Proving the Triangle Inequality Theorem using Coordinates

In summary, the Triangle Inequality Theorum states that in a triangle, the sum of any two sides is always greater than the third side. This can be proven using the distance formula in a coordinate system, where the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by the formula √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2). By comparing the distances along each side of the triangle, it can be shown that the length of each side is less than the sum of the lengths of the other two sides. This proof applies to any given triangle or set of three sides.
siliang

Homework Statement

Prove the Triangle Inequality Theorum using the coordinate system.

Homework Equations

The corners of the triangles will be at (x1,y1), (x2, y2), (x3,y3)

The Attempt at a Solution

The proof that I know is proving that |x+y|<=|x|+|y|:

-|x|<x<|x|, and -|y|<y<|y|
then -|x|-|y|<x+y<|x|+|y|
absolute value proterty yields |x+y|<=|x|+|y|

I have absolutely no idea how to incorporate the coordinate system into my proof. I would assume the distance formula has something to do with it. Can someone please help? > . <

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, take the distance along the longest side. (I'm going to assume that x1 to x3 is the side that is longest) So, you know the formula for distance between those two points. Then prove that this distance is less than the sum of the lengths of the x1-x2 line and the x2-x3 line.

How does the distance from (x1, y1) to (x2, y2)

PLUS

the distance from (x2, y2) to (x3, y3)

compare to

the distance from (x1, y1) to (x3, y3)

?

the triangle inequality states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle is larger than the third. Thanks for the help. But what if I wanted to prove is that for ANY given triangle or for any given 3 sides of a triangle, the triangle inequality applies?

siliang said:
the triangle inequality states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle is larger than the third. Thanks for the help. But what if I wanted to prove is that for ANY given triangle or for any given 3 sides of a triangle, the triangle inequality applies?

Just do the same process for all three cases. Prove for each side that the length of that side is less than the length of the other two.

FAQ: Proving the Triangle Inequality Theorem using Coordinates

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

2. How is the Triangle Inequality Theorem proven using coordinates?

To prove the Triangle Inequality Theorem using coordinates, we use the distance formula to calculate the lengths of each side of the triangle. Then, we compare the sum of any two sides to the length of the third side.

3. What are the steps for proving the Triangle Inequality Theorem using coordinates?

The steps for proving the Triangle Inequality Theorem using coordinates are as follows:
1. Identify the coordinates of each vertex of the triangle
2. Use the distance formula to calculate the length of each side
3. Add the lengths of any two sides
4. Compare the sum to the length of the third side
5. If the sum is greater than the third side, the Triangle Inequality Theorem is proven.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

Yes, there is one exception to the Triangle Inequality Theorem. If the three points representing the vertices of the triangle are collinear (lie on the same line), then the theorem does not hold true.

5. Why is the Triangle Inequality Theorem important?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem is important because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used in many geometric proofs. It also helps us understand the relationships between the sides of a triangle and can be applied in real-world situations, such as in determining the shortest distance between two points.

Back