Proving transitivity in equivalence relation a ~ b iff 2a+3b is div by 5

It is a concise and logical proof that shows the transitivity of the relation. In summary, the relation ~ on the set of integers is an equivalence relation because it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This has been proven by showing that if m~n and n~q, then m~q.
jeszo

Homework Statement

Relation on set of integers.

a~b if and only if 2a+3b is divisible by 5
show that ~ is an equivalence relation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proved that the relation is reflexive and symmetric, but I'm unsure of my approach at proving transitivity.

if the relation is transitive, then: m~n and n~q implies m~q

by the relation: 5 divides 2m + 3n, so let 2m+3n=5r
5 divides 2n + 3q, so let 2n + 3q= 5t (r,t are integers)

==> 2m=5r-3n and 3q=5t-2n

if m~q, then 2m+3q must be divisible by 5.
2m + 3q= (5r-3n)+(5t-2n)= 5(r+t)-3n-2n
= 5(r+t)-5n

sum of numbers divisible by "a" = a number divisible by "a", so 5(r+t)-5n is divisible by 5, implying that 2m+3q is divisible by 5 which implies that m~q, which proves transitivity of the relation.

---------------------------------------

Something tells me this proof is off. Please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with that argument.

Related to Proving transitivity in equivalence relation a ~ b iff 2a+3b is div by 5

1. How do you define transitivity in an equivalence relation?

Transitivity in an equivalence relation means that if two elements are related to each other, and one of them is also related to a third element, then the other element must also be related to the third element.

2. How does the equation 2a+3b being divisible by 5 prove transitivity in this equivalence relation?

The equation 2a+3b being divisible by 5 is used as a condition to determine if two elements are related in this equivalence relation. If the sum of 2a and 3b is divisible by 5, then the two elements are considered equivalent.

3. What is the significance of using the equation 2a+3b to prove transitivity?

The equation 2a+3b provides a concrete and objective way to determine if two elements are equivalent in this relation. It removes any ambiguity and allows for a clear and consistent definition of transitivity.

4. Can you provide an example of how this equivalence relation works?

For example, if we have the set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and the relation a ~ b iff 2a+3b is divisible by 5, we can see that 1 ~ 4 because 2(1)+3(4)=10 which is divisible by 5. And we can also see that 2 ~ 5 because 2(2)+3(5)=14 which is divisible by 5. However, 1 and 5 are not related since 2(1)+3(5)=13 which is not divisible by 5.

5. How is transitivity important in mathematics and science?

Transitivity plays a crucial role in establishing relationships and patterns in mathematics and science. It allows us to make logical deductions and inferences based on existing relationships. In the context of this equivalence relation, transitivity helps us to determine the equivalence of elements and make predictions about other elements in the set.