.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Least Upper Bound in mathematical proofs?

One limitation of using the Least Upper Bound in mathematical proofs is that it only applies to sets of real numbers. It cannot be used for sets of complex numbers or other types of mathematical objects. Additionally, the existence of a Least Upper Bound must be assumed in certain proofs, which may not always be possible or easy to prove.