Proving the Solution of a Recurrence Relation Using Induction

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the solution of the given recurrence is $X(n+1)=\frac{1}{n+1}\binom{2n}{n}$, which has been proven using induction. The steps to the proof involve substituting the assumed solution $X(k)=\frac{1}{k}\binom{2(k-1)}{k-1}$ for each $1 \leq k \leq n$ and using a formula from combinatorics to continue the proof.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have to show that the solution of the recurrence $$X(1)=1, X(n)=\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}X(i)X(n-i), \text{ for } n>1$$
is $$X(n+1)=\frac{1}{n+1} \binom{2n}{n}$$

I used induction to show that.

I have done the following:

For $n=0$ : $X(1)=1 \checkmark $

We assume that it stands for each $1 \leq k \leq n$:
$$X(k)=\frac{1}{k}\binom{2(k-1)}{k-1} \ \ \ \ \ (*)$$

We want to show that it stands for $n+1$:

$$X(n+1)=\sum_{i=1}^{n} X(i)X(n+1-i)=\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{i}\binom{2(i-1)}{i-1}\frac{1}{n+1-i}\binom{2(n-i)}{n-i}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{i}\frac{(2(i-1))!}{(i-1)!(2(i-1)-(i-1))!}\frac{1}{n+1-i}\binom{(2(n-i))!}{(n-1)!(2(n-i)-(n-i))!}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{(2(i-1))!}{i!(i-1)!}\frac{(2(n-i))!}{(n-i+1)!(n-i)!}$$

How could I continue?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do we have to use maybe a formula from combinatorics, for example $$\binom{2n}{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{m}^2$$ ?? (Wondering)

Related to Proving the Solution of a Recurrence Relation Using Induction

What is the purpose of "Show that it is the solution"?

The purpose of "Show that it is the solution" is to prove or provide evidence that a particular solution or answer is correct.

What does it mean to "Show that it is the solution"?

To "Show that it is the solution" means to demonstrate or explain why a specific solution or answer is the correct one, using logical reasoning and evidence.

Why is it important to "Show that it is the solution" in scientific research?

"Showing that it is the solution" is important in scientific research because it ensures that the conclusions drawn are supported by evidence and can be replicated by others, leading to more reliable and accurate results.

What are some common methods used to "Show that it is the solution" in scientific research?

Some common methods used to "Show that it is the solution" in scientific research include experiments, data analysis, mathematical models, and peer review.

How can one improve their ability to "Show that it is the solution" in scientific research?

To improve one's ability to "Show that it is the solution" in scientific research, one can practice critical thinking and analytical skills, use a systematic and rigorous approach, and seek feedback and collaboration from other scientists.