Proving the Poisson summation formula (like a physicist)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Poisson summation formula in quantum mechanics and how it can be proved using complex Fourier series and coefficients. The final step involves plugging the result into an ansatz and making a substitution to obtain the desired equation.
center o bass
Hi! I'n my quantum mechanics homework I've been asked to proved the Poisson summation formula. The mathematicians seem to use abstract and confusing notation when proving this kind of thing so I'm hoping for some help from physicists in standard notation ;)

I'm starting with a function
[tex] f(x) = \sum_{k = - \infty}^\infty g(x + 2\pi k) [/tex]

which means that f is periodic in periods of two pi and thus can be explanded as a complex Fourier series

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty c_n e^{inx}[/tex]

with coefficients

[tex]c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi } \int_0^{2\pi} f(x) e^{-inx} dx[/tex]

This can manipulated further into
[tex]c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi } \int_0^{2\pi} f(x) e^{-inx} dx =\frac{1}{2\pi } \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_0^{2\pi} g(x + 2 \pi k) e^{-inx} dx = \frac{1}{2\pi } \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{2\pi k}^{2\pi(k+1)}g(x) e^{-inx} dx = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty} ^\infty g(x) e^{-i nx} dx [/tex]
and that is all nice. However, how does one take the step from this and to the resulting

[tex] \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty g(n) = \sum_{k = - \infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty g(x)e^{-2\pi i k x} dx?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug your result into your ansatz:
[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n \in \mathbb{Z}} c_n \exp(\mathrm{i} n x)=\sum_n \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} y g(y) \exp[\mathrm{i} n(x-y).[/tex]
If you set [itex]x=0[/itex] in this formula you get
[tex]f(x)=\sum_n g(n)=\sum_n \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} y \mathrm g(y) \exp(-\mathrm{i} n y).[/tex]
Finally make a substitution [itex]y=2 \pi x[/itex], leading to the equation you want to prove.

FAQ: Proving the Poisson summation formula (like a physicist)

1. What is the Poisson summation formula?

The Poisson summation formula is a mathematical formula that relates the sum of a function over a discrete set of values to the sum of the function over its dual set of values. It is often used in physics to simplify calculations involving periodic functions.

2. How is the Poisson summation formula derived?

The Poisson summation formula can be derived using techniques from Fourier analysis and complex analysis. It involves transforming a function into its Fourier series representation and then using the properties of the Fourier transform to manipulate the series into a form that resembles the original function.

3. What are some applications of the Poisson summation formula in physics?

The Poisson summation formula has a wide range of applications in physics, including in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to simplify calculations involving periodic potentials, to study the properties of lattice structures, and to understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in periodic systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Poisson summation formula?

While the Poisson summation formula is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for functions that are periodic or have a compact support, and it may not be applicable for functions that do not have these properties. Additionally, it may be challenging to apply the formula in cases where the function is highly oscillatory or rapidly decaying.

5. How is the Poisson summation formula verified experimentally?

The Poisson summation formula can be verified experimentally by comparing the theoretical results obtained using the formula with experimental data. This can be done in cases where the formula is applicable, such as in systems with periodic potentials or in electromagnetic fields in periodic structures. In addition, the formula can also be tested numerically using computer simulations.