Proving the Primality of a Polynomial over Finite Fields

In summary, we want to prove that for a polynomial f over a finite field \mathbb{F}_q, if the least common multiple of the orders of its roots is q^n - 1, then one of its roots must have order q^n - 1. We can prove this by showing that if f is reducible, then the least common multiple of the orders of its roots would not be q^n - 1. To do this, we assume that f is a product of irreducible polynomials and use the subfield theorem for finite fields to show that this would lead to a contradiction. Finally, we can prove that this is not the case by showing that the product of q^{d_i} -
Hello Kitty
Let [tex]f = X^n + a_{n-1}X^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1X + a_o[/tex] be a polynomial over [tex]\mathbb{F}_q[/tex] for some prime power [tex]q[/tex] such that the least common multiple of the (multiplicative) orders of its roots (in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{q^n}[/tex]) is [tex]q^n -1[/tex]. I would like to show that one of these roots has order [tex]q^n -1[/tex]. (I.e. the polynomial is primitive.)

I realize that it is sufficient to show that it is irreducible since the orders of roots of irreducible polynomials are all the same.

I assume for contradiction that [tex]f= f_1 \cdots f_r[/tex], a product of [tex]\ge 2[/tex] (non-trivial) irreducible polynomials over [tex]\mathbb{F}_q[/tex]. Let [tex]deg(f_i) = d_i[/tex], so [tex]d_1 + \cdots + d_r = n[/tex].

Now the roots of [tex]f_i[/tex] lie in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{q^{d_i}}[/tex] and so have order dividing [tex]q^{d_i} - 1[/tex].

If all of the [tex]d_i[/tex] divide [tex]n[/tex] then all the roots lie in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{q^{max(d_i)}}[/tex] (noting the subfield theorem for finite fields) and hence all have order dividing [tex]q^{max(d_i)}-1[/tex] which is a contradiction. So we may assume that some [tex]d_i[/tex] does not divide [tex]n[/tex]. Does this imply that [tex]q^{d_i}-1[/tex] does not divide [tex]q^{n}-1[/tex]? (Certainly the converse of this statement is true.) If it did, I'd be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder why there's not much interest. Too hard, or boring maybe? Possibly I confused people with my erroneous statement:

If all of the [tex]d_i [/tex] divide n then all the roots lie in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{q^{max(d_i)}}[/tex] (noting the subfield theorem for finite fields) and hence all have order dividing [tex]: q^{max(d_i)}-1[/tex]...

Anyway, just in case anyone is interested, I think I've solved it. It's easier than I thought:

Since the roots of [tex]f_i[/tex] lie in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{q^{d_i}}[/tex] and so have order dividing [tex]q^{d_i} - 1[/tex], the least common multiple of their orders divides the least common multiple of the [tex]q^{d_i} - 1[/tex]. The latter clearly divides [tex](q^{d_1} - 1)(q^{d_2} - 1) ... (q^{d_r} - 1)[/tex], and so a sufficient condition for a contradiction would be that

[tex](q^{d_1} - 1)(q^{d_2} - 1) ... (q^{d_r} - 1) < (q^{d_1+ d_2 + \cdots + d_r} - 1)[/tex],

which is easy to verify.

FAQ: Proving the Primality of a Polynomial over Finite Fields

1. What is a primitive polynomial?

A primitive polynomial is a polynomial with coefficients in a finite field that generates the entire field when used in polynomial division. It is also a polynomial that cannot be factored into two lower degree polynomials with coefficients in the same field.

2. What is the significance of primitive polynomials?

Primitive polynomials are important in applications of finite fields, such as coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

3. How can you determine if a polynomial is primitive?

A polynomial can be tested for primitivity by checking if it generates the field by successive powers in polynomial division. Alternatively, there are algorithms that can determine the primality of a polynomial.

4. Are all primitive polynomials irreducible?

No, not all primitive polynomials are irreducible. While all irreducible polynomials are primitive, there are primitive polynomials that can be factored into lower degree polynomials. However, these lower degree polynomials will not have coefficients in the same field.

5. Can a polynomial be primitive in one field but not in another?

Yes, a polynomial can be primitive in one field but not in another. The concept of primitivity is specific to a particular finite field, so a polynomial may be primitive in one field but not in another with a different set of coefficients.