Proving the Metric Property of a Function on Real Numbers

In summary, the function \rho is a metric on the real line and satisfies the following four conditions: 1) d(x, y) ≥ 0 2) d(x, y) = 0 if and only if x=y 3) d(x, y) = d(y, x) 4) d(x, z) ≤ d(x, y) + d(y, z)."
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Let a function [tex]\rho:\Re^{2}x\Re^{2}\rightarrow \Re_{+}[/tex] be defined by:
[tex]\rho((x_{1},y_{2}),(x_{2},y_{2})) = |x_{1} - x_{2}| + |y_{1} - y_{2}|[/tex]

Prove that [tex]\rho[/tex] is a metric on [tex]\Re^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

To be a metric it must satisfy:

1. d(x, y) ≥ 0 (non-negativity)
2. d(x, y) = 0 if and only if x = y (identity of indiscernibles)
3. d(x, y) = d(y, x) (symmetry)
4. d(x, z) ≤ d(x, y) + d(y, z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not going to give a full proof of each - I just want to see if my basic ideas are correct. I will exclaim that I am not very great at writing proofs just yet (so be critical but polite please :D )

1. It's obvious (considering the absolute values) that this will be greater than zero (but that isn't a valid statement in a proof...).

Should I do it case by case, ie:
x1 > x2 > 0 implies |x1 - x2| > 0
x2 > x1 > 0 implies x1 - x2 < 0 implies |x1 - x2| = -(x1 - x2) > 0
so on and so on until I have all cases and then can assume that is correct?

2. I'm kind of at a loss for this one... maybe(by contradiction)
(x1,y1), (x2,y2) are real numbers and distinct and |x1 - x2| + |y1 - y2| = 0
|x1 - x2| = d > 0
|y1 - y2| = e > 0
if this were to equal zero then
d = -e which is a contradiction (one of these would be less than zero)

3. This one would just be algebra

4. This one is also just some algebra

Obviously I need to formally state everything but otherwise does it seem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1 you don't need to do a case by case proof. [tex]|x_1-x_2| \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]|y_1-y_2| \geq 0[/tex] so [tex]|x_1-x_2|+|y_1-y_2|\geq 0[/tex].

You can use this to prove part 2 by noting that the inequalities [tex]|x_1-x_2| \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]|y_1-y_2| \geq 0[/tex] only give you zeros if [tex]x_1 = x_2[/tex] and [tex] y_1=y_2[/tex]

Alright... that's what I thought at first but for some reason that seemed too simple...

could my methods be considered correct (albeit longer and not as simple)?

FAQ: Proving the Metric Property of a Function on Real Numbers

1. What is a metric?

A metric is a quantifiable measurement used to track and evaluate the performance or progress of a system, process, or phenomenon. It is often used in scientific research to provide evidence or proof of a hypothesis or theory.

2. How do you determine if something is a metric?

In order for something to be considered a metric, it must be measurable, objective, and relevant to the specific system or phenomenon being studied. It should also be consistent and reliable, meaning that it can be replicated and produce similar results each time it is measured.

3. Can any type of data be considered a metric?

No, not all data can be considered a metric. In order for data to be considered a metric, it must be numerical and have a clear and defined unit of measurement. This allows for accurate and precise comparisons and analysis.

4. How are metrics used in scientific research?

Metrics are used in scientific research to provide evidence or proof of a hypothesis or theory. They are also used to track and evaluate the performance or progress of experiments or studies. Metrics help scientists make objective and data-driven conclusions and interpretations.

5. What are some examples of metrics in scientific research?

Examples of metrics in scientific research include measurements such as temperature, weight, time, concentration, and distance. Other examples include indices or scales used to measure attitudes, opinions, or behaviors in a study population. These metrics are used to provide evidence and support for research findings.