Proving the Minimum Directed Cycle Mean Cost Using Bellman-Ford Algorithm

• Thread starter Ganesh Ujwal
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to prove that the minimum directed cycle mean cost, denoted by ##\lambda##, satisfies the formula ##\lambda = \min_{i = 1,\ldots, n} \max_{0 \le k \le n-1} \left(\frac {p_i(n) - p_i(k)} {n-k}\right)## using the Bellman-Ford algorithm. The problem involves a directed graph with associated edge costs, where at least one directed cycle exists. The directed cycle mean cost is defined as the sum of the costs of the arcs divided by the number of arcs. The Bellman-Ford algorithm is used to find the shortest walk from a starting vertex that traverses a
Ganesh Ujwal
Member warned about not using the homework template
Prove ##\displaystyle \lambda=\min_{i = 1,\ldots, n}\max_{0 \le k \le n-1}\left(\frac {p_i(n)-p_i(k)}{n-k}\right)##
Prove the minimum directed cycle mean cost satisfies: ##\lambda = \min_{i = 1,\ldots, n} \max_{0 \le k \le n-1} \left(\frac {p_i(n) - p_i(k)} {n-k}\right)## using the Bellman-Ford algorithm.Let ##\mathcal G = (\mathcal V, \mathcal A)## be directed graph with associated edge costs ##c_{i,j}## that has at least one directed cycle (##c_{i,j} = \infty## for all ##(i,j) \notin \mathcal A##).Define the directed cycle mean cost to be ##\frac {\{\text {sum of cost of arcs}\}} { \text {# arcs}}##.Set ##p_i(0) = 0## and ##p_i(t+1) = \min_{j \in O(i)} \{ c_{i,j} + p_j(t) \}## for all ##i\in \mathcal V##.I've proven by induction that ##p_i(t)## denotes the length of the shortest walk start starts at ##i## and traverses ##t## arcs.Now, I want to prove that the minimum directed cycle mean cost ##\lambda## satisfies:##\lambda = \min_{i = 1,\ldots, n} \max_{0 \le k \le n-1} \left(\frac {p_i(n) - p_i(k)} {n-k}\right)##, where ##n## is the number of vertices in the graph ##\mathcal G##.I see that traversing ##n## arcs will always create a directed cycle. However, I don't know how to continue from here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Prove ##\lambda=\min_{i = 1,\ldots, n}\max_{0 \le k \le n-1}\left(\frac {p_i(n)-p_i(k)}{n-k}\right)##

Homework Equations

This is the part I can't figure out

The Attempt at a Solution

Prove the minimum directed cycle mean cost satisfies:
##\lambda = \min_{i = 1,\ldots, n} \max_{0 \le k \le n-1} \left(\frac {p_i(n) - p_i(k)} {n-k}\right)##using the Bellman-Ford algorithm.

Let ##\mathcal G = (\mathcal V, \mathcal A)## be directed graph with associated edge costs $c_{i,j}$ that has at least one directed cycle (##c_{i,j} = \infty## for all ##(i,j) \notin \mathcal A##).

Define the directed cycle mean cost to be ##\frac {\{\text {sum of cost of arcs}\}} { \text {# arcs}}##.

Set ##p_i(0) = 0## and ##p_i(t+1) = \min_{j \in O(i)} \{ c_{i,j} + p_j(t) \}## for all ##i\in \mathcal V##.

I've proven by induction that ##p_i(t)## denotes the length of the shortest walk start starts at ##i## and traverses ##t## arcs.

Now, I want to prove that the minimum directed cycle mean cost ##\lambda## satisfies:

##\lambda = \min_{i = 1,\ldots, n} \max_{0 \le k \le n-1} \left(\frac {p_i(n) - p_i(k)} {n-k}\right)##, where ##n## is the number of vertices in the graph ##\mathcal G##.

I see that traversing ##n## arcs will always create a directed cycle. However, I don't know how to continue from here.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proving the Minimum Directed Cycle Mean Cost Using Bellman-Ford Algorithm

1. How do I know where to start when trying to prove an equation?

The best place to start when trying to prove an equation is by breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts. Look for patterns or relationships within the equation and try to work from there. It may also be helpful to look at similar equations or concepts for inspiration.

2. Do I need any special tools or techniques to prove an equation?

While there are some specific techniques and tools that can be useful in proving equations, such as mathematical induction or proof by contradiction, they are not always necessary. Sometimes, simple logic and algebraic manipulation can be enough to prove an equation.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

One way to check the validity of your proof is to work backwards and substitute your solution back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, then your proof is likely correct. Another way is to have someone else review your proof and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to prove an equation?

If you get stuck while trying to prove an equation, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a colleague or mentor.

5. Can an equation be proven in more than one way?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to prove an equation. Some methods may be more straightforward or elegant than others, but as long as the proof is logically sound and follows the rules of mathematics, it is considered valid.

Back