Proving the power rule by induction

In summary, the power rule can be proven by induction using the base case of n=1 and the inductive hypothesis of n=k, and the inductive step of n=k+1. The power rule is a mathematical rule that states that the derivative of a function with a variable raised to a power is equal to the original power multiplied by the variable to the power of the original power minus one. Induction is used to prove the power rule because it allows for the proof to be extended to all positive integers. However, the power rule can also be proven using other methods such as the limit definition of a derivative or the product rule. The benefits of using the power rule include the quick and easy calculation of derivatives for functions with variables raised
heimdal

Homework Statement

If a is a natural number, prove by induction that

y = [g(x)]^a => y' = a[g(x)]^(a-1) * g'(x)

Homework Equations

Let a = 2

y' = (2)[g(x)]^(2-1) g(x)
= 2g(x)g'(x)

Let a = 3

y' = (3)[g(x)]^(3-1) g(x)
= 3g(x)^2 * g'(x)

Let k be any natural number

a(k) = y' = ak[g(x)]^(ak-1) * g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did in the above equation was to substitute 2 and 3 (both natural numbers) as a, in order to prove that every natural number k is applicable.

I'm not all too familiar with induction, but am I on the right track? Or am I completely off?

How do I prove the power rule through induction?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how induction works:

1. First, you prove that it is true for a = 1.

2. Then, you assume that it is true for a = k, and then show that this implies that it is true for a = k + 1.

This is enough to show that it is true for all natural numbers.

heimdal said:

Homework Statement

If a is a natural number, prove by induction that

y = [g(x)]^a => y' = a[g(x)]^(a-1) * g'(x)

Homework Equations

Let a = 2

y' = (2)[g(x)]^(2-1) g(x)
= 2g(x)g'(x)

Let a = 3

y' = (3)[g(x)]^(3-1) g(x)
= 3g(x)^2 * g'(x)
Why a= 2 and 3? You haven't shown the statement to be true for 1 and that's the critical starting point.

Let k be any natural number

a(k) = y' = ak[g(x)]^(ak-1) * g'(x)
This is what you were supposed to prove. You are simply asserting it.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did in the above equation was to substitute 2 and 3 (both natural numbers) as a, in order to prove that every natural number k is applicable.

I'm not all too familiar with induction, but am I on the right track? Or am I completely off?

How do I prove the power rule through induction?
What you want to prove is:
If for some k, [itex](ag(x)^k)'= ag(x)^{k-1}g'(x)[/itex] then [itex](ag(x)^{k+1})'= ag(x)^k g'(x)[/itex].

That is, if the statement is true for k, it is true for k+1. Then, if you have also proved it true for k= 1, it must true for k+1= 2. Then, since it is true for k= 2, it is true for k+1= 3, etc.

Try writing [itex](g(x))^{k+1}[/itex] as [itex]g(x)(g(x))^k[/itex] and use the product rule.

Related to Proving the power rule by induction

1. How is the power rule proven by induction?

The power rule can be proven by induction by using the base case of n=1 and the inductive hypothesis of n=k, where k is a positive integer. By using the inductive step of n=k+1, the power rule can be verified for all positive integers.

2. What is the power rule?

The power rule is a mathematical rule that states that the derivative of a function, where the variable is raised to a power, is equal to the original power multiplied by the variable to the power of the original power minus one.

3. Why is induction used to prove the power rule?

Induction is used to prove the power rule because it allows for the proof to be extended to all positive integers, rather than just a few specific cases. This makes the proof more comprehensive and valid.

4. Can the power rule be proven using other methods?

Yes, the power rule can also be proven using the limit definition of a derivative or the product rule, among other methods. However, using induction is one of the most efficient and widely accepted ways to prove the power rule.

5. What are the benefits of using the power rule?

The power rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows for the quick and easy calculation of derivatives for functions with variables raised to a power. It is also often used in more complex derivative calculations and is essential for understanding and solving many mathematical problems.

Back